Forward Fix?

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

I love yarts, although this one is 100% based on what we have available (not injured) at the moment . This should, in my opinion, greatly impact our forward durability and variety in games.

8. Jake Trbojevic
9. Manese Fainu
10. Martin Taupau
11. Kelepi Tanginoa
12. Shaun Lane
13. Joel Thompson (reasons below)

14. Trent Hodkinson
15. Addin Fonua-Blake
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Frank Winterstein (depth dies here)

- Variety!!
- More robust and versatile middle, problem with Trbo at lock is that he tires with his workload and is dumbed down in attack as a result, also becoming easy to shift around in defence as he grows fatigued, making our middle very vulnerable late in games as observed. Thompson is tough, experienced, very fit and durable.
- More bench prop impact with Trbo and Taupau, AFB and Paseka now interchanging (stronger and more experienced than Taupau and AFB interchanging with Tanginoa and Paseka)
- We'd have genuine reason to have Frank Winterstein on the bench, as he can give Tanginoa a break when Taupau/Trbo enter their second stints and he begins to tire.
- Tanginoa deserves promotion and his leg speed, late footwork, strength, good defence and decisiveness make him absolutely perfect to be a strong hole running back-rower eg. Frizell, Cordner.

In my opinion this would be a huge improvement, let's see if it truly is flaw-proof with the analysis from you lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Got no problem with Thommo at lock but by moving Jake you are restricting him to one side and I doubt we can afford that.
Glad you've got Marty in the starting line up.
Great idea to start him off the bench the other week. Not.
Frankenstein........
Just has to make up the numbers I guess.

Got no problem with Thommo at lock but by moving Jake you are restricting him to one side and I doubt we can afford that.
Glad you've got Marty in the starting line up.
Great idea to start him off the bench the other week. Not.
Frankenstein........
Just has to make up the numbers I guess.
Yeah shame we don't have Siro back. The good thing about our side is that the forwards aren't bad, we may not need Jake on both sides with Taupau, Tanginoa, Thompson already with some power and skills such as footwork/leg speed. Jake has been like a second halfback although I do feel our halves need to take complete ownership of the attack, and Jake just needs to simplify his game a bit. Been really impressed with Joel Thompson this year, started slow although he is great in defence and is one of the few who put his body on the line, he resembles manly of old.

The backline is hard to fix though (defencively)

Jake has gotta stay lock and play the 80. Tanginoa I think is still best off the bench because of the impact he can have.

8 Fonua-Blake
9 Koroisau
10 Taupau
11 Thompson
12 Sironen
13 J Trbojevic

14 Fainu
15 Tanginoa
16 Gosiewski
17 Paseka

But looking at our full strength forward pack for next season, it's a bloody good one. With Api and So do but it also becomes a much more attacking forward pack.

tangles is more of a straight hard runner so having him out wide will mean there is little to no ball getting to your outside backs.

Jake is better on the park and in the middle keeping our defence solid so moving him will only mean we are chasing more points.

I thought using Taupau off the bench was a great idea. I hate that period late in both halves when AFB and and Taupau are off.

The mistake was starting Marty in the second half too. He should have come on late again. And i would have started Tanginoa instead of Paseka for that extra energy to start the game.

After seeing Perrett in NSW cup on the weekend your spot on leaving him out - lazy and zero effort.
This backrower Tanginoa is going to be a very handy player when he gets a string of games together and will be a big part of any pack going forward.

My thoughts with Jake is that although it's good to have him on the field for the whole 80, it'd be much more effective to have him on the field for 50 or so minutes where he's at his best and is providing us some strong impact off the bench after his first stint. If Tanginoa isn't suited to second-row (which I feel he'd be good in) he could swap to lock and Thompson retain his second-row spot. Tanginoa reminds me of a stronger, although stockier version of Jason Taumalolo. Great workload and always very willing with the ball in hand, having him float around the field and use his strong line-running, footwork and leg speed will be good as well.

The one good thing about our shizenness in 2018 is that we can experiment with what's we've got. One for mine is definitely moving AFB back to the bench and shifting Jake to prop.

My thoughts with Jake is that although it's good to have him on the field for the whole 80, it'd be much more effective to have him on the field for 50 or so minutes where he's at his best and is providing us some strong impact off the bench after his first stint. If Tanginoa isn't suited to second-row (which I feel he'd be good in) he could swap to lock and Thompson retain his second-row spot. Tanginoa reminds me of a stronger, although stockier version of Jason Taumalolo. Great workload and always very willing with the ball in hand, having him float around the field and use his strong line-running, footwork and leg speed will be good as well.

The one good thing about our shizenness in 2018 is that we can experiment with what's we've got. One for mine is definitely moving AFB back to the bench and shifting Jake to prop.
Jake isn't an impact forward though, he is a ball playing backrower who will give you a sustained 80 minute performance.

Jake isn't an impact forward though, he is a ball playing backrower who will give you a sustained 80 minute performance.
He had some great impact for NSW playing stints, made roughly the same metres as he did for Manly in a substantially less amount of time (20min less).

He averages 113.7 running metres per game (average) over an average of 13.4 hitups. Whereas in Origin (games 1 and 2, 2018), Jake averaged 97.5 running metres per game over both 59 and 60 minute stints respectively. Meaning we could sub Jake off for 20 minutes a game and only have to compromise around 10m from Jake, yet by doing this we'd have a more concentrated use of his impact, rather than spreading his impact over 80 minutes and thus, lessening it. To utilise Trbo to the max we must concentrate his workload to smaller periods in games (of around 60 minutes), allowing for the other bench prop to come on for that 20 or so minutes, focus on making around 50-60 metres and therefore collectively make around 100m (Jake) + 50-60m (bench prop) a game. Then not only are we getting roughly the same metres out of Trbo over the game, but we are also adding to it by 50-60 metres by putting him onto the bench rotation.

Before: Jake's position produces an average of 113.7m a game
After: Jake's position produces around 150-160m a game, and has a more concentrated use of Trbo when he's on the field, keeping him active around the ruck defensively and making him more of a threat when with ball in hand. Probably prolongs his career as well?

Btw, this isn't clear whatever the hell I just wrote

Last edited by a moderator:
Our forwards are great on paper. Top 4.

Coaching is the problem, either tactically or them not playing for the coach. There is no grit, mongrel or desire.
Someone like Des or Tooves would shape this lot into a premiership pack.

Shuffling them around and/or recruiting others won't change a thing.

He had some great impact for NSW playing stints, made roughly the same metres as he did for Manly in a substantially less amount of time (20min less).

He averages 113.7 running metres per game (average) over an average of 13.4 hitups. Whereas in Origin (games 1 and 2, 2018), Jake averaged 97.5 running metres per game over both 59 and 60 minute stints respectively. Meaning we could sub Jake off for 20 minutes a game and only have to compromise around 10m from Jake, yet by doing this we'd have a more concentrated use of his impact, rather than spreading his impact over 80 minutes and thus, lessening it. To utilise Trbo to the max we must concentrate his workload to smaller periods in games (of around 60 minutes), allowing for the other bench prop to come on for that 20 or so minutes, focus on making around 50-60 metres and therefore collectively make around 100m (Jake) + 50-60m (bench prop) a game. Then not only are we getting roughly the same metres out of Trbo over the game, but we are also adding to it by 50-60 metres by putting him onto the bench rotation.

Before: Jake's position produces an average of 113.7m a game
After: Jake's position produces around 150-160m a game, and has a more concentrated use of Trbo when he's on the field, keeping him active around the ruck defensively and making him more of a threat when with ball in hand. Probably prolongs his career as well?

Btw, this isn't clear whatever the hell I just wrote
Agree to disagree but I still believe Jake must play the 80

I think ideally what needs to happen is for AFB and Taupau to start with another good front tower coming off the bench and Paseka Tanginoa and Sipley fighting it out for the last spot.

After seeing Perrett in NSW cup on the weekend your spot on leaving him out - lazy and zero effort.
This backrower Tanginoa is going to be a very handy player when he gets a string of games together and will be a big part of any pack going forward.
Agreed - Ive thought the last few years we've really lacked a couple of blokes that keep it real simple. No need for flair - just hit the ball up on the burst and repeat. I like Kelepi too.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8