Games Away From Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
There are concerns by some about the club moving some home games away from Brookvale.

I am of this opinion:

I understand our club is not financially well off and rely on any revenue possible, especially since our ground is second rate.

I understand that for us to survive, I rather lose 2 home games a year to another ground than to have no club to support at all.

In saying that, I demand the majority of home games be played at Brookvale.

Last of all, Melbourne games are no longer the highlight of the season for me. This year, it's Round 8 & 20 when we play the scums. Not only do I want to see us beat them, I want us to beat them by 100 to 0.

---

Ramrod said:
There are concerns by some about the club moving some home games away from Brookvale.

I am of this opinion:

I understand our club is not financially well off and rely on any revenue possible, especially since our ground is second rate.

I understand that for us to survive, I rather lose 2 home games a year to another ground than to have no club to support at all.

In saying that, I demand the majority of home games be played at Brookvale.

Last of all, Melbourne games are no longer the highlight of the season for me. This year, it's Round 8 & 20 when we play the scums. Not only do I want to see us beat them, I want us to beat them by 100 to 0.

---
I keep hearing the line: "we'll only survive by taking matches away from Brookvale" yet I've seen no proof.
I maintain we'll only survive if we keep reaching finals series, and we do this by our imposing winning record at Brookie.
The return Manly V Melb match at Brookie IS the biggest game of the year - just ask any RL fan.
But now only those fanatical RL supporters in Perth will get to feel the atmosphere, which will be anything but electric.
My objection is taking this match-of-the-season away when there are another eight or so options.

The Who said:
I keep hearing the line: "we'll only survive by taking matches away from Brookvale" yet I've seen no proof.
I maintain we'll only survive if we keep reaching finals series,
Well, for proof that your own theory is rather shaky simply cast your mind back to the mid-90s, and the very small time it took for us to go from an on-field powerhouse consistently making the finals, to a rabble scratching and clawing desperately for bare survival.

Another example from memory was Newtown, I think about a year after a narrow grand final loss they got the boot altogether.

In each case it was about the money.

A club needs financial viability in order to survive, and an overachieving playing group can carry the load only for a limited time.

I'm not disputing that a club needs money, only the assertion that we need to play away from Brookie in order to make that money.
If this is the case why not play all our matches in remote locations that will pay the club handsomely to watch the premiers?
Balance this with the number of members you'll have who are prepared to renew their memberships to watch a team of nomads.

The Who said:
I'm not disputing that a club needs money, only the assertion that we need to play away from Brookie in order to make that money.
If this is the case why not play all our matches in remote locations that will pay the club handsomely to watch the premiers?
Balance this with the number of members you'll have who are prepared to renew their memberships to watch a team of nomads.

The MWRLFC ownes 10 home games and the members are the only ones who can change this. It is in the deed that runs the sea egls.
The sea egls can move or sell only two games out of 12.
That is why the melb v manly game will be sold. There are no rules on what two games can be moved. Its up to them.

lovefooty said:
The MWRLFC ownes 10 home games and the members are the only ones who can change this. It is in the deed that runs the sea egls.
That is why the melb v manly game will be sold. There are no rules on what two games can be moved. Its up to them.

Gee, and I mistakenly thought the club took into consideration the wishes of its fans. But if what you say is the case then I'll shut up and cower in the corner, until next season when the club comes out all warm and cuddly about listening to lifelong supporters so they can gain my membership money again.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
The Who said:
lovefooty said:

Gee, and I mistakenly thought the club took into consideration the wishes of its fans. But if what you say is the case then I'll shut up and cower in the corner, until next season when the club comes out all warm and cuddly about listening to lifelong supporters so they can gain my membership money again.

The only time the club didn't get my money is when they morphed into something else - :dodgy: Northern Eagles.

Yes, I'm a 30+ years fan (not as old, but still as passionate). :cool:
I even made sure my Mrs and our whole family are Manly fans.
There's no such thing as compromise when it comes to following an NRL team.

I don't give a hoot about a Melbourne game as long as the club is here to stay and survive for the long term.

I love the Sea Eagles more than one game of footy. :D

---

[
I don't give a hoot about a Melbourne game as long as the club is here to stay and survive for the long term.

I love the Sea Eagles more than one game of footy. :D

---

[/quote]

So the money that we get from this 'one game of footy' - $260,000 profit, I understand - will save the club?
Fantastic.
With such financial security it must mean the club will never have to take any other games away from Brookvale. What a relief!

The Who obviously has some mates and sponsors that are willing to guarantee the Sea Eagles 260K profit if they keep the rnd 15 game at Brookvale.

WAMF said:
The Who obviously has some mates and sponsors that are willing to guarantee the Sea Eagles 260K profit if they keep the rnd 15 game at Brookvale.

Gladly. Just waiting for my shares to improve and my superannuation to kick in. For that I'd expect the hill to be renamed The Who Hill, and all 12 matches played at Brookie.

I think the 'Have A Whinge' forum is the appropriate place for these continual boring rants. Let it go!!!

Manly To Win! said:
I think the 'Have A Whinge' forum is the appropriate place for these continual boring rants. Let it go!!!

I must disagree. I think the subject of taking the best game of the season from Brookvale is not boring, but rather important.
My 'rants' and 'whinges' on the subject will stop as the club has obviously made up its mind, and 20,000 of us will have to be content with watching the match on TV.

Manly To Win! said:

Nah, let them get it out of their system. It's actually pretty amusing.
I gave an explanation in another thread as to why the Rnd 15 game is likely to be played in Perth and how the deal was more than likely in progress since before any draw for 2012 was released.

First it was blame the club for looking to capitalise, then it was blame the WA govt for demanding the Storm game, then it was blame the Perth residents for not having a clue about league, then also blame Perth residents for allowing politicians to spend money in a wasteful way by hosting a game that will benefit the team they love.
Oh yeah, my favourite, blame Perth for being remote!

Keep em coming.

Your explanation may be spot on WAMF but from my perspective, I'd be just as annoyed if they were taking the Melbourne game to the SFS or Nth Sydney.

This moving of games should basically be an attempt to turn a profit from the dud games.

The atmosphere created at Brookie last year cannot be replicated anywhere else. It was truly a thing to behold and something for our supporters as a whole to build on. Changing it is a momentum killer. Cowboys on a Monday night is worth fobbing off, that has no atmosphere, play that wherever.

Duff said:
Your explanation may be spot on WAMF but from my perspective, I'd be just as annoyed if they were taking the Melbourne game to the SFS or Nth Sydney.

This moving of games should basically be an attempt to turn a profit from the dud games.

The atmosphere created at Brookie last year cannot be replicated anywhere else. It was truly a thing to behold and something for our supporters as a whole to build on. Changing it is a momentum killer. Cowboys on a Monday night is worth fobbing off, that has no atmosphere, play that wherever.

No one wants to buy the cowboys game. There is no big money for any other game.
If It stays at booky and it rains, the gate will be $80 gran not $220.
WA gate is guaranteed. It can snow and we will be paid .
It is to hard to say no to.
For me I will be happy to see the other 10 games knowing that its not like the tigers or dogs or dragons and others that play 6 or less at there home grounds.

Duff said:

Bottom line is that the WA Govt want a big crowd at the game and realise the Manly vs Melbourne match is going to provide them that. The WARL also want this exposure and after last years match, realise it is more than likely a prime time, FNF match as well.

The cash from the WA Govt is for a big match; not an 'unwanted' match-up such as vs North Qld or Canberra. If the club force them to utilise one of those 'lesser' matches, the WA Govt will simply say either 'No' or 'here's half the amount', neither of which is a great outcome for the club in maximising their income via two away home games per year.

Maybe if Brookie was consistantly hitting 20,000 per game and the club sat on a goldmine of 15,000 paying members per year, they could afford to be less flexible. But until the fan support converts into cold, hard cash, the club will look to other income streams to keep all of us happy to be playing in the NRL.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4