Gallop under fire over SBW

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL chief executive David Gallop has been forced to defend his actions during Super League, when he was a lawyer for News Ltd charged with getting Australian Rugby League players out of their contracts.

Gallop came under intense criticism from Herald columnist Phil Gould and former Bulldog Graeme Hughes on separate heated radio interviews yesterday.

Both accused Gallop of hypocrisy when he claimed Sonny Bill Williams had threatened the "sanctity" of NRL contracts.

"Why has the sanctity of the contract raised its head when we have treated contracts like confetti for 15 years, " Gould asked Gallop during an explosive interview on Triple M last night. "Why are we suddenly going to make Sonny Bill Williams an example?"

Gallop was a key figure in the Super League war in the 1990s when he acted as the rebel organisation's legal affairs manager. Armed with plenty of cash, Super League attempted to crush the ARL and create its own competition by signing the game's biggest names.

Many of its recruitment meetings were covert operations as they attempted to lure players across, but Gallop said the situation was nothing like Williams's "deceitful" act in fleeing the Bulldogs and the country.

"In those circumstances players were released by their clubs and entered into Super League contracts," Gallop said.

"In this case the Bulldogs have not agreed to Sonny Bill Williams being released from his playing contract … It was open to Sonny Bill Williams to seek a release; he didn't do that.

"He instead chose to secretively leave the country in defiance of that contract. I can't remember any situation - Super League or otherwise - where that kind of thing has been done."

Hughes accused Gallop on 2SM of not being honest in describing his actions during Super League. Gould also attacked Gallop for not giving the game any direction.

"Every player in the league is looking at the direction and administration of the game and saying there is no plan," Gould said.

"Everyone is being told that the game does not rate and we are playing in these big stadiums in front of very small crowds. No one is telling us whether it is right or wrong."

Source AAP

I didnt know that about Gallop and Super League, always thought he was lacking completly in direction and has completly underperformed as a CEO for years, hopefully he gets cleaned out as a byproduct of all of this.

I had no idea he was SL either. It just goes to show why he is so weak as a CEO and just toes the Media company lines.

That says it all.

Time to give the useless bugger the flick and bring in a 3rd party CEO who puts the games growth and game ahead of media companies.

A lot has just been explained to me in that article

Gould loves SBW, so of course he will go into bat for him. If it was some low profile player then Gus would be banging on about loyalty and upholding the sanctity of contracts. Changes his tune to suit his pet players.

As for Gallop, you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to work out that his hands are tied, because the NRL aren't an independant body. He just does what the suits at News Limited tell him to.

If there is another S/L type war/change I hope we jump the right way this time.  Unlike last time when we stuck solid with the ARL and went broke as a result

Gallop may be remembered for turning the NRL into a soccer A league competition with all the best league players playing overseas.

Pritchard seems to be the next to want to play in France. 

I've been saying it for ages about that dope Gallop.  No smarts, no style, no vision, just a useless suit.  I too was surprised, but not astonished at the SL tieup.  It's useless having the same people running the game and representing the owners.  Why don't the club bosses try to do something about this, or is it they want to remain as small time boutique club powerbrokers.

The thing is NRL is one of the best sporting products out there, yet they are butchering it

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6