Garrick article: I Belong.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
https://www.exclusiveinsight.com/its-great-to-belong-reuben-garrick/

Part of the article

It’s Great To Belong
JUNE 18, 2019
|IN SPORT
|BY REUBEN GARRICK
I feel as though I belong.

When you have been on the outside looking in, then ‘belonging’ comes with a variety of emotions, but for me, the most significant emotion I feel right now is gratitude.

This year at Manly has been a dream come true. It’s the realisation of everything I hoped for when I was wide-eyed youngster and then when I was going through that really tough transitional period between showing potential as a junior and realising that potential as a senior player.

And, like the road faced by almost every player, there were a few potholes in mine.

I played my junior footy at Gerringong, south of Wollongong, and therefore was part of the St George Illawarra Dragons system. That’s where I played SG Ball, Under 20s and then made it through to the First Grade squad.

But that’s where things stalled. I spent all of the 2018 season in that top squad, but didn’t get a run in the NRL. I was on the outside looking in. I was pretty bitter about that … not getting a shot.

I thought I was training the house down. I was fitter than ever. Also, up until then, right through that Dragons system, I was always making the next level ahead of time, so it came as a bit of a shock when I wasn’t given a crack.

But if you look hard enough, out of every negative there is a positive and that certainly was the case in 2018 where I spent the season playing in the NSW Cup with the Illawarra Cutters. I may have been a bit filthy about not making the top grade, but I was learning a lot – about football and life.

Playing Cup was the first time I had really played against men. It’s a big step up from juniors.

You’re not a kid any more. You’re not treated like one and you’re not expected to play like one. The shift up was massive.

You quickly had to get used to the contact, playing with injuries and just the week-in, week-out grind that you can only understand by living it. You learn quickly what real football is all about.

That’s also where I found a new respect for those around me – at all levels. I was on a contract, which meant I was being paid as a professional footballer. But I was playing alongside others who were not.

There were guys who would barely make it to training on time because they had been concreting all day. They would change from their work clothes into their training gear then race straight out into some fitness drills … after being on the end of a shovel all day!

I have had a glimpse of what these blokes had to endure. I’ve been a concrete labourer, trialling via an apprenticeship. I know what a hard day’s work is all about and it’s not a lot of fun.

That year in the NSW Cup made me realise what an opportunity you are given when the door is opened to a professional contract. In fact it made me train harder to achieve my football goals and to also never feel sorry for yourself if things aren’t going exactly to plan.

So when the opportunity came along to join Manly, I grabbed it with both hands. As soon as I joined the club I felt different. My pre-season was unbelievable.

The comparison with how I felt at the Sea Eagles compared with the Dragons can be summed up in one game – a pre-season game. At St George we had a trial against English team Hull.

For some reason I was a pack of nerves before the game and that carried onto the field and I had a shocker. Fast forward 12 months and during the trials with Manly I felt completely different. I was super confident, knew what I had to do and I did it.

That’s where the ‘belonging’ really made a difference. I felt at home within the playing and coaching groups. I would look around and felt that everyone respected me and I was confident in myself and that made me feel like I was ready … ready for that next step.

The call-up came for that first game this season, and as I said, it has been a dream come true. Game after game my confidence has grown. I now see and understand the difference between the NSW Cup and the NRL.

In the last couple of weeks I have found how hard it is to constantly be ready and lift for every game, as you can never be complacent in your preparation or recovery – you have to do everything perfect, all the time.
Having the support of the coaching staff and the players around me has also boosted my confidence.

Like most outside backs, I love to take the opposition on. For me, that’s why I play the game, to back yourself and come out on top. But I also know that you never stop learning and there are parts of my game I will continue to work on.

Rueben really feels like a Manly player to me and exactly the type of player that Des loves. A real solid honest hard worker with an amazing work ethic, he was a great pick up for us. Some guys come to the club and even come through the system but don't always have that Manly feel about them. An example would be Dylan Walker. Great player however he feels in my mind like he is still an ex souths player, and maybe that is a bit unfair of me but its just how I see him. Rueben reminds me a lot of a goal kicking version of Robbo and he was one of our best. Great to have good people like Reuben at our club.

Rueben really feels like a Manly player to me and exactly the type of player that Des loves. A real solid honest hard worker with an amazing work ethic, he was a great pick up for us. Some guys come to the club and even come through the system but don't always have that Manly feel about them. An example would be Dylan Walker. Great player however he feels in my mind like he is still an ex souths player, and maybe that is a bit unfair of me but its just how I see him. Rueben reminds me a lot of a goal kicking version of Robbo and he was one of our best. Great to have good people like Reuben at our club.

I remember Robbos last goal kick very fondly

Lovely article. Reuben speaks very well. Gives you a real insight into the type of person he is. He seems like a genuine, humble and down to earth guy.

If you click on the link to the article there are a couple of paragraphs and photos that are missing from the OP.

Gee that article is way too well spoken for a football player. I guess he is only a winger LOL.

Do yourself a favour it is a great read

I'm not saying it's what has happened in this case, but many of these stories have the ole ghost writer. Rubes gives the gist and the writer flowers it up.

I agree, it's a very good read either way.

I'm not saying it's what has happened in this case, but many of these stories have the ole ghost writer. Rubes gives the gist and the writer flowers it up.

I agree, it's a very good read either way.
Reading Lewi brown's article after that one, it is much more 'top of mind', stream of consciousness stuff - I'd say these are based on interviews which are then edited into a first-person article format. Regardless of whether he has spoken it or written it down however...he is articulate and quite profound for a footy player, so well done to him! Plus he loves his Mum and isn't afraid to show it, which is a big tick in my book.

I think Sandwich will be in the running for the NRL's Rookie of the Year. He'll end up our leading try scorer, and points scorer.
He is the type of centre three-quarter I like - skilful, fast, smart, good hands and doesn't rely on his bulk to make breaks. His goal kicking is an added bonus.
I think Sandwich was unlucky last season not to have broken into first grade but, if you'll remember, Illawarra had no injuries in its top 17 for the first 14 rounds or so. All he needed was a chance and, luckily for us, he wasn't given one.
He's now one of the keys to our charge to the finals.

Great read. Not having a go at the bloke but concrete labouring isn't what it used to be. These days line pumps and booms do all the heavy lifting. No more broken ankles barrowing full (not half full) barrows over boards across the mesh. Brickies and plasterers have still got it tough as do plumbing apprentices who do all the digging. @:)

I remember Robbos last goal kick very fondly

Some of you know I had the absolute privilege if going to brooky to our Canberra game with Gifty on his first time back to the ground and club

Snake being snake made sure everyone knew although it was going to be low key

Obviously was a great day and an emotional day with many champions congregating together and breaking bread

Being a Saturday afternoon we had the chance for a cold ale and a feed after the game

Everyone of this squad are full of respect g
For each other, for themselves ,for the fans and the club

My memory these days get a little foggy after midnight but I do recall standing st a bar and playing pool against no other than R Garrick and the main man Robbo himself

The conversations were priceless
They were like Peas in a pod and I don’t know who got the biggest kick

It was amazing for an old manly fan to see

I see blokes like Rueben and Cade as the glue to our next dynasty

Mark my words feathered friends
It is closer than you think
We can rock the end of this decade and take it into the next

I am sure there are stories in other clubs about similar stuff but god damm we are looking at something special

Go manly

Reuben is someone I could really see kick on and become a valuable representative player, i.e. state of origin/Australian international

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8