get out the chequebook!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Any 1st grade coach or player will tell you they would want to go back to back.

But it cant happen in todays game, right ?

Would it stop people like Des trying ?

MadMarcus link said:
[quote author=MPC link=topic=186862.msg323444#msg323444 date=1300167114]
It's very difficult to predict the state of the team in 08 in relation to the cap. I'm positive that a few of our gun players were on backended deals which has chewed into the cap big time the last 2 years. This is the reason we have let so many players go. You then throw in the upgraded contracts for Lyon, Matai and co and it's pretty easy to see how easy it is to spend your cap allowance.

Make no mistake Saints over the next couple of years will get hammered with palyers leaving. Unfortunately this is the way the cap works, it is near impossible to have a dynasty these days.

Wolfman and Robbo received pretty handsome pay rises as well, and then we went and signed T-Rex who, despite being touted as a forward when he signed, has spent most of his time with us playing on the wing.  I think it was a mistake to spend so much money on wingers.  We probably should have kept one of Wolfman and Robbo and let the other go, not signed T-Rex and maybe signed a couple of solid first graders to hold the fort until Oldfield/Hoppa/Whare step up properly.

Wingers don't win premierships.  I think our forward depth is suffering because we have too many very well paid outside backs.
[/quote]

I think your spot on.  As good as Robbo & Wolfman were in 08 and how good they are, if there is one spot where you don't want to have too much cash tied up in, its on the wing.

Greg choice. Stop being deliberately stupid.

You know that the team named for this week is not the full strength team. You also know that even if players are suspended or injured we still have to pay them & that counts under the cap.
You also know that there was no salary cap in the 70's & that we had more money than anyone else in the 70's.

What are you trying to prove by all this? Who would you like to see at the club? What players (of equal value) would you sack to make these purchases?

We've assembled a fantastic squad & if luck or the gods or whatever decides to **** on us then so be it. All we can do is hope that it turns around later in the year to a more manageable level.

Duff link said:
You also know that there was no salary cap in the 70's & that we had more money than anyone else in the 70's.

How did we have so much more money than other teams in the 70s?
Where did it come from?
And why has it seemingly dried up now?

Just got me thinkin Duff..

SwornEagle link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186862.msg323848#msg323848 date=1300281670]

Where did it come from?

[/quote]

No idea where it came from but a major reason it dried up was the Super League War we and the stronger ARL clubs lent the ARL $16 Million and we still haven't seen a brass razoo of that  back.

SwornEagle link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186862.msg323848#msg323848 date=1300281670]

Where did it come from?

[/quote]

The leagues club was cash cow in the 70's and had around $20m cash in the bank which enabled manly to buy anyone that they wanted to. 

Like the Harbord diggers the club has been poorly run and was not upgraded over the years when the club had money and now has little patronage compared to the 70's.

Apart from Perry who was hot & cold, legend Beaver , Bell a class centre & Le strange who was underrated imo off the bench we have close to 2008 & a pretty competitive side. Without Stewart we beat the premiers St G convincingly( unlike the final when 10 were out) & we beat a full strength Storm last year with thier 5 million $$$ salary cap. This season will turn around in our favour & it just may be the business end - not a spent force like some think. A couple more fowards would be great - but we will survive with what we have. Injuries are our biggest enemy.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4