Forget Rothfield, your Round 1 team and why??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bearfax said:
Jatz Crackers said:
You have to be careful when its a forward. There is real danger if say an 18 year old is thrown in against older more experienced forwards.

I will acknowledge that point though I think you'll find there are been quite a few 17 year old forwards and some 16 year old ones who have been brought into first grade. There was one who played for Cronulla about a decade or so ago who I was pretty sure was 16 and went on to play rep football. I might be wrong but I think there is now a restriction that you have to have turned 17 on Jan 1 to be able to play first grade during that year though that may now be 18. Cant seem to find the info.

The Cronulla (parra) player was Adam Ritson. He ended up getting hit ilegally .. 14 operations later and a court case, never played again .. probably a great reason to lift the age. Had the ability but it is a very tough game, especially for a forward.

Stevo said:
Stewart
Taufua
Matai
Lyon
Williams
Foran
DCE
King
Ballin
Kite
Horo
Watmough
Stewart

Buhrer
Gulavao
Fa'oso
Lawrence

I'm not really sure about Lawrence. I know he's been played as a prop but apparently he's fast, agile and super fit. He may be used in both front and second row rotations?

That's basically my team at full strength

Ritson's career ending issue wasn't because of illegal hits on the field. He had a tumour or something that was discovered because of a scan he had due to a concussion received from a high tackle.

The game is a lot cleaner these days and the old softening up period is long gone. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Guys playing at 16 in top grade still happens though (will never happen in the NRL anymore).
A few in the ESL debuted at 16/17 -
Andy Farrell
Keiron Cunningham
Kevin Sinfeld

In fact I think a half debuted this past weekend at 17 for Salford

eagles2win said:
Stevo said:
Stewart
Taufua
Matai
Lyon
Williams
Foran
DCE
King
Ballin
Kite
Horo
Watmough
Stewart

Buhrer
Gulavao
Fa'oso
Lawrence

I'm not really sure about Lawrence. I know he's been played as a prop but apparently he's fast, agile and super fit. He may be used in both front and second row rotations?

Same, same.

King said:
eagles2win said:
Stevo said:
Stewart
Taufua
Matai
Lyon
Williams
Foran
DCE
King
Ballin
Kite
Horo
Watmough
Stewart

Buhrer
Gulavao
Fa'oso
Lawrence

Same, same.

That's it I think too

Bearfax said:
Jatz Crackers said:
You have to be careful when its a forward. There is real danger if say an 18 year old is thrown in against older more experienced forwards.

I will acknowledge that point though I think you'll find there are been quite a few 17 year old forwards and some 16 year old ones who have been brought into first grade. There was one who played for Cronulla about a decade or so ago who I was pretty sure was 16 and went on to play rep football. I might be wrong but I think there is now a restriction that you have to have turned 17 on Jan 1 to be able to play first grade during that year though that may now be 18. Cant seem to find the info.
This presentation suggests in total - across all teams - only one or two 18 year olds play NRL - see pages 5 and 6. Most debut at 20 to 21.

http://www.rugbyleague.com.au/nrlwelfare/files/CDAA_presentation_NRL_2012.pdf

I hope Horo lives up to the hype. And everyone has dismissed Mauro as a first 17 player ??

I think a lot depends on who we use to replace T-Rex on the LHS fringe. Do we put Choc back there as a hole runner ? or do we use Buhrer in a Beaver like ball playing role (like Gifty on the RHS) ?

If Choc goes wide then we need more grunt in the run on side to do the yards in the middle third of the field. For me that means Mauro or Joe get the 12 jersey, maybe Fa'aoso as well. If Choc stays tight than we can use Buhrer or maybe Horo on LHS.

If Wolf not fit then Farrer is first cab off rank for vacant wing spot IMO.

Be surprised if the Wolfman played in Round 1!!

And clearly Farrer has runs on the board, so I agree he would be first choice.

Chip and Chase said:
I hope Horo lives up to the hype. And everyone has dismissed Mauro as a first 17 player ??

I think a lot depends on who we use to replace T-Rex on the LHS fringe. Do we put Choc back there as a hole runner ? or do we use Buhrer in a Beaver like ball playing role (like Gifty on the RHS) ?

If Choc goes wide then we need more grunt in the run on side to do the yards in the middle third of the field. For me that means Mauro or Joe get the 12 jersey, maybe Fa'aoso as well. If Choc stays tight than we can use Buhrer or maybe Horo on LHS.

If Wolf not fit then Farrer is first cab off rank for vacant wing spot IMO.

I just Can't see Buhrer starting in rd 1. Simply because i think Tooves will go with what he knows works early in the season to lay a solid platform.

Jamie plays the utillity role too well to not use him there. Horo is a more than adequate second rower but as you said Joe G may play there also. Blokes like Kayne Lawton will have to prove themselves i think.

The team picks itself IMO. The only question is who plays in what number.

I'm excited by the prospect of Horo. I only saw a couple of games he played for Parra late last season and he was a fantastic attacking player. I'm not sure about his defence.
Therefore, he may be used on the bench as an attacking weapon, with Joe, Ritchie or Vic the 'stoppers' for the start of a match, or when defence is paramount.
Buhrer is another attacking player. Both can cover some backline positions. It may be a luxury to carry both on the bench. I don;t know. But I do know that there are so many options that we'll have plenty of debate throughout the season.

I expect to see a lot of Lawton off the bench possibly even in our strongest side, he is the signing I have most hopes for ( outside of Chee Kam.)

There were a few 16 year olds playing first grade in the mid to late nineties - Owen Craigie, Ritson, Josh Hannay, and O'meeley I think were all 16 when they debuted. With the exception of Ritson - there is something to be said for the strain of the game only allowing for the same length of career whether a bloke starts at sixteen and plays until thirty or 20 and plays until 34.

Troibjevic and Gutherson will have their time. To rush them in now we risk their development and also a cashed up under-performing team throwing a squillion at them based on a couple of highlight reel plays, while we still have established blokes covering their spots. Succession planning is the key - we have two centres and a fullback with three years in them have bought well to cover Kite and King's departure, until Stromqvist and Troibjevic, (Cunningham?) mature or a good prop pops up on the market.

Gift and Choc will be hard to cover - they are real footballers rather than athletes which most clubs have in their back row - and that makes all the difference.

Snake
Wolfman
Lyon
Matai
Tafua
Foz
DCE
King
MB
Kite
Choc
Gift
Buhrer

Joe
Lawrence
Mauro
Faoso

A settled and experienced squad for the first few rounds, with Liam Foran and Lawton we have cover for hooker and halves injuries (what's doing with Riccardi?) Farrer, Hiku, Gutherson, Tonga outside backs and Rose, Stromqvist, Sao, Troibjevic up front.

Think we will miss Harrison if any injuries in the back row occur but Tong or Chee Kam might cover adequately with LFoz (excellent defense) an option.

We have never had this much depth - I forgot the Parramatta junior we signed also and that big bopper from the sharks

Amazing depth this year, best I have seen for years (and something I felt we lacked a bit in 2012)

I'll go with

1. Snake (picks himself)
2. Taufua (first choice winger after his debut season)
3. killer (picks himself)
4. Matai (picks himself)
5. Wolfman (if fit, otherwise Farrar)
6. Foz (picks himself)
7. DCE (picks himself)
8. Kite (picks himself)
9. Ballin (picks himself)
10. King (picks himself)
11. Choc (picks himself, and playing on the left edge)
12. Ferris (I'd give him a crack at cementing a starting spot, playing tight)
13. Gift (picks himself)

14. Lawton (utility value)
15. Horo (to interchange with Ferris)
16. Joe (the guy's a machine)
17. Georgie (love the guy and is quite damaging when used in bursts)

As Mark said, much improved depth and guys like Fa'aoso, Lawrence, Hiku, Chee Kam will get a chance. Hoping some young guns like Gutherson, Trbjovic and Stromqvist get a look in as well.

Napper said:
Rothfield
Ritchie
Zorba
Wilson
Webster
Massoud
Hughes
Kent
Gallop
Harrigan
Sterling
May
Hasler
Cleal

Vs

Manly

With cricket bats

Typical. Notice how that team of cheats have snuck a 14th man onto the field.

Jatz Crackers said:
Napper said:
Rothfield
Ritchie
Zorba
Wilson
Webster
Massoud
Hughes
Kent
Gallop
Harrigan
Sterling
May
Hasler
Cleal

Vs

Manly

With cricket bats

Typical. Notice how that team of cheats have snuck a 14th man onto the field.

There's only one man amongst that lot..... Wilson.

Snake
Taufua
Killer
Mats
Wolfie
Foz
DCE
Kite
Ballin
King
Choc
Horo
Gift

Buhrer
Joe
Lawrence
Rose / Faoso

Think we need Buhrer off the bench to fill gaps and speed as the game gets on.... I reckon Horo will be a big player for us

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4