Forwards Problem in 2015...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think this is the breakout year for JSL. He was a real find for us this year, and I think he will be the Choc replacement (as others have mentioned). We just need him to give away 2 penalties per game, throw hospital passes and not play the ball correctly and he's well on his way. Know what I mean?

Just joking!!

I think the future looks rosey, lots of options and lots of players with plenty to prove. Mateo and Mason to prove they've still got it. Jake T to prove he can cut it and the wraps are justified. And JSL, Lui, Starling, Lawrence etc to prove they can lead this pack.

winnyason said:
If he can keep his ... together off field, i believe jamil hopoate is a future forward leader, big, strong good footwork at the line.

Of all of our backrowers I would say he probably has the power game to replace choc. He can hit a hole and bend the line.

Jamil is 2016.

We are not better off in the forwards - we are slightly worse off in 2015.

A couple of bigger guys, but they're replacing 3 of the best Manly forwards ever.

Big King Dog out for Vave, who's handy - that's all.

Choc out for 35 year old Mason? He'll contribute, but it's not 2004.

Gift only played 8 games last year, but Feleti Mateo?? He is not SBW. He ain't a Sam Burgess. I wouldn't have signed him - but I reckon he'll get about a pass mark.

Like every Premier, like Manly in 08 and 11, you need team harmony and some good luck with (no) injuries in September.

Ballin, Buhrer, King Dog & Gifty missing from round 26, cost us the 2014 premiership . . . and that was with the ugly, factional infighting.

If Ballin, Buhrer, Mason and Mateo come off with ruptured hamstrings in round 26, we will not win the comp next year.

I am hoping we do though and I hope we can keep a happy Sid & Foz for a long time.

Push it up Manly.
cheers

Bandit said:
Jamil is 2016.

A couple of bigger guys, but they're replacing 3 of the best Manly forwards ever.

Gift only played 8 games last year, but Feleti Mateo?? He is not SBW. He ain't a Sam Burgess. I wouldn't have signed him - but I reckon he'll get about a pass mark.

Like every Premier, like Manly in 08 and 11, you need team harmony and some good luck with (no) injuries in September.

Ballin, Buhrer, King Dog & Gifty missing from round 26, cost us the 2014 premiership . . . and that was with the ugly, factoonal infighting.

If Ballin, Buhrer, Mason and Mateo come off with ruptured hamstrings in round 26, we will not win the comp next year.

I am hoping we do though and I hope we can keep a happy Sid & Foz for a long time.

Push it up Manly.
cheers

I'm not too sure.. I think our signings have been quite savvy... okay they're not Manly legends like the three they are 'replacing' but with our limitations to what we can offer on the salary cap they're pound for pound good signings if they perform (an obvious risk with 99% of signings for one reason or another)...

I also think that Manly has a culture about the club which has allowed for us to remain competitive year in year out in which we bring in players that may not be the biggest names but they buy in to the team ethic and attitude, know their roles and get on with it, especially in the forwards, allowing our backline to do their thing... in this Manly circle I'm confident the new signings will be a success

I'm not saying we're stronger but we've lost experience both on and off the field.
Willie has a very healthy ego and wouldn't go around again just for the hell of it, he's always going to be a regular on TV post footy and he's joined a very successful high profile club on his last contract.
I'll be honest, he's always been a player that has caught my interest because he plays with attitude and enjoys himself -he can talk the talk and walk the walk - Bennett got him to the Knights to fill a void and I suspect we're doing the same. I know the Knights didn't have the greatest of years but Willie coming off the bench was 3rd in hit ups and 2nd in metres gained for their forwards.
Mateo's stats aren't too bad either and he's always had the reputation of being an underachiever, he's also looking at his last deal if he doesn't do the business. To me he's always been in teams where he's felt like he's needed to be the man and tried to do too much so hopefully with DCE and Foz he can just do what is required and that will be better than most.
They've both been around the block but they would both still command a top 17 spot in any squad in the NRL most likely.

Bandit said:
Jamil is 2016.

Ballin, Buhrer, King Dog & Gifty missing from round 26, cost us the 2014 premiership . . . and that was with the ugly, factional infighting.

Push it up Manly.
cheers

Completely disagree. Gift was a complete non-factor in 2014. Choc was playing with a busted bicep and attitude. King was barely there also. Mateo and Mason for near a full season, and the space it opens for others coming through to step up is a much better place to be in.

Yeah, if we wanna imagine we are back in 2008 then yes the losses would be hard.

Fact is, that if the Raiders had signed Mateo, Mason and Vave they would have been shouting with joy from the rooftops in Canberra. Its just unfortunate that Mateo has come in behind Choc and Gift. He will go well, but bugger me he has some bloddy big shoes to fill.

conanu said:
Fact is, that if the Raiders had signed Mateo, Mason and Vave they would have been shouting with joy from the rooftops in Canberra. Its just unfortunate that Mateo has come in behind Choc and Gift. He will go well, but bugger me he has some bloddy big shoes to fill.

We've already been coping and performing without them throughout 2014. No Gift, and Choc distracted with his own victim narratives... Too many are comparing to a past career for those two guys, but it doesn't reflect the reality of where they are now. Amazing careers, but in 2014 fell well short of those lofty standards.

HK_Eagle said:
conanu said:

We've already been coping and performing without them throughout 2014. No Gift, and Choc distracted with his own victim narratives... Too many are comparing to a past career for those two guys, but it doesn't reflect the reality of where they are now. Amazing careers, but in 2014 fell well short of those lofty standards.

Totally agree mate, with the big shoes comment I was referring to the era that they were involved in and the players they were at their peak. But yeah I reckon they might get 1 maybe 2 years out of these boys punctuated by injury Souths contract is about right but 4 years for Watmough on big cash is crazy. He is no Ben Kennedy and wont bring much except an over inflated wallet and ego. Glenn's story on the other hand is very similar to Ben Kennedy he has been forced out due to a poor injury record and was lucky to get a contract. However he is going to a club that are already premiers he should have went to a club like Canberra where he could have made a difference by teaching them his work ethic. Choc on the other hand will walk into Parra thinking he is king poo and probably wont garner much support from the younger generation.

Just another thing - players like Lui, Jesse, Starling have have all bought into the Seaeagles winning culture will go up another notch in 2015, particularly with so much competition for a spot, Donny's training & feeling far more comfortable after their 1st season at Brookie.
Plus Lawrence who has improved 300% since joining Manly will also have added confidence, especially after gaining representative recognition....

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6