Garricks performance at centre

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have been blessed a Manly supporter through out our Glorious Premiership Winning years and spoilt with some of the Biggest World class Exciting and dominating backs in the game
And nothing was more deflating than seeing a centre like the Pedestrian and Predictable Parker

Nothing Personal just my Passionate point of view and that is what forums are for
Parker went ok, no mistakes or missed tackles

Garrick needs to improve his slide defence and his communication with defenders on either side.
This should come with practice & game time.

Centre is one of the hardest positions defensively - one reason why Parker was chosen for so long - he has good D playing centre against most NRL players, except the real speedsters.

I didn't see Garrick pass once to Saab on Sunday, so hard to say how his left to right passing is.

He should do some sprint training with Saab and Koula as I feel he takes a little time for those legs to get going.

In time, he will be an excellent centre. I just hope we don't get burnt too many times in the next few weeks while he is working it out.

I've said for a while that Brad Parker is the best defensive centre in the NRL. If he had speed he'd be a perfect centre. Problem is he has none.

Runs great lines, just not as fast as some (interestingly, Steve Matai was never blessed with great speed either.....). But with Parker its why I've become a believer that back row could well be his best spot.

Passing to the wingers on Sunday wasn't easy. From what I saw on the skinnier field, centres were running out of room. I'd rather wait until we get onto a regulation size field before passing any real judgement.

Garrick needs to improve his slide defence and his communication with defenders on either side.
This should come with practice & game time.

Centre is one of the hardest positions defensively - one reason why Parker was chosen for so long - he has good D playing centre against most NRL players, except the real speedsters.

I didn't see Garrick pass once to Saab on Sunday, so hard to say how his left to right passing is.

He should do some sprint training with Saab and Koula as I feel he takes a little time for those legs to get going.

In time, he will be an excellent centre. I just hope we don't get burnt too many times in the next few weeks while he is working it out.
Roger Fabri recently revealed that Garrick runs 10m per second and Saab 10.4. It’s obvious that over a distance, Saab is much faster, so that speaks to Garrick’s initial acceleration being superior to Saab. Essentially, Garrick is the fastest player over a short burst at our club.

Roger Fabri recently revealed that Garrick runs 10m per second and Saab 10.4. It’s obvious that over a distance, Saab is faster, so that speaks to Garrick’s initial acceleration being superior to Saab.

I am talking about the first 10 - 15 metres. Koula is probably 15% quicker than anyone over that initial distance. Then again, Brooks is pretty fast over 15m.
I realise he is fast once he gets going.

Garrick has also swapped from the left to the right (not sure why this is) In the grand scheme of things it may make no difference but some players defend better on one side of the field.

That first Souths try was shocking. Garrick missed a one on one tackle on Kolomatangi and was lucky he had Olakuatu behind him to stop the try. Garrick then strolls back to the line and watches Cook put Kennar over without moving from his spot. Then gets rag dolled around by the Souths players in the middle of their celebration.

I hope no one expected him to Jamie Lyon in his first game.

Its a tough position to play. He seemed to warm into the position and being a smart player will get better every week but dont expect miracles in less than 50 games.

I am talking about the first 10 - 15 metres. Koula is probably 15% quicker than anyone over that initial distance. Then again, Brooks is pretty fast over 15m.
I realise he is fast once he gets going.
yeah I am discussing the same thing. If Garrick runs 10m/per second and Saab runs 10.4m/per second (as per Fabri’s evidence) but Saab is obviously going to keep pulling away from Garrick with the long strides, Garrick must be slightly quicker to accelerate. For Garrick not to be quicker to accelerate, speaks to Garrick eventually pulling away from Saab, which seems highly unlikely?

Personally, to the untrained eye, I feel that Saab is the one that takes some time to hit top speed, due to his stride length. He’s like a grasshopper and does not have the dynamic step or burst of speed, rather the effortless glide that gets into a rhythm after a few strides.

One thing I can agree with you on, Koula has everyone covered in all aspects.

There are several points to consider in my opinion:
1) who gives damn how fast a player is over 100m, as rarely does a player actually run 100m in one bolt. Ilias easily caught Saab coming from behind, before Saab was in full flight. The greatest sprinter of our time, Usain Bolt never won a start over the first 20m, however, was untouchable thereafter.

2) Roger Fabri keeps boasting how he’s lowered times over 100m, however, what about 10m and 20m, as 100m is basically irrelevant

3) Phil Blake was probably the quickest I have ever seen over 10m and 20m, however, not over 100m. Dale Shearer and Michael O’Connor were the same, and that’s how they left defenders in their wake. Slater also and Fittler, the latter more so for his footwork and ability to maintain high speed over a short space.

4) I think Koula, Garrick, Brooks and Bullemor are our fastest over 10 to 20m and maybe also Turbo, and that’s what creates the breaks, and then it’s great to have other players at full flight who can finish it off. DCE isn’t too bad either over 10m.

5) The game is about metres gained, you have 6 tackles and ideally you want the team to advance at least 50m in five tackles and then kick the crap out of the ball so the opposition have to work it out from within 10m of their try line, and hopefully their last play is somewhere near the halfway line…. And so we go again! Hoping for a mistake.

The guys who tend to make the 10 metres are those who are the biggest or the fastest over 10m and I think, barring injuries, we have a nice mix.

Post contact metres is a huge advantage, and that’s where players like Haumole Olakau'atu and potentially Paeseka and Lodge come in to the equation, when they can march another 3 or 4m after initial contact.

Always an interesting discussion on ST and just my opinion.

Garrick has all the attributes, the problem is if he isn't afforded the chance to learn from his mistakes at the highest level, say Talau comes straight in and pushes him wide for Saab's injury, then no one will know.

I honestly don't think he's that much better at wing than Vega, I still have nightmares of his performance against Young last year in Mudgee.

He's a fast and durable fullback, but you have to suck it and see how he'll develop as a centre, and changing his role in the team doesn't help him, or the proposed positional shift.

I think Garrick goes great at centre. He is elusive and fast, and souths were back pedalling a few times when he took them on. Decent line break too.

Last year in the game where he played centre (before getting injured) he scored a couple of tries from memory, one he stood up his opposition.

I know at training he is considered one of the elite backs.

He has great skills, an attacking mindset and is a prolific scorer of tries. Good to have him closer to the action. He will only get better with more exposure to the position.

He went fine. As others have pointed out, a couple of poor defensive reads / positioning but that should come. He did still have the wingers mindset a few times though in that he forgot he had someone on his outside, ie Saab.

Good point from @rmd re speed. Speed over 10-20m is vital as that's what makes breaks. I've heard Koula and Saab both say Koula is the quickest up to about 40mt but Saab gets him after that. The NFL Combine for college players hoping to be drafted into the NFL has just concluded and there's a reason the key speed measurable is the 40 yard dash, not the 100. Not to say long range speed isn't advantageous. Saab often jogs up along side guys that have made the initial break to finish off the try.

Garrick played well at centre but does need to improve on his defence. The club should try and get Jamie Lyon to give both centres some coaching and tips.

There are several points to consider in my opinion:
1) who gives damn how fast a player is over 100m, as rarely does a player actually run 100m in one bolt. Ilias easily caught Saab coming from behind, before Saab was in full flight. The greatest sprinter of our time, Usain Bolt never won a start over the first 20m, however, was untouchable thereafter.

2) Roger Fabri keeps boasting how he’s lowered times over 100m, however, what about 10m and 20m, as 100m is basically irrelevant

3) Phil Blake was probably the quickest I have ever seen over 10m and 20m, however, not over 100m. Dale Shearer and Michael O’Connor were the same, and that’s how they left defenders in their wake. Slater also and Fittler, the latter more so for his footwork and ability to maintain high speed over a short space.

4) I think Koula, Garrick, Brooks and Bullemor are our fastest over 10 to 20m and maybe also Turbo, and that’s what creates the breaks, and then it’s great to have other players at full flight who can finish it off. DCE isn’t too bad either over 10m.

5) The game is about metres gained, you have 6 tackles and ideally you want the team to advance at least 50m in five tackles and then kick the crap out of the ball so the opposition have to work it out from within 10m of their try line, and hopefully their last play is somewhere near the halfway line…. And so we go again! Hoping for a mistake.

The guys who tend to make the 10 metres are those who are the biggest or the fastest over 10m and I think, barring injuries, we have a nice mix.

Post contact metres is a huge advantage, and that’s where players like Haumole Olakau'atu and potentially Paeseka and Lodge come in to the equation, when they can march another 3 or 4m after initial contact.

Always an interesting discussion on ST and just my opinion.
Sorry but I had to stop reading when you said Ilias caught Saab from behind. That just flat out did not happen. In the footage, you can see Ilias on the 10m line watching the play unfold, when he sees Turbo start to ‘play’ from the inside 10 and attempt to link, he runs on angle towards the 20m line. Then Saab gets the ball about 2m out from his own line, Ilias is already over the 20m line, making an angled run towards the sideline. He managed to ankle tap Saab at full stretch. A quicker player would have forced Saab in field, there was that much of a head start.

You can Google the footage and it’s available on Fox Sports website.

Sorry but I had to stop reading when you said Ilias caught Saab from behind. That just flat out did not happen. In the footage, you can see Ilias on the 10m line watching the play unfold, when he sees Turbo start to ‘play’ from the inside 10 and attempt to link, he runs on angle towards the 20m line. Then Saab gets the ball about 2m out from his own line, Ilias is already over the 20m line, making an angled run towards the sideline. He managed to ankle tap Saab at full stretch. A quicker player would have forced Saab in field, there was that much of a head start.

You can Google the footage and it’s available on Fox Sports website.

That’s 100% correct Ilias came from an angle and if the field was the correct width he had no chance of catching Saab.

Was listening to Rugby League Guru and he was saying that when he was at the Manly captains run Manly people told him that Talau has told he is a winger here.

Grain of salt and all that, take it as you will

Was listening to Rugby League Guru and he was saying that when he was at the Manly captains run Manly people told him that Talau has told he is a winger here.

Grain of salt and all that, take it as you will
Vega should be next up as a winger. He has a heap of shizxle in his game that only gets wiped away by first grade experience. The current team can carry his defensive mis-reads for the doubt he places in the opposition three quarters who only play the game cause theyre tall, muscular and athletic. Ray Ray isn't that. Bro just wants to smash.

Vega should be next up as a winger. He has a heap of shizxle in his game that only gets wiped away by first grade experience. The current team can carry his defensive mis-reads for the doubt he places in the opposition three quarters who only play the game cause theyre tall, muscular and athletic. Ray Ray isn't that. Bro just wants to smash.
Personally I'm not huge on Veaga as a first grader. I'd go Talau first but its not a hill I'm willing to die on

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8