Fitness and conditioning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
Every team this year seems to be fitter, faster and stronger than our players. Out of our over 30's players only snake will be available next week and even he seems to be struggling with his hammies

It doesn't appear that our tailor made fitness regime has worked. Time to bring back Donny

WE haven’t discovered the secret to immortality just yet, but Manly is working towards prolonging the football lives of their biggest stars.

The likes of centres Jamies Lyon and Steve Matai, and fullback Brett Stewart are among the best players of their generation.

But the end is nigh. The curtain is closing on these long and illustrious careers.

And while the Sea Eagles realise the end of an era is on the horizon, the club is determined to stave off the farewell tours for a little while longer.

The man charged with doing so is Dan Ferris.

Ferris was headhunted by Trent Barrett to be the club’s strength and conditioning coach this year, replacing long-time Manly staffer Donny Singe.

He spent eight years with Gold Coast Titans before taking the call from Barrett to join his team on the northern beaches.

It wasn’t easy coming into a fairly established playing group that had been following a regimen for 13 years

“I knew I had to prove myself. They’ve had a successful decade or so and I was an unknown to them,” Ferris told foxsports.com.au.

“There wasn’t that trust there, and that was fine, so I had to earn their trust just like they had to earn mine.

“Me and Baz had been planning for three or four months prior to starting, we had everything planned down to the minute. We were mindful of getting those guys to buy into the program.”

STEP 1: BUYING IN

So did the players buy into it? We’ll ask 31-year-old Steve Matai.

“(Ferris has) been great for us, I think it’s been the best pre-season we’ve had in a long time in regards to turning up and doing different things, feeling refreshed,” Matai said.

“He definitely refreshed myself, Killer (Lyon), Snake (Stewart), Nate Myles ... they’ve really looked after us and he did a lot of work.

“It’s probably the freshest I’ve felt and the fittest I’ve felt in a long time.”

So Ferris has crossed job number one off his list — get the players to buy in to his program.

That means they believe in the work he’s making them do and trusting it will get their bodies in the best shape possible to run out each and every week.

The senior guys are reaping the rewards of this new strength and conditioning program.

STEP 2: MAINTAINING INTEREST

After a decade of early morning starts, beep tests, hill runs, weight sessions, ice baths and coaches’ sprays you can imagine the life of a footballer gets a little old.

So for a guy like Jamie Lyon — currently playing his 17th season at the top level — the motivation to get out of bed every morning might wane over time.

That’s where Ferris thinks he can help.

By introducing new training techniques and keeping individual programs fresh, Ferris ensures everyone arrives at the Narrabeen headquarters ready to rip in.

“They’ve seen everything, they’ve done everything, and it’s now getting to enjoy and keep enjoying every day at training,” Ferris said.

“Mix things up, give them time away. The majority of them have got young families and kids so the more time they can spend with them they will actually enjoy coming to work more.

“If it’s groundhog day for them that’s when thoughts creep in like ‘do I want to do this?’.

“It’s keeping that balance of making sure they train right and train smart, make sure I am prepping them correctly, and look after that psychological side as well.

“They’ve earned that right to do that.”

STEP 3: MONITOR THE LOAD

Manly has more players over the age of 30 than any other NRL club in 2016.

Jamie Lyon (34), Steve Matai (31), Brett Stewart (31), Brenton Lawrence (31), Feleti Mateo (30) and Nate Myles (30) are all resident members of the “old boys” club at Brookvale.

Ferris understands the human body and he knows it needs different management at 30 than at 20 years old.

“Those guys don’t necessarily have to run as far as other people or do the same weights,” Ferris said of the older players.

“The key is looking after yourself away from the field as well. You can have a player that’s played for 10 years but if you’re fat and lazy it’s not going to work.

“These guys generally take care of themselves and they’re professional in what they do.

“With Brett Stewart we got him to his weight target, we hit a certain strength level we knew we had to get him to then we just kept him there ... dropped back his weights, dropped back his running load.

“Fitness sessions he might do half or three quarters of it, whereas Tommy (Trbojevic) will do all of it.”

Nate Myles, who’s got to know Ferris well after working with him at the Titans, is a fan of the bearded fitness mentor’s individual programs.

“The senior guys know what to do, they know their bodies better than anyone else and Dan helps them get ready for what they’ve been doing for decades,” Myles told foxsports.com.au.

“Dan has an ability to get the best out of players, they know what they’re going to get every time.”

DOES IT WORK?

So Ferris has got the Manly veterans to buy into his training philosophy, he’s maintaining their interest and the workloads are being monitored.

The end goal is to allow the players to stay on the field longer.

Jamie Lyon is off contract this year and will be 35 years old once next season rolls around.

Does he believe he can go around again, thanks in large to the club’s new strength and conditioning program?

“Ask me in two years if I’m still going around,” he says.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/6f3ecac1a3631bbea7cff1d34ac0d808

Last edited by a moderator:
We looked like the least fittest team in the comp last year too though

At least last year we won a few games at the end of the season and our forwards matched it with some of the best packs

This year in the remaining games we may beat Newcastle and that it about it.

That is too funny.

Lyon - retired
Snake - playing crap
Matai - season
Myles - playing ****
Lawrence - season.
Mateo - not playing.

Seems he has done a good job....@:worried:

Jamie Lyon (34), Steve Matai (31), Brett Stewart (31), Brenton Lawrence (31), Feleti Mateo (30) and Nate Myles (30) are all resident members of the “old boys” club at Brookvale.

Ferris understands the human body and he knows it needs different management at 30 than at 20 years old.

Honestly, this guy is a FAIL on all counts!. All of these guys have been crocks this year!!

What the hell is Manly doing?

From titan to joke in 2 years

NYEagle

So which injuries are you pinning on Ferris? Buhrer getting his face pummelled? DCE and Tom Turbo getting high ankle sprains? Matai's neck? BJ ripping a pec? Myles knee? Tafua's collarbone?

Sorry but that's all just a **** run of luck.

All those injured players mentioned are either just about to retire with chronic injuries that they have had for years or just a result of contact sport.

Look at all the players that have left manly recently under donny. Choc busted and forced to retire foran busted season over, ballin knee again.

Snake matai and lyon have nursed their bodies through the season over the last 3-4 years now and the rest are a result of some back lack during contact.

Injuries aside i do feel we could be more explosive getting up after being tackled and with ythe contact in defence. Our D doesn't work together in a straight line with some forwards still struggling with fitness after 15 mins on the field. That can be addressed

No one afforded any concession last season due to injury so none for this season if we compare apples with apples.

So it seems last yr was results driven and this yr is bad luck.

Barrett's excuses in the press conference were pathetic and i was embarressed at how stupid he sounded. Time to get tough with everyone and not be everyone's best friend.

Ferris and Seibold have given us nothing this season whilst their respective former clubs have gone from strength to strength.

Too many coincidences

Has little to do with fitness.

Always dominated in the ruck and backpedalling due to lack of power forwards in attack and defence.Markers working overtime every set.No combinations in defence developed due to 28 players used in 13 games.

Always starting sets off weak back three returns and pathetically slow play the balls which means forwards cover so much more ground back to the ball and never gain momentum.

Give away more penalties than any other side.Been doing this for years.

Usually playing with 15 or 16 for long periods due to in game injuries.

A ridiculous amount of 5 day turnarounds in the first 7 rounds compared to other teams which prevents proper recovery ( so many were whinging about this as a crime against Manly in the pre and early season yet is not mentioned in a fitness discussion now because it doesn't suit the panic agenda).

Same thing happened last year.Can be as fit as you like. If the above conditions apply each week every team will run short on gas. The greatest common dominators in Rugby League in terms of tries is having to defend back to back sets and giving away momentum.Big comebacks are far more common. Momentum is everything and we rarely have it.This is an incredibly energy sapping game without the ball.

Better discipline/changing the power factor in the forwards/better roster management in terms of player age and better luck with injuries is what is required.

Also as mentioned above we have so many guys with long term chronic injuries.To pin it on Donny and this new guy doesn't add up to me.

Last edited:
I just dont buy into manly not being fit. Not having a go at peoples thoughts at all, but where manly has lost its edge is in mental fitness. We are just not mentally as tough as we once were because these players have not been to the limit and back again sucessfully.

Choc, gifty, kite , kingy, along with lyon and matai taught mental fitness to the incomers, thats why we had so much success with other recruits. They raised the bar and respect for their efforts ensured the others did not let them down

The storm still have it, manly dont. Players like myles have it but i wonder if he is given the latitude as a leader to stamp his mark on the team. That is why we dont get the best out of myles.

For all of bk's ability , his mental toughness was the thing that turned our club around. At the time we needed a leader, accepted his leadership with open arms and followed him.

Not sure if the current crop of legends are ready to step aside and follow, become second in charge for the good of the club. They themselves would benefit from not carrying the load, it would probably freshen them up a bit and allow them to contribute off the field as mentors in a more rewarding and successful way, rather than having to be the ones

Im guessing from watching my team, and reading articles but mentally we are so out of sync on so many levels. We could recruit, godzilla, the justice league, and 5 guys named mo and would struggle

Choc, gifty, kite , kingy, along with lyon and matai taught mental fitness to the incomers, thats why we had so much success with other recruits
And mental toughness does not pop out of thin air or grow on trees.
Choc, Gifty, Kingy, and Matai learned their mental toughness having come through in a seriously struggling side, they experienced defeat and they learned to treasure victory. Would they have progressed without the addition of some hardheads in BK, Ox, and later Lyon? If we hadn't signed those stars would Hasler have been a master coach? Would Donny have been a fitness guru?

Our S and C team have copped plenty of flack on here lately, so I thought I would at least post that when being interviewed by Triple M last night Nathan Green, has credited Ferris etc with getting him in the best shape of his life.

Just thought it was good to get some positives thoughts from the players around this.

It's going to take Ferris a while to undo all Singe's bad work.

LOfeckinL!!!!

Die feck you, horse!! DIE!!! @:mad:

:flogger:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8