Gallop and Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Another reason why he is a fool.

He chose to gamble that there would be more than 23,000 and he lost. Just for the record, another failure to add to his CV.

If he was smart, he would grant the gate takings of semi final games to teams that are higher on the ladder, leading to a grand final at ANZ. Let each club gamble whether they want to move their home ground to a larger venue. Why does he have a right to take that gamble at all?

Whether or not the NRL grants to each club increase or not, the NRL or the commission should allow teams to host games wherever they want until the grand final.

Then it's up to our club to secure a backer to transform Brookie into a 30,000 showpiece stadium.

He's in a no win position. No matter what he does he'll get slaughtered on here..........and that's the way it should be !!!!!! The guy is a muppet.

I was dissapointed to hear the guys on the Sunday Footy Show say that it finals should all be played at stadiums. That idiot Voss was adamant that it is a joke if we play finals at Suburban grounds. Well i guess that he would say that because he probably lives in the middle of sydney and gets home quicker from SFS or ANZ and he gets to sit in Air Conditioned comfort in those grounds whilst enjoiying a Prawn Sandwich in the Ch9 Corporate Box. No wonder he reckons Brookie is not good enough. Was dissapointed that Joey didnt get stuck into them about it. Could you imagine if the NRL took away a home game from Newcastle because the old Energy Australia stadium wasnt up to scratch. Newcastle would have marched the streets, but that would never happen NRL wouldnt do that to them for fear of a backlash. They dont care about us because they dont see Northern Beaches Kids as future league players also they know that most of Manlys supporter base is spread all over the country so we cant rally the troops like evryone else. They have us by the balls and unfortunately ther is stuff all we can do about it. I doubt even if they upgrade brookie to the Boutique dog walking track we would be having any more finals games there. Voss also said its not only about Manly and Cowboys fans going to games other clubs fans should also. IS HE OFF HIS HEAD????? how rich does he think supporters are????.

At the very least the NRL could make the game that is pulled away from a clubs suburban ground a Saturday or Sunday afternoon game with free buses for ticket holders from those grounds. They could have been so positive in the way they dealt with it but instead they were happy just to shaft us. As per usual

Another opinion though would be that our younger/less experienced players gained enormously from playing at the SFS, then going on to a big win. After all, they had a great win in a finals atmosphere at Brookvale two weeks ago.

With that win last night under their belts, they should be much more relaxed when we go there again in two weeks time.

I think the 8.30 start was the killer blow for a lot of fans. Afternoon or early evening it might have been almost doubled.

Definitely the late start, NRL knew there would be a problem, hence the free entry for kids. The Brisbane game should have kicked off at 5:30.
You will never hear the NRL say they stuffed up, just the fact Manly have poor supporters that don't like to travel.

Lennox Local said:
Definitely the late start, NRL knew there would be a problem, hence the free entry for kids. The Brisbane game should have kicked off at 5:30.
You will never hear the NRL say they stuffed up, just the fact Manly have poor supporters that don't like to travel.

or, why did the Broncos get the early start time when we finished above them? In my opinion, had we had the 6:30pm kick off then our crowd numbers would have been a lot higher. There would have been a greater chance of having more families with kids there with the earlier start too.

My biggest gripe is once again the inconsistencies.
The nrl has made it quite clear that the person watching at home is more important than the people that attend matches. Tv dollars etc.
Yet they take the finals games away from suburban grounds so more fans can attend the games but play the game at a time that suits tv viewers and not people attending the game.
?

ManlyBacker said:
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." - Cicero

And so, perceiving these faults of others, Cicero forgot his own.

Dessies quote
"So 13,000 it's probably 10,000, there's probably a bit of fudging there I don't know, but clearly there's a lesson there ... we all make mistakes.''

delivered like a season professional.

My first point is that Brookvale Oval gets a bad rap. It is IMO the best ground to watch RL at, particularly from the Hill.
Secondly, there was significant cost and inconvenience in getting to the SFS, but we did it anyone. Got there early to collect our pre-paid tickets and then went to the pub - only to be turned away because there was no beer! Apparently there was trouble with the beer lines. Then trekked to Paddington Inn which had one TV and it was on the rugby, and they refused to change it. Must be a lot a English backpackers there. So walked to the Paddington RSL which was showing the RL. But it must be the most expensive RSL in Australia. Got to the SFS. Good seats (Thanks Vidmar) but little atmosphere, and some wally emploring us to sing Sweet Caroline. The NRL call that entertainment!

<<and some wally emploring us to sing Sweet Caroline>>
and that Wally was in a NQ jersey.
I sensed things were dower when I walked down from Oxford Street (free parking) passed the pub opposite the ground and the pub was closed. Normally by 7.30pm there would be people teeming everywhere around that pub and going through Paddington side entrance... but there was only a trickle of people.
Yet, I too, sat with the Vidmar ticketed supporters and they made the difference for the night. Being with everyone the ground may as well have been full as there was a lot of cheering coming from the Manly section. However, my jury is still out on one character still yelling out 'Slater is a pedophile' and letting Thurston know he was a 'monkey'. I'll excuse him as I know it was really the beer doing the shouting ;^)

Well I have changed my opinion on this matter. Back in the NSWRL days all finals were played at SCG or SFS and it was great to go to the big stadiums for the finals.We have to move on people. The NRL are doing the right thing and I cant believe that loyal Manly supporters didnt show up last night because it was some sort of protest. I would kill to have gone last night but I had to work and I live Gold Coast.We have to move into the 21st century and the time to move away from brookie is now. We wont survive losing millions per year and Manly supporters will travel to see a winning team. The SFS or Homebush must be used for our Sydney derbies as well as moving home games to Suncorp or Skilled stadium. Maybe 2 or 3 home games at brookie is all we can afford now or else it may spell doom for our future.

mickqld said:
Well I have changed my opinion on this matter. Back in the NSWRL days all finals were played at SCG or SFS and it was great to go to the big stadiums for the finals.We have to move on people. The NRL are doing the right thing and I cant believe that loyal Manly supporters didnt show up last night because it was some sort of protest. I would kill to have gone last night but I had to work and I live Gold Coast.We have to move into the 21st century and the time to move away from brookie is now. We wont survive losing millions per year and Manly supporters will travel to see a winning team. The SFS or Homebush must be used for our Sydney derbies as well as moving home games to Suncorp or Skilled stadium. Maybe 2 or 3 home games at brookie is all we can afford now or else it may spell doom for our future.

Amen :angel:

Here's Gallop's explanation if you can make any sense out of it at all:

"The decision re the home finals was agreed by all clubs because you couldn't have a situation where higher drawing Sydney teams were penalised and the lower drawing teams retained the home venue," Gallop said.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/manly-romp-home-to-send-cowboys-packing-20110910-1k3kd.html

Can you believe that logic? According to Gallop:

1. It's not based on what's best for the supporters
2. It's not based on what's best for the clubs
3. It's not based on what's best for the game
4. It's not based on what's the best look on TV (empty v full))

It's solely based on equity, what's fair!!

According to Gallop:
1. It's fair to have regional teams have the advantage of playing at home
2. It's fair to SFS/Telstra stadium teams have the advantage of playing at home
3. It's fair to have all the other teams lose their home ground advantage
4. It's fair to support the teams who want to get bigger crowds by playing at SFS or Telstra
5. It's not fair to support the teams who want to get bigger crowds by playing at home.

Gallop seems increasingly incapable of using sound judgement, or reasonable adaptability and flexibility to support the teams, fans or game.

Our game should have been played at the SFS BUT it should have started at 4pm, it SHOULD have had free transport layed on for supporters and finally it should have had $10 admission for all supporters sit where you want.How can the NRL say this was the right decision when they stuffed up the organisation of this game so badly.

You are right Mick the 8.30 kickoff is what killed the crowd. That being said if tigers come 7th we would have been outnumbered regardless.

mickqld said:

So last night wasn't proof enough for you that Manly supporters wont travel, even when the team is going great and it's a finals game?

I found it fairly convincing.

You say we have to move into the 21st century. That seems to be code for screwing us over. Manly are one of the few clubs that "keep it real". Bulldogs & Tigers have got no soul. They're just cynical marketing exercises aimed at the brainless masses who are only interested in a brightly packaged, slick looking yet inherantly shallow product.

We have an attitude and an identity that are set in stone. If you change that, we are no longer Manly. As I said at the Northern Eagles time, I'd rather our club died with dignity that survives by selling out. I still believe that.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7