Football or Soccer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I am invovled with a big debate on the name that the round ball game might use in Australia.

In most parts of the world the game hase been called Football, apart from the USA, NZ and Australia. Soccer of course came from the official name - Association Football.

It just seems silly here in Aust when Aussie Rules, Rugby and League have all been 'footy' for years. In the UK, both League and Union have been called 'Rugby'.

I am not debating the merits of any particular sport but wish to gauge what forumers think of the name change. Is is needed, is it relevant or is a joke? Does anyone care?

No, i don't care hahhaa

but, for me i have and will always call it soccer... i'm 21 years old and my whole life i have known it as soccer.

For me, Rugby league has always been known as footy, i've always called afl - afl and rugby union i've always called union.

I call it soccer simply because its easier than defining each different game. It is by far more suited to the name football than Rugby and league and even more so than AFL but at least it is defined rather than having to explain.

I'm with Dan and Nutz.

It does make sense to call it football but having grown up with calling it soccer, seems silly to change now.

Whenever I say I'm off to watch the footy, people always assume I am going to the AFL as down here, its Rugby. (Both league and Union, most victorians dont know the difference)

I am from the other school of thought – I have always called it football and will continue to do so (I call league league etc)

lol trying to start the debate mate?

Not for soft men. I ended up with a concussion and spitting blood for about half an hour on Saturday and kept playing, am suffering from some pretty bad whiplash from it now too and well as a couple of others.

More injuries in soccer than many other sports

Yeah and that was just when Dan was helping out Reffing a Junior girls match ;)

All sports have their share of injuries, just each requires a differnt sort of toughness to play.

It can be as tough as any other game in the world (have a look at the new Syd FC gaffer http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/780/71974-5.jpg - you would not want to be late to training.........)

Who cares?

As Warren Ryan said on Satruday night, it's just a game for soft, cowed men.
I heard Wazza make that comment - and it is based on the tendency of players to dive and then writhe on the ground like dying soldiers when they cop a slight tap on the leg to suddenly get up and be totally fine. Has always annoyed me about soccer and always will. The ease to take a cheap shot at someone else's leg also irritates me.

As someone who played League for many years and still plays 0ver 35 soccer at a fair standard (coaching junior rugby as well) I can't say that the majority of those who play soccer are soft. The aim of the game is not to take hits and get hit but it takes courage to go in hard - helps that I am big I suppose. (I am told I play more like a league player than a soccer player anyway.)

i call soccer soccer, league, league, union union and afl afl.

or all of tehm can be footy.

as for injuries etc, people i talk to reakon afl is the worst (those that have played at least 2 for decent lengths of time at reasonable levels)

Soccer is easily the most skillfull allround, only the halves have anywhere near the skills in their feet that the average soccer player has.

Toughness - i had more injuries in soccer at a younger age than in league/union games at uni and i have certanly dropped and injured more guys legit in soccer than elsewhere

Soccer might have skill in their feet but they couldn't pass a ball to save themselves. Putting an offload onto a running player at speed when in traffic takes a lot of skill AND toughness that a soccer player doesn't have.

Whilst working hard and looking up stats on injury ratio's for soccer and other sports, I foung this site.

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/nrl.php?team=Manly&mascot=Sea%20Eagles

It has injury updates for every NRL side. Not sure how accurate it is but seems quite up to date.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4