Game Day Thread (Dark Mode)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Ryan

Journey Man
Apologies for the length of this post:

I've been umming and arring over ways we could make this forum more enjoyable, welcoming and sustainable long term, catering to all different types, flavours and mixtures of people (for everyone). It's just an idea, so I hope I don't get mauled , because I AM just trying to lift engagement and satisfaction. I just want people to be happy.

I get that I'm more emotional, sensitive and bipolar than most folks, but it really, really upsets me when I read XYZ doesn't come here anymore because their interactions or experiences haven't been great. Feel like it's a kick in the guts, and gets me down for weeks.

Anyways, here's my idea.

When @Jethro kindly does his amazing work with the usual GDT's, he creates a 2nd, called GDT (dark mode). This second thread isn't closed off like the normal one after games, but is left open post game for discussion to occur. So for Jethro, it's a set and forget - nice and simple.

The premise of the Dark Mode thread, is twofold. One, it allows the normal GDT to be vanilla, positive, balanced, light, where people can be happy and supportive regardless of what's going on. They can also completely avoid the dark mode thread, and extra frustration some of us cause them.

The second is the Dark Mode thread can be an MA Rated, vent your spleen one second, absolutely have a love in the next type of thread where people can say what they want without fear of personal reprisal and vitriol. Basically ride the highs and lows like a lot of us do. I do find the emotion / passion of a loss dies down after 24-28 odd hours, but in leaving it open, it will allow those who choose to view it and participate to continue to say what they want (alleviating frustration or annoyance for those who only choose to want to hear / read the positives). It may be negative at times, but people are entitled to those feelings and emotions too.

I've been thinking hard about whether I should add this part or not, because I don't want silos or factions (so to speak) to come into existence. But maybe the Dark Mode thread is opened to invitees only. Basically a thread certain approved viewers can have access to. It's human nature to be inquisitive, and want to know what people are saying, but this would alleviate some from viewing, then attacking (OR being turned off / away from the forums). It also means new people can't register to the forum and come in and spam !!

The thread would still be moderated (by an independent miderator). But being locked and closed to the open public (or those not invited), moderation could be more relaxed (and fired up !!! Hahaha ).

I really think this could / would be a win for many people (depending on the personality type you are). The main forum could be very light, fluffy and positive , and there's also a tool for the more...intense of us hahaha ...to have a community to empathise, listen, laugh, cry, whatever with in the dark mode thread.

It may start slow, but we could build the community there. I think it'll be fun and exciting. I also think there would be a LOT less arguing and action in the main threads / forums , because it'll be way more sanitised, with similar people , with similar mindsets all chipping in.

Anyways, just an idea to hopefully make things more attractive for people. Thoughts ?

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I actually find the whole ,your a bummer man,its a bad vibe, settle petal approach a bit ironic in its WOKENESS but controlling the narrative is a personal thing

content is content and gives anyone the opportunity to engage, just dont target people, obey the rules.

Bad News sells, and manly are in in the hunt for some bad news headlines

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I actually find the whole ,your a bummer man,its a bad vibe, settle petal approach a bit ironic in its WOKENESS but controlling the narrative is a personal thing

content is content and gives anyone the opportunity to engage, just dont target people, obey the rules.

Bad News sells, and manly are in in the hunt for some bad news headlines
Haha sorry but a pet peeve of mine is people using the term woke in interesting ways.

Wokeness he quality of being alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination.

I argue anyone talking footy or disagreeing with someones views on footy is not being alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination.

I'm being nit picky I know but it's a real bug bear 😂😂

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Credit to you @Ryan for thinking outside the square, and for wanting the site to be great!
Initial thoughts...

1. Dividing the forum into 2 separate echo chambers has more negative than positive. It's only by being exposed to a variety of views that any sort of growth ever occurs, not to mention stimulating discussion. And really, are we that different? I reckon we all have dark thoughts at times during a game, I certainly do. (I just don't bother being in the GDT because I can't read or type while gnashing my teeth) :)
2 You could actually set that up by invitation already, just by starting a Conversation, and inviting only selected dark brotherhood characters (lol).

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Haha sorry but a pet peeve of mine is people using the term woke in interesting ways.

Wokeness he quality of being alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination.

I argue anyone talking footy or disagreeing with someones views on footy is not being alert to and concerned about social injustice and discrimination.

I'm being nit picky I know but it's a real bug bear 😂😂
I get we are clicking buddy , so its nice that you share your list of pet hates but Im married , and into chicks …….not that there is anything wrong with that

But hang in there, who knows where this dark mode might go

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Peoples differing views are whats great.

Having threads for like minded people to share like minded views defeats the purpose of a forum IMO.

I'm all for some robust discussion.

Love the robust discussion.

Not a fan of " you're being negative, conversation over".
It's the "true supporter " all over again.

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"
If it's really, really vitriolic - and if you put it in writing - and it is easily accessible - defamation springs to mind.

Someone with a legal background may wish to comment.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I get we are clicking buddy , so its nice that you share your list of pet hates but Im married , and into chicks …….not that there is anything wrong with that

But hang in there, who knows where this dark mode might go
Ha, you took that down a path...

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member

I've been umming and arring over ways we could make this forum more enjoyable, welcoming and sustainable long term, catering to all different types, flavours and mixtures of people (for everyone). It's just an idea, so I hope I don't get mauled , because I AM just trying to lift engagement and satisfaction. I just want people to be happy.

I get that I'm more emotional, sensitive and bipolar than most folks, but it really, really upsets me when I read XYZ doesn't come here anymore because their interactions or experiences haven't been great. Feel like it's a kick in the guts, and gets me down for weeks.

Anyways, here's my idea.

When @Jethro kindly does his amazing work with the usual GDT's, he creates a 2nd, called GDT (dark mode). This second thread isn't closed off like the normal one after games, but is left open post game for discussion to occur. So for Jethro, it's a set and forget - nice and simple.

The premise of the Dark Mode thread, is twofold. One, it allows the normal GDT to be vanilla, positive, balanced, light, where people can be happy and supportive regardless of what's going on. They can also completely avoid the dark mode thread, and extra frustration some of us cause them.

The second is the Dark Mode thread can be an MA Rated, vent your spleen one second, absolutely have a love in the next type of thread where people can say what they want without fear of personal reprisal and vitriol. Basically ride the highs and lows like a lot of us do. I do find the emotion / passion of a loss dies down after 24-28 odd hours, but in leaving it open, it will allow those who choose to view it and participate to continue to say what they want (alleviating frustration or annoyance for those who only choose to want to hear / read the positives). It may be negative at times, but people are entitled to those feelings and emotions too.

I've been thinking hard about whether I should add this part or not, because I don't want silos or factions (so to speak) to come into existence. But maybe the Dark Mode thread is opened to invitees only. Basically a thread certain approved viewers can have access to. It's human nature to be inquisitive, and want to know what people are saying, but this would alleviate some from viewing, then attacking (OR being turned off / away from the forums). It also means new people can't register to the forum and come in and spam !!

The thread would still be moderated (by an independent miderator). But being locked and closed to the open public (or those not invited), moderation could be more relaxed (and fired up !!! Hahaha ).

I really think this could / would be a win for many people (depending on the personality type you are). The main forum could be very light, fluffy and positive , and there's also a tool for the more...intense of us hahaha ...to have a community to empathise, listen, laugh, cry, whatever with in the dark mode thread.

It may start slow, but we could build the community there. I think it'll be fun and exciting. I also think there would be a LOT less arguing and action in the main threads / forums , because it'll be way more sanitised, with similar people , with similar mindsets all chipping in.

Anyways, just an idea to hopefully make things more attractive for people. Thoughts ?
1 part of me has this deserved of a "Winner," as I get the overview and Ryan is up with Bozo as the most passionate supporters on here and I reckon a nice bloke too, which is what many confuse when he expresses his opinion (many very valid imo), as this creates some emotional responses.
There are a few who bait and gaslight a bit, that have led to a few of these responses recently and just maybe ignited Ryan to go down this path, to help minimise the confrontationl type arguments.
As I say, completely get this thread and see many Positives, but personally I don't mind the battles and happy to take on fellow Silvertails opinions and vice versa and still feel I would be fine to have a beer and a laugh with them afterwards - well most.....
Thing is, I like the full mix of supporters here, many have played at different levels, coached a bit, some just bean bag experts and some have a bit of knowledge around the club through different sources and all makes for an unpredictable and sometimes intriguing viewing and even can be insightful hearing opinions or left hand ideas also.
The thing is, everyone deserves to be heard and respected, not agreed with, in fact difference of opinion is a healthy thing and makes life interesting
Also while on different opinions, the Manly trainers and coaches do have the say on what happens within the team we support, but obviously don't always get it right....which is important to remember when taking in Silvertail posters who may feel differently with team selections, tactics and so on....let's not confuse this as supporters being anti Manly - Seibold haters - not real supporters ect.
Just to finish up, I feel this thread from Ryan is possibly the most thoughtful and in it's own way , most genius thread idea ever.....but I do like the different view, as long as it remains on point and not personal.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
FFS! Let people express however they want. Whether it’s negativity about how the team is travelling, or negativity about negative expressions… At the end of the day, what you choose to share and how you choose to express it, tells others more about YOU, than the target

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
I had last year off the site. The dik of many names got quite abusive and threatened me in PM's I published on here.

Since I've been back I was going to comment how civil the place was, less I told you so do as I say types posting.
In the last week or so it has gone backwards a bit but I'm sure we can bounce back to being nice.
Don't like a comment? Ignore it. Don't like a reply? Explain your point and agree to disagree.

The Royal Soup

First Grader

Anyways, here's my idea.

Similar to a discord i’m in for my NFL team Seattle Seahawks

we have 2 gameday threads

Game Day Postive

Game Day Negative

Ryan

Journey Man
Peoples differing views are whats great.

Having threads for like minded people to share like minded views defeats the purpose of a forum IMO.

I'm all for some robust discussion.

I'm PM'ing someone atm about the tone of the place, and I suggested it's like Disney has acquired Silvertails, and they've re-released it as an episode of The Acolyte, where no matter how bad it gets, the narrative should always be positive and supportive, and if it's not, you're just wrong (labelled this, that and the other).

For mine, it's a generational thing, tbh.

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
More than happy to have both a dark and light GDT. I'd probably tune into and comment on both...depending on how I feel about the game. During and after the game too. But I also think everyone (not just on ST) needs to be able to accept other peoples opinions without letting it ruin their day. After all, as the old saying goes; opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

Chunkytuna

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
I'm PM'ing someone atm about the tone of the place, and I suggested it's like Disney has acquired Silvertails, and they've re-released it as an episode of The Acolyte, where no matter how bad it gets, the narrative should always be positive and supportive, and if it's not, you're just wrong (labelled this, that and the other).

For mine, it's a generational thing, tbh.
Yeah that show is a major degradation of the whole Star Wars brand if you ask me. But yeah, it's Disney now so entirely unsurprising.

Ryan

Journey Man
More than happy to have both a dark and light GDT. I'd probably tune into and comment on both...depending on how I feel about the game. During and after the game too. But I also think everyone (not just on ST) needs to be able to accept other peoples opinions without letting it ruin their day. After all, as the old saying goes; opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.
Apart from people with colostomies ! Let's not forget about them ! Maybe I'm that person to people here. Maybe I'm that rare guy with a colostomy. I'm releasing a song abusing everyone haha!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
14 10 4 118 24
15 10 5 77 24
15 9 6 161 20
15 8 7 64 20
14 8 6 60 20
15 7 7 28 19
15 7 8 21 18
15 8 7 -8 18
15 7 8 -47 18