Fulton backs Lyon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Jason Avedissian

MANLY great Bob Fulton has declared Jamie Lyon's future at the Sea Eagles and possibly NSW lies at five-eighth following the Sea Eagles dismantling of the Roosters at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night.

Lyon was a late replacement at pivot following the withdrawal of Travis Burns who succumbed to a back injury in the lead-up to the round 17 NRL match.

The result was a 56-0 smashing of a woeful Roosters squad with Lyon and fellow half Matt Orford central to the destruction.

Fulton said the combination, along with Brett Stewart at fullback and Michael Monaghan at hooker, had the potential to claim Manly their first premiership since 1996.

``What we've got there is a premiership-winning combination, particularly the half-back pairing,'' Fulton said last night.

``I can see nothing but pluses for that combination.

``Jamie is going to get better and better with every game he plays at five-eighth.

``I think that's his future at the club.

``That doesn't mean for reps, but he could play there in time.

``He was mentioned in Origin selections as a potential five-eighth.''

Orford said the win was a must following back-to-back losses against the Dragons and Bulldogs.

``Everyone stood up and was counted,'' the skipper, who contributed 28 points to the rout, said.

``I think the most pleasing part was keeping the other side to zero.

``But we have a short turn around and not much time for recovery so we won't get too carried away because there is still plenty to work on.''

Manly coach Des Hasler said the performance, which included a hat-trick of tries to winger Michael Robertson in his 100th NRL match, was the team's most consistent effort of the year.

But the coach warned there were areas to improve ahead of Friday night's clash with the Tigers at Brookvale Oval.

So he waits for the only decent game the blokes played in this possition, to make this comment.

I'll think i'll wait for a few more good games before I start crowing about the Lyon.

I'm was undecided about Lyon at 5/8. But if Fulton thinks he will make a go of it that's a pretty good indication of how he is going.

MANLY great Bob Fulton has declared Jamie Lyon's future at the Sea Eagles and possibly NSW lies at five-eighth following the Sea Eagles dismantling of the Roosters at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night.

Nobody should ever underestimate the amount of influence that Fulton still has with those in power at Manly. Whilst ever Bozo is drawing breath Lyon will be 5/8.

lyon is still junk till proven otherwise

"I can see nothing but pluses for that combination " "Jamie is going to get better and better with every game he plays at five-eighth"

In comparison, going with Fultons assessment is a no brainer.

You'd be surprised Matas..

And totally agree Jatz, I'd go with Fulton as well, given the 2 options. But doesnt mean I have to agree with him..

In what sense Matas?

So saying Bob Fulton is a great 5/8 means he knows everything about football, is about as relevant as saying JohnHoward knows it all about politics because he has been PM for a while..

I highly doubt Fro has played one game of League or Union with a 6 or 10 on his back.

How many games did you play as a rugby league hooker? You keep giving opinions on the way Monaghan plays at hooker.

How many games did you play as a rugby league hooker? You keep giving opinions on the way Monaghan plays at hooker.

About 25. 70 if you include the times I was lock or five eighth but played dummy half for most of the matches.

Whilst I am a fan of Lyon at 6 Bozo was the person who put Tooves at 6 with Cliffy on the bench / hooker……..

Bozo also strongly supported the JV......before it happened.

Bozo is also a NSW selector, who placed Mullin at Half........enough said ;)

Bozo was the coach who could have won us seven comps..... but didn't. Didn't he play centre? Juries still out on Lyon at 5/8.

Fulton was picked as a centre for Australia before he had even played the position. He was 5/8 for Manly in the late 60s and early 70s until Ian Martin took on the mantle and he moved to centre. He is an immortal - lot to do with playing 5/8 for Australia. He has forgotten more about playing 5/8 than we together ever knew!!!!

An 'immortal'? sounds like something that holds up the rafters. "Better put in the immortal Bruce, just behind the joist"

After receiving the "over rated" tag, my confidence in Lyon succeeding in the 6 has risen markedly. Class players usually answer critics where it counts. On the field.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2