Five-eighth James Maloney confirms Warriors exit and Australia return after 2012 NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Five-eighth James Maloney confirms Warriors exit and Australia return after 2012 NRL season

The Warriors have failed to retain playmaker James Maloney, with the five-eighth confirming he will continue his NRL career in Australia in 2013.

Maloney, who has developed into one of the competition's top playmakers since joining the Warriors from Melbourne in 2010, will see out the final year of his contract next season.

But while he did not reveal which NRL club he would be going to, Maloney says the decision to move back across the Tasman wasn't an easy one and was based on a desire to be nearer family and friends.

The NSW-born Maloney, who is due to become a father for the second time, says he owes a lot to the Warriors, who signed him after just four first-grade games for the Melbourne Storm.

"The club came up with a great offer but the big issue for us has always been our desire to go back home to Australia so we can be closer to our families and friends," he said.

"There was interest from other clubs but it's been a really tough decision to make and I know we'll miss the Warriors and all the supporters."

Maloney is relieved to have the issue sorted out so he can concentrate on next season under new coach Brian McClennan.

Warriors recruitment manager Dean Bell was disappointed the club couldn't retain Maloney, but the player had made it clear that family issues were the big factor in his decision.

His departure will be cushioned by the arrival at the end of next season of Kiwis utility Thomas Leuluai, who will be returning from Wigan to the club where he began his first-grade career.

Maloney, 25, has been the Warriors' first choice five-eighth in his two seasons in Auckland.

He has missed just two of the club's 53 matches during that period, both through suspension, and scored 394 points, including 20 tries.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/five-eighth-james-maloney-confirms-warriors-exit-and-australia-return-after-2012-nrl-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226206728996?from=public_rss

It also shows that should Kieran Foran be a follower, and not a leader, there are other opportunities in the market place for replacement players.

It's been no secret that souths have been going after him pretty hard, I'd bet heavily on him going there.

Blake said:
It's been no secret that souths have been going after him pretty hard, I'd bet heavily on him going there.

Are you mad? I'd never bet heavily on Souths - for any reason. :)

Gorgeous George said:
Blake said:

What about a bet on Souths not winning the premiership?

deadlyeagle said:
Well I wouldnt be surprised if the warriors now make a strong push for foran!

Why they have Carlos Tuminvae playing for the junior warriors.
Also picking up young guys from union left right and centre

Its funny how the article says that the Warriors wanted to retain him. I spoke to his uncle on grand final day and he told me back then that James wanted a 3 year deal and the Warriors told him they wouldn't be re-signing him. The Warriors are looking to fill the team with as many kiwi's as possible and were happy with the players coming through in Toyota Cup. The club that was most interested in James back than was the Roosters.

Napper said:
He signed with Souths.
Bad luck for him, he seemed to have some potential. Souths seem to have an uncanny knack of taking good footballers from other clubs and turning them to ****.

Moondog said:
Napper said:
He signed with Souths.
Bad luck for him, he seemed to have some potential. Souths seem to have an uncanny knack of taking good footballers from other clubs and turning them to s**t.

Souths are like a 'fitter and turner' Moondog?

They fit good players into the team, then turn them into ****...

With apologies to the late Graham Kennedy.

King said:
Its funny how the article says that the Warriors wanted to retain him. I spoke to his uncle on grand final day and he told me back then that James wanted a 3 year deal and the Warriors told him they wouldn't be re-signing him. The Warriors are looking to fill the team with as many kiwi's as possible and were happy with the players coming through in Toyota Cup. The club that was most interested in James back than was the Roosters.

Maloney will be a rooster in 2013. Turns out his uncle was on the money.

well, one would think this takes the roosters out of the race for foran, but is it a forgone conclusion he will be going to des-peration central?

more than anything i just dont know if we will have the cap space to retain everyone. and im hoping we keep cherry and we can mould riccardi into a 5/8 if we cant hold onto foz along with everyone else.

i think we should have let kite go this year to give us a bit more breathing space for end of 2012 when we have a whole new batch of players to sign.

Great news you wouldn't expect foran at the roosters now. If what the poster king says is true about the warriors their idiots. Leilui has nothing on malony

bones said:
Gorgeous George said:
Blake said:

What about a bet on Souths not winning the premiership?

Not a chance, the odds would be so short that you'd have to put your house on it to make lunch money from the win.

cyms12 said:
Can't understand the Roosters signing Maloney. They already have Anasta, Pearce and Mortimer. They have bigger problems than their halves.

Pretty simple- Anasta is washed up, Pearce and Morts are rubbish. Maloney is class.

I wonder who will coach them in 2013. I'd like to put money on it not being brianne smith

Rusty is starting to lose some of his appeal. I have it on good authority the Bunnies were definitely keen on Carney and Maloney, and when you factor in losing Sandow that's 3 players they've missed out on. Seems players are wising up to it, that despite how much fun it might be hanging out with a star and going to movie premiers and the like, it doesn't do much for your career.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6