Fix our poor start and leaking defence and we start to win more games

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Looking at the first 5 weeks, for me the biggest disappointment has been the poor starts and how we cannot contain the ruck and leak points easily out wide.

We came back strongly against the Dogs, were coming home over the Tigers and Souths - but the starts we have been giving away have been killing us!

As the game rolls on, we seem to fix the defensive problems to a degree, the bigger sides tire and we get a roll on in the forwards. The commitment is there from the players who have been fighting til full time, but I'm surprised when we start games, oppositions sides find it so easy to roll forward and score points. I know we have the players to score points, especially when they all click, but I worry about our D more than anything.

For me, this is the best 17 - based on fixing those defensive issues in the ruck early on and out wide.

1. Snake
2. Tafua
3. Lyon
4. Walker
5. Tommy
6. Api
7. DCE
8. Myles
9. Parcell
10. Starling
11. Buhrer
12. Kapow
13. Jake

14. Lawrence (impact, energy)
15. Vave (impact, good meter gain)
16. Mateo (x factor, ball player) or Lussick (if need another big booper for 20 min impact)
17. Brown, Symonds, Matai - cover for backs

True, the slow starts arent good. But whats the remedy? The boys are definitely trying. Perhaps its just an attitude thing? And maybe the attitude thing comes from having so many newbies still getting used to fighting in the trenches with each other. Confidence in your fellow player comes with time. Hard to say

All good coaches will tell you that Defense 90% attitude and 10% technique and structure. This team is mentally weak and doesn't have the defensive attitude needed to be a top 4 team. Responsibility for that lies squarely at the feet of the defensive coach.

All good coaches will tell you that Defense 90% attitude and 10% technique and structure. This team is mentally weak and doesn't have the defensive attitude needed to be a top 4 team. Responsibility for that lies squarely at the feet of the defensive coach.

Correct, but D is an area where team cohesion is important. It takes time to really gel, and with up to 80% of the forward pack never playing together before, and new D patterns it will take longer.

In DCE and Foran we had been blessed with two of the best edge defenders in the comp. We were always going to miss Foran's defense, and Walker is not at his level yet.

Having said that you would expect the D coach to be making some headway by round 5.

PS. It is why I like Vave, he brings attitude.

I think the team has the desire and are quite tough individually. As a team they are yet to find there feet and become a confident unit. In time with a few confidence building wins they will get there swagger and this will result in better starts.

This team has really had to earn its wins and they realise hard work rather than slick cohesion has got them there wins thus far. Once they gel a bit it will all turn around.

This team is showing improvement and character, more so than a lot of posters. Its footy. I know we are manly but having a life long expectation of success is a bit shallow. Its awesome when it comes , but appreciation rather than expectation is a much better trait to have. Its great to joke about , but when its not a joke, its not my cup of tea

Just my opinion, but im sure some ironstein will now say its my expectation for some humility. So be it and fair enough, your right too. Embrace the differences man , enjoy the ride. We teach our kids that things are better when we earn it. Lets kick back and watch our team earn the respect.

Its happening if you take time to notice the positives rather than the negatives

Actually see some ball, no stupid penalties, complete some sets. Don't overthink it. Just stick to a very simple plan. Bash and defend.

This team is completely different to Hasler's and Toovey's teams in the past. It has been a long time since we have had 3 explosive players that can turn the game around in a moment. With Parcell, Walker and Taupau we have players that can turn half a break into try and we have seen it already in only 5 weeks. The more the players play together the better they will become. The best part is that they are young and can hang around for years. Last week they started to work out how to defend as a group and once they start getting a bit of success their confidence will grow and they could be quite a formidable team when it counts at the end of the season.

It's nothing more than " work in progress", let's not forget our teams from 2005-2014 hardly had any changes.

Oh sure some arrived some left but the core of the team were largely the same.

This is part of the rebuild , we will improve , in my opinion not enough in 2016 to feature big time in the finals but I'd love to be proven wrong.

And if ( a very BIG if) we lose one or all 3 of our aging superstars and have to replace them then 2017 could be a tough year as well.

But it's building building & building.

I just don't believe you can have instant success

It's nothing more than " work in progress", let's not forget our teams from 2005-2014 hardly had any changes.

Oh sure some arrived some left but the core of the team were largely the same.

This is part of the rebuild , we will improve , in my opinion not enough in 2016 to feature big time in the finals but I'd love to be proven wrong.

And if ( a very BIG if) we lose one or all 3 of our aging superstars and have to replace them then 2017 could be a tough year as well.

But it's building building & building.

I just don't believe you can have instant success
Depends what we get out of those big three this year though. If we eek into the finals or get there comfortably and continue getting average production from Killer and Matai, they won't be that hard to replace. Remember, we're not replacing the 2008 versions. The Snake/Turbo shift will be harder because as solid as Tom Turbo is on the wing, he's not quite ready to assume the #1 full time. Really good teams tend to have a seasoned fullback.

Ideally I think the following might work.

Skivvy retires this year.

Jamie & Snake in 2017, with Snake to be rested in games through 2017 ( replaced with Tom to gather experience ) ensuring he's fit for the finals.

Buy if possible a top quality centre for 2017, recruit from within for the loss of the others at the end of that year.

Last edited:
Ideally I think the following might work.

Skivvy retires this year.

Jamie & Snake in 2017, with Snake to be rested in games through 2017 ( replaced with Tom to gather experience ) ensuring his fit for the finals.

Buy if possible a top quality centre for 2017, recruit from within for the loss of the others at the end of that year.
Personally I feel both Jamie and Matai should retire at the end of this year.

Jamie will be a 35yr old centre if he runs around next year and I just can't see that as a good way for him to go out, nor for the team. He is showing this year that he is struggling in a number of areas and I would hate for him to go one year too many.

Jamie will be a 35yr old centre if he runs around next year and I just can't see that as a good way for him to go out, nor for the team. He is showing this year that he is struggling in a number of areas and I would hate for him to go one year too many.

Can't disagree with that, but finding two replacement centres in one year might be somewhat of a task.

Backs are struggling more so due to our lack of forward strength and doing too much of the hard grind work, along with missing two genuine ballplayers in Foran and G.Stewart.

Matai and Lyon would still be performing great if we had the forwards and a ballplayer, maybe tell another player to head off to England and use his salary to beef up the pack for next year, then add a few more retirements afterwards.

Matai and Lyon centres for next year, Walker slotting back into centre 2018 if he does not progress, to either replace a retirement or have Matai as a back rower on the interchange for short spurts,(as long as his chronic injury can cope still performs at a high level with an injury for how many years now) then the following year another new centre.

Last edited:
Can't disagree with that, but finding two replacement centres in one year might be somewhat of a task.
Yes, that is a challenge. No point moving them on if we have nobody better to replace them with. I think we will be in the market for a new centre next year and if we decide to grab a genuine 5/8 as well (not sure who is off contract in 2017), then Walker may move back into the centres and we are covered.

Backs are struggling more so due to our lack of forward strength and doing too much of the hard grind work, along with missing two genuine ballplayers in Foran and G.Stewart.

Matai and Lyon would still be performing great if we had the forwards and a ballplayer, maybe tell another player to head off to England and use his salary to beef up the pack for next year, then add a few more retirements afterwards.

Matai and Lyon centres for next year, Walker slotting back into centre 2018 if he does not progress, to either replace a retirement or have Matai as a back rower on the interchange for short spurts,(as long as his chronic injury can cope still performs at a high level with an injury for how many years now) then the following year another new centre.
Whilst we need to improve in the forwards, I don't think we are as bad off as some are suggesting. I think we will see AFB and Knight make their way into the side over the coming months which should provide additional punch in the middle.

I still see Lyon and Matai struggling defensively and suggest it will only get worse not better in terms of their ability to get into position, get their body in front of their man and make effective defensive efforts (consistently).

Matai seems to be struggling physically - more so this year than in previous years, and I believe this is a sign that his chronic shoulder issues are starting to take a toll that may not be sustainable beyond this year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7