• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I thought you were talking about G. Stewart for a second.

Alex Glenn hasn't really kicked on like I thought he would. He's handy enough, but I feel he's not worth what we'd have to fork out to move him south.

He's a good player, although I don't see him as a huge improvement on what we've got.

Every side, even premiership winning ones, have some either dud players or players that just get the job done in a few positions.

The broncos stack their starting 13 with origin level stars, yet have a bench filled with these job fillers to pay for it.

We have an outstanding side filled with origin and international quality players, and use the second-rowers and Brown on bench as these "get the job done", cheap players.

If we replace our cheap job filling second-rowers with a more expensive option for almost no to little benefit we can't afford to keep a brilliant side across the rest of the park, not worth the risk

No thanks
I remember reading he misses more tackles per minute played then any other forward. Add to that he is hardly anything special in attack.
Overpriced, overrated

He's a good player, although I don't see him as a huge improvement on what we've got.

Every side, even premiership winning ones, have some either dud players or players that just get the job done in a few positions.

The broncos stack their starting 13 with origin level stars, yet have a bench filled with these job fillers to pay for it.

We have an outstanding side filled with origin and international quality players, and use the second-rowers and Brown on bench as these "get the job done", cheap players.

If we replace our cheap job filling second-rowers with a more expensive option for almost no to little benefit we can't afford to keep a brilliant side across the rest of the park, not worth the risk
No disrespect to Frank winterstein but you dont see Alex Glenn as an improvement in him or Lewis Brown??

No disrespect to Frank winterstein but you dont see Alex Glenn as an improvement in him or Lewis Brown??
No I do (to brown, I like winterstein), it's just that he is just a guy that gets his job done of which is no real difference to what we already have. Siro has an opportunity to continue to develop into a star. Although winterstein and him just get the job done at the moment, which is great, it's what you want. For glenn's price tag (although not too expensive) we'd lose the ability to stack the rest of our squad with real stars.

Glenn is also quite small and not a better defender than winterstein imo.

I want brown gone still although I'd rather Hastings take his place until green moves on where Hastings can move the 5/8

Yeah i get what you are saying but Winterstein is a defensive player only. No attack and doesnt do the hard yards. Which is a shame because the bloke looks like a real athlete. Im not sure if he is serving an apprenticeship or not but if you vould get Glenn for alright money it would be a good signing.

Yeah i get what you are saying but Winterstein is a defensive player only. No attack and doesnt do the hard yards. Which is a shame because the bloke looks like a real athlete. Im not sure if he is serving an apprenticeship or not but if you vould get Glenn for alright money it would be a good signing.

If you consider that in each set there are only 5 tackles, and our coached pattern from returning a kick is generally the 1st is returned by the FB or winger, 2nd by a centre, 3rd often the other winger .... throw in a prop or lock, and not much left for 2nd rowers. In teams where you have a cordner or hess you would play a different pattern.

From kick offs or handovers the front rowers and lock take it up and then the halves take over.

Whilst I agree that there are certainly better players than Frankie around @Harry Smith is insightful in his observation that the cost saving on having him means more coin can be spent elsewhere.

I believe Baz has viewed our 2nd row this year as both a structural and tradesman's position and as long as they hold it all together he is happy.

Next year I think as many do Frank will be traded, and as you say a more energetic 2nd rower purchased .... but this will also require a change to both our attack and defence patterns ... another reason why Kapow or Lawrence is not in the 2nd row.

I also suspect this is the main reason why Brown is preferred on the Bench, so if Frank or Siro go down, he can slot into the 2nd row without a major disruption to the structure.

If you consider that in each set there are only 5 tackles, and our coached pattern from returning a kick is generally the 1st is returned by the FB or winger, 2nd by a centre, 3rd often the other winger .... throw in a prop or lock, and not much left for 2nd rowers. In teams where you have a cordner or hess you would play a different pattern.

From kick offs or handovers the front rowers and lock take it up and then the halves take over.

Whilst I agree that there are certainly better players than Frankie around @Harry Smith is insightful in his observation that the cost saving on having him means more coin can be spent elsewhere.

I believe Baz has viewed our 2nd row this year as both a structural and tradesman's position and as long as they hold it all together he is happy.

Next year I think as many do Frank will be traded, and as you say a more energetic 2nd rower purchased .... but this will also require a change to both our attack and defence patterns ... another reason why Kapow or Lawrence is not in the 2nd row.

I also suspect this is the main reason why Brown is preferred on the Bench, so if Frank or Siro go down, he can slot into the 2nd row without a major disruption to the structure.
Yep. I get what you are saying. But you are mainly talking about kick return sets. The hard yards. What about attacking sets? How to you use an edge if there is a weak link?

Also if you had Alex Glenn in the side you could piss off Lewis Brown and have Winterstein, Hastings and 2 front rowers on the bench. Glenn woyld be a bit more expensive than Brown but if they picked up a good front rower it would too be worth it.

Yep. I get what you are saying. But you are mainly talking about kick return sets. The hard yards. What about attacking sets? How to you use an edge if there is a weak link?

Also if you had Alex Glenn in the side you could piss off Lewis Brown and have Winterstein, Hastings and 2 front rowers on the bench. Glenn woyld be a bit more expensive than Brown but if they picked up a good front rower it would too be worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Frankie and respect the job he has done tightening our edge defence. In attack he is always there and it is Green's choice whether to use him or not. You watch, he is always there but Green uses him as a foil or has him run a line and cuts him out. Again I believe he is following script.

We get away with a reduced attacking effort by our 2nd rowers by having 4 props and a lock that are mobile and energetic. It is what we have and the utilisation of each player is optimised. For example would you like Siro and Frankie to take more hit ups and Kapow and AFB less.

Having said that he fits our current status and playing roster but a more dynamic running 2nd rower is probably required to challenge a title.

I'm fine with our current backrowers and it suits our game plan which isn't based around backrowers. Frank Winterstein is solid and provides a big body and good hole runner on the edge and has developed a good combo with Green, Sironen gives us x factor, offloads some ball playing and the occasional kick and there is signs of a combo with DCE. I'm happy with them 2 plus Ben Turbo and Bainbridge in the wings we are in a good spot. I think we could use another top line prop to partner Kapow, and replace Brown with Hastings or Cullen to give us some more value off the bench but the team can stay as it is for 5 years and I'd be happy.

Our second rowers (and Jake) must be tackling machines, first and foremost. They rarely make a hitup and are frequently cut out of fourth tackle plays.

Siro and (to a lesser extent) Frank can run a line occasionally, but really we don't need too much flair here.

Large, mobile bodies who maintain structure is fine by me. Prefer Fensom to Glenn.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8