Facebook

Email

Latest NRL:
Mortimer gunning for Titans' NRL rise
Gorman ready to wait for a Sharks sponsor
Cowboys go north to get heads right
Super League Salford sign Corey Paterson
French team to trial the 'reverse Hayne'
Chief executive Joe Kelly says Manly will offer halves pairing Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans the biggest contracts in the NRL club's history as the battle to keep the Test stars hots up

Cherry-Evans and Foran are the biggest names who'll be off-contract at the end 2015 and clubs including Canterbury, Parramatta, Canberra and Brisbane are ready to test the water with the pair's respective management teams.

Kelly started work on Monday after finishing his role as chief financial officer for South Sydney, who he joined from English Premier League giants Chelsea in 2007.

He has already hit the ground running by drawing up agreements he hopes will keep Cherry-Evans and Foran with the Sea Eagles for the rest of their careers.

Kelly spent five years at Chelsea and was integral in keeping the Blues from brink of insolvency by persuading Roman Ambramovich to pump his billions into the club and make it one of the biggest in the world.

Although the figures being offered to Cherry-Evans and Foran are chicken feed in comparison to what was required to prop up Chelsea, Kelly said the challenge of keeping them is just as great.

"We want to retain them; it's our absolute No.1 priority," Kelly told AAP.

"They are both back to training by the start of the new year and I hope to have it sorted by then so that as a club we are sorted and settled for the 2015 season.

"I've already done a lot of work on this dollars-wise and we'll be putting to them the best offers we've ever made to any player before."

The departures of big earners such as Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart has freed up the cash that will fund deals for Foran and Cherry-Evans, and teammate Jamie Buhrer is hopeful they'll stay.

"I know they love the area and playing alongside each other. But at the same time, I respect whatever decision they make and they'll be no pressure from me," Buhrer said.

"But to have them two both re-sign would be monumental for the club. It's hard to find a young halves pairing that are as good as they are. They have won comps, played Tests.

"It's a no-brainer that we have to do all we can to keep them."

Facebook

Email

©

It's new to me that these will be the biggest offers the club has ever made - good info.

Kevinward777 said:
"They are both back to training by the start of the new year and I hope to have it sorted by then....."

At least we have a timeline now.

I like that Joe is being proactive player contract wise.... too many times in the past the pen has gone missing. Perhaps that won't be a problem now that the Penns are steering the good ship Sea Eagles :)

Mals said:
I like that Joe is being proactive player contract wise.... too many times in the past the pen has gone missing. Perhaps that won't be a problem now that the Penns are steering the good ship Sea Eagles :)

Me too - I hated it when other hack teams like the raiders and sharks and parra and warriors (all of them frankly) would talk about wanting to sign our players publicly. At least our new bloke is on the front foot making positive statements that the players are wanted.

Agree that old news but the statement from our new boss is refreshing

I reckon it also shows how Jamie B will take a major role this year and for years to come

The guy is all class both on and off the field and his influence will go a long way to keeping both the boys

The Wheel said:
New beaver is a lot better than old beaver

Are you saying if you should trade old beaver for a new beaver?
I don't think old beaver would like that very much.

mickqld said:
Does Joe not know that we never have any pens in the Sea Eagles offices.

Hopefully he's on enough coin... That way he can shoot down to Office Works and splurge on a box of Bics ;)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2