GAME DAY - Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
UUURRRRGGHHHH, i cant believe it. What a **** start. Still it is onl the first game but jebus that was awful. All that talk from the commentators about the scum dog forwards not handling the 8 interchanges, well it looked like we were not handling it tbh.

TBH we were luckky it wasnt 50. They had Jackson held up, Rona disallowed try there hooker dropping it over the line. Yes we dropped the ball but they looked miles better. ffs I hate losing on friday.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
100% agree the team needs some weeks to gel, whether we like it or not. You don;t have that many new players and hit your straps as a team early.

give Walker a bit more time, even though i think they will persevere as they won't move Lyon or matai on.

i thought Leary showed a bit, but maybe best for now to stay as impact from the bench for now.

Kapow, or any player, was never going to arrive a be an immediate champion, but he was a little disappointing, as was Nate.

jake was great, Tom tried hard and looked most likely, but not a great game

Parcell is the man moving forward, with Api off the bench while he feels his way into 26 rounds of 1st grade footy

Green seemed a bit timid at times, still let's see how he develops after 6 weeks in either grade.

Williame - maybe just not destined, huh?

Lyon suffers when the forwards aren't doing their role of late, hate to say it. Matai and Jorge at least get their jersey dirty.

Cherry needs time to develop now he has all the ball and learn direction & patience, ala cronk.

vave, not sure, punched through a few times..

Brown started well, in everything in defence, but effectiveness was gone after 20 minutes...1st game with no trials

Lussick...not sure about him yet

That NRL.com ranking system has shown itself to be crap again.

Sure they got it right with Jake being our best player......but they had Tommy as our worst. As Fatty said, are they drunk over there or something? The brothers T were clearly our best tonight.

Ok, some stats from NRL.com

Run metres:
Manly - 1,257 (Jake Trbojevic - 154)
Dogs - 1,574 (James Graham - 230)

Tackles:
Manly - 390 (Lewis Brown, Martin Taupau - 41)
Dogs - 329 (Michael Lichaa - 44)

Line Breaks:
Manly - 1 (Jorge Taufua)
Dogs - 3 (Perrett, Rona, Kasiano)

Missed Tackles:
Manly - 19 (Nathan Green - 5)
Dogs - 11 (Reynolds, Mbye, Lichaa - 2)

Possession:
Manly - 49&
Dogs - 51%

Completion Rate:
Manly - 28/42 - 67%
Dogs - 35/41 - 85%

Kick Metres:
Manly - 347
Dogs - 604

Penalties / Errors:
Manly - 9 / 13
Dogs - 11 / 6

bulldogs didn't need to do much but showed their experience.

Going to be a long season. The hype, funny training vids, the 'let's go' / 'up 'n at 'em' video etc don't mean much if you cannot do the basics.. which is all the Dogs had to do. Only Jake T running with any purpose. Nate too flat... you need a run up if you're going to take on Tolman, Graham etc basic stuff really. we were so flat.

Tom T showed he has what is required but they need to work on the combinations to use him properly rather than having him there just picking up the pieces.

won't say anymore as it is a new team but we have much to do.

Combinations are not my beef with tonight. I'm well aware they will take time. However, that is just polish and tonight was about the basic errors. The basic errors have absolutely nothing to do with new players and new combos.

When you drop the ball 3 or 4 times in your own 30 and give away silly penalties in front of your own posts.....all of which we did in the first half, any good side will take advantage of it. We were shell-shocked to be 0-22 down at half time.

To our credit we did play better in the second half which we won 6-4, though the Dogs last try was an absolute shocker from our defence. I expect players to have that much room to score in a game of Seven's or Nine's....but not in 13 on 13.

I think we proved that we are fitter than them even though the Dogs have shocked many by players (like the cheap watch) slimming down,. But by the time we had enough possession to do anything about it in the second half, it was too late really.

Combinations are not my beef with tonight. I'm well aware they will take time. However, that is just polish and tonight was about the basic errors. The basic errors have absolutely nothing to do with new players and new combos.
But basic errors can be easily eradicated which is a positive.

Can Lewis brown be eradicated just as easy. I hope so. The blokes an a grade plonka. He makes Jye mullane look like a first grader :p
We still have Mateo, T-Red, Starling and BJ plus Buhrer when he's healthy so you'd think/hope players in bad form can't stay up

I had to refrain from posting earlier..............!

Was VERY disappointed with how we performed on Friday night. I thought we had very little structure ad both our attack and defence was rubbish. To be near the fleabags line that many times and not convert to points is terrible. DCE looked like he was running around with no direction, our forward pack quite frankly was ****. I thought Walker had a shocker and just wonder if he is up to it. We had far too many errors and overall I was shocked at how terrible we played.

Now to be honest I expected a LOT better, no excuse for a first game, we did not have any answers and after the first 10 minutes we looked like a rubble.

To me a lot of this comes down to basics and structure re something coaching should work on and attitude. A few players simply looked disinterested and our coach showed not much emotion either, has he spent too much time on his hair rather than basic coaching....??

All of this worries me and if we don't pick up our bundle soon, we may be looking to try and avoid a bottom four finish. It was that bad and I hope I am not overacting. But after that performance we have a LOT of work to do and so does our coaching staff. I am very passionate and I love my team and expect far better.

I don't agree. When people are unfamiliar with each other, even the basics go wrong. I have played a lot of sport and have experienced it myself. You are focused on new plays and combinations, people get out of position, you stuff basic plays because you aren't sure what your team mates are doing defensively or in attack - so you start panicking a bit, second guessing, getting nervous, and everything just starts to break down.

You lose focus and lose sight of the basic things - you drop balls you normally wouldn't, which snowballs into a lot of defence, which tires you out, which means you don't have the punch in attack - and so on. That is where a good coach get's in peoples ears and says - boys, strip it back and focus on the simple stuff - we started to do that a little better in the second half, but by then it was too late.

It would appear he will use 2 of them on Hooker, which should be an 80 minute position. That or he will sit one of them on the bench for most of the game.

I'm deeply concerned about the bench/prop rotation, 3 props for a full game is just not going to cut it against the biggest pack in the comp. Jake is going to have to play at least 60 if not 80 minutes. We need 160 minutes of props in the side and we have 3 props, that equates to over 53 minutes for each prop. That's crazy against the biggest pack in the comp.

Yeah Yeah I know Kapow can play prop, but that means a pretty significant position shuffle part way through the game.

Barrett has his first fail on selections for mine.
As soon as last weeks team was announced I knew we were in trouble per the above post. The mistakes from Barrett just kept coming with the late inclusion of Williame & Vave. I can forgive him for a first out stuff up but I'm not sure I'll be so forgiving if he persevere's on a pick & stick basis.

The game was a perfect storm of mistakes, poor selections and a red hot dogs team. I expect a much better performance next weekend. Trent I beg of you, do most if not all of the following.
1. Select only 1 hooker, we can't waste a bench spot on a 2nd hooker.
2. Never again Select Williame or Vave.
3. Only select 1 light weight backrower as a utility, not three.

My team for next weekend would be as follows:

1. Snake
2. Jorge
3. Killer
4. Skivvy
5. Tom Turbo
6. Walker
7. DCE
8. Jake Turbo
9. Parcell
10. Myles
11. Lussick
12. Lawrence
13. Brown
14. Tapau
15. Starling
16. Knight
17. Mateo

I know Barrett won't do this, but I am certain this team would do a job on the Tigers

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8