Five-Eighth Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
In the most one-sided poll ever Cliff Lyons was overwhelmingly voted as the best five-eighth ever in the maroon and white. The other choices were all superb and the best players in the position in their era.

However the Silvertails have spoken and Cliffy is added to the 60 year Manly Superteam that is slowly taking shape. He polled over 77 % of all votes.

Further polls will be undertaken later in the year until we have the full team with coach and subs etc.

maybe we should include a coach and managment into the best ever polls.

no we cant do that, the current mob might see it and get a rude wake up call with 0% of votes.

All respects to Cliffy, but Cliff Lyons is the best five-eighth ever in the maroon and white only if you ignore Bozo for the position. If Fulton had been included as an option for the position, then he would have been overwhelmingly voted as the best five-eighth ever in the maroon and white by anyone who saw him play. I'm a staunch Cliffy fan, but it's a no contest.

Rexx, we had a poll on that earlier in the year and the decision was to run Bozo at centre where he played in the 72, 73 and 76 premiership teams. Funnily enough Alan Thompson played more Test footy than Cliffy.

Whilst I agree with you on the Bozo - Five-eighth matter most pollsters would still vote Cliffy as he is more currently in the memory banks.

An example is that Hoppa was nearly voted onto the team ahead of Kerry Boustead and Ken Irvine - and they are streets ahead of him in my view.

These youngsters have no idea! Can't blame them if they haven't seen them play.

Always been a Hoppa fan from the time he came through the juniors, but he's behind Boustead who's behind arguably the best winger ever in Irvine. Ribot, much as I hate his guts, is another dominant winger that pops to mind who'd rate above Hoppa.

On the subject of Thompson, when Manly had Bozo and a host of big-name international stars, the coach of the time (Stanton I think) said Thompson was the first player he picked each week! Best hands in the business at the time, best long/cut-out pass in the business at the time. A player that made other players look good. Solid defence. A real favourite of mine.

An example is that Hoppa was nearly voted onto the team ahead of Kerry Boustead and Ken Irvine - and they are streets ahead of him in my view.

Max Brown & Rod Jackson are ahead of Hoppa.
Tom Mooney deserves his own thread.

Alan Thompson would be my 5/8, Bozo in the centres and Cliffy on the bench.

These youngsters have no idea! Can't blame them if they haven't seen them play.

Always been a Hoppa fan from the time he came through the juniors, but he's behind Boustead who's behind arguably the best winger ever in Irvine. Ribot, much as I hate his guts, is another dominant winger that pops to mind who'd rate above Hoppa.

On the subject of Thompson, when Manly had Bozo and a host of big-name international stars, the coach of the time (Stanton I think) said Thompson was the first player he picked each week! Best hands in the business at the time, best long/cut-out pass in the business at the time. A player that made other players look good. Solid defence. A real favourite of mine.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

[/quote]

god the centres will be hard to decide ??

OConner/Fulton ?

Shearer/Hill/Williams/Innes/Gartner jesus!

Blake/Shearer two reserve backs! what about attacking off the bench!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2