First little off season idea

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

Just a thread I wanted to start seeing as I heard Marata Niukore is reportedly trying to leave the eels. Great second-rower. Im totally happy with pursuing with Schuster and Olakautau. But I also think they have other spots screaming their name at the moment in centre and bench prop.

So, what would people think of releasing Taupau, signing Niukore?

Starting second-row of Niukore and Davey (defencively sound suring up our major weakness on the edges). Both are a strong ball runners and Niukore has great speed. Both very resilient and mobile.

Centres of Parker and Schuster. Parker next to Niukore. Schuster next to Davey.

Olakautau takes Taupau’s bench prop role and forces Lawton to reserves as he also covers second-row. I really like Olakautau, he’s awesome. A little bit of inexperience was seen in the finals (same as Schuster), and has a bit to go in defence. If Walker leaves (as was whispered) then Lawton becomes our bench roaming lock).

3. Schuster
4. Parker/Harper
8. Paseka
10. Keppie
11. Niukore
12. Davey
Bench: Walker, Olakautau, Bullemor, Ben Trbojevic/Sipley/Saddler/Aloiai

Just a thread I wanted to start seeing as I heard Marata Niukore is reportedly trying to leave the eels. Great second-rower. Im totally happy with pursuing with Schuster and Olakautau. But I also think they have other spots screaming their name at the moment in centre and bench prop.

So, what would people think of releasing Taupau, signing Niukore?

Starting second-row of Niukore and Davey (defencively sound suring up our major weakness on the edges). Both are a strong ball runners and Niukore has great speed. Both very resilient and mobile.

Centres of Parker and Schuster. Parker next to Niukore. Schuster next to Davey.

Olakautau takes Taupau’s bench prop role and forces Lawton to reserves as he also covers second-row. I really like Olakautau, he’s awesome. A little bit of inexperience was seen in the finals (same as Schuster), and has a bit to go in defence. If Walker leaves (as was whispered) then Lawton becomes our bench roaming lock).

3. Schuster
4. Parker/Harper
8. Paseka
10. Keppie
11. Niukore
12. Davey
Bench: Walker, Olakautau, Bullemor, Ben Trbojevic/Sipley/Saddler/Aloiai
Where’s everyone got this idea of Schuster as a centre from? Your taking away his biggest weapon- ball playing and exposing his biggest weakness- speed and defence. I personally hate it. If you wanted to move him I’d put him at lock and move Jake to prop.

Where’s everyone got this idea of Schuster as a centre from? Your taking away his biggest weapon- ball playing and exposing his biggest weakness- speed and defence. I personally hate it. If you wanted to move him I’d put him at lock and move Jake to prop.
I’ve posted about wanting Jake as a prop for years but it’s obviously never going to happen.

The inspiration with Schuster to centre is obviously Jamie Lyon. If we want Schuster in any shape to potentially shift to 5/8 later in his career he has to get fitter and bring back some speed. He has it, made a few speedy breaks this year but looked fatigued late in the season and didn’t have the consistent effort/energy. The idea is to make our left edge a Foran-Schuster patrolled edge with a reliable, simple second-rower and winger. Our right would be dce next to strike back-rower Niukore, simple Parker/Harper and Strike Saab.

Looks like Bullimor may be the only back row acquisition at this stage at least , Jake may be our best all round value forward but think that Olokatu - atu would be the next choice starting back row forward [ and starting forward for that matter ] on current ratings and along with Schuster . Maybe Burbo will be given more opportunity next season for back row consideration and Davey may be fit and showing something again to offer some good depth also .

A club can't just offload a player under contract, Illawarra has found this out with Simms. The player must be willing to move, plus be financially rewarded. That normally means his current club footing some of the salary in the first year of transfer.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
The team will remain the same with focus on defence next year and our go forward. We know we can score tries. Having Davey for a full season will help as he was a handy pickup before injury cut his season short. He is still an inexperienced footballer but an older head which will be valuable for our younger squad members. Bullemor will also add some go forward. Question is will Walker stay, and will we continue to have 2 forwards on the bench or move to 3. Both Panthers and Bunnies had 3.

I also hope Paseka packs on some muscle and aggression like NAS. He can be a deadly forward that teams fear.

Des would be working on something for sure.

An other dreaming post... by the way what do we do if Graeme Eadie makes a comeback? Oh god this is going to be a loooong off season reading this garbage - arghhh. And yes @Shoe1 there needs to be a Forum maybe titled nonsense and dribblers and they can go for their life on there. Come on March 2023 to help these people and to stop all this crazy stuff. Thankfully I read a post or two in the thread - got the gist it was all nonsense and didn't read any more.

An other dreaming post... by the way what do we do if Graeme Eadie makes a comeback? Oh god this is going to be a loooong off season reading this garbage - arghhh. And yes @Shoe1 there needs to be a Forum maybe titled nonsense and dribblers and they can go for their life on there. Come on March 2023 to help these people and to stop all this crazy stuff. Thankfully I read a post or two in the thread - got the gist it was all nonsense and didn't read any more.
Edit** sorry im was just angry i didn’t mean to be a jackass in this post

What part is dreaming? Signing Niukore, shifting Schuster, letting brisbane or someone snap up taupau (even if we have to pay a bit).

That’s it. Not unrealistic.

Our edges are fine as they are but if we want to shift our premiership window from 2023 to 2022 we could consider putting some defencive second-rowers in place and letting olakautau develop in a simple role (taking out taupau’s clumisness and lack of effort). Getting schuster in a position to play centre to offer offence over parker or harper. That’s my stupid madness irrelevant thinking @Shoe1. Just floating a ****ing idea

Niukore is ****ing great. Schuster/Olakautau are too. Sure ive posted some stupid ****ing ideas over the years but this isn’t one. It doesn’t mean anything.

Our back row was much better this year but their inexperience stopped them being a factor in the finals. Could they get much better in 2022, sure thing. Our forward pack is nearly there but not at the top tier yet. I just floated an idea around trying to get it to that top tier (again, it doesnt mean anything). Taupau was a liability at times (olakautau is great, especially with a simple role). Harper/parker need centre competition. Schuster comes in based off jamie lyon inspo (if he wants to play 5/8 later he’ll need to get fitter, smaller and faster anyways).

I don’t care if an idea is ****. But ive seen far worse and we all know our forwards weren’t premiership standard in the finals series even though they were much improved from 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've overcomplicated it. Haumole is our full-time backrower, he was a top 5 backrower in the whole comp this year, he doesn't move anywhere. Schuster to centre will not work. But I don't mind signing a player like Niukore. My plan would be to move Schuster to 6 ASAP during 2022. He's done his apprenticeship under Foz this year, he had his best game of the year at 6, in our team's best performance against Parra. He is ready. He is our future. We need him at the 6 ASAP.

And with that vacant backrower role he leaves, let Davey, Bullemore and Niukore fight for it, will up the quality of their performances and will only be a benefit to our side. All 3 of them also have the versatility to cover for Marty as a prop. Marty is just on way too much coin. It'll be harsh to let him go after probably his best year with us, but 2 mil on 2 middle forwards is insane. One of them has to go and it's not gonna be Jake.

No doubt about it...you're all class buddy.

You've overcomplicated it. Haumole is our full-time backrower, he was a top 5 backrower in the whole comp this year, he doesn't move anywhere. Schuster to centre will not work. But I don't mind signing a player like Niukore. My plan would be to move Schuster to 6 ASAP during 2022. He's done his apprenticeship under Foz this year, he had his best game of the year at 6, in our team's best performance against Parra. He is ready. He is our future. We need him at the 6 ASAP.

And with that vacant backrower role he leaves, let Davey, Bullemore and Niukore fight for it, will up the quality of their performances and will only be a benefit to our side. All 3 of them also have the versatility to cover for Marty as a prop. Marty is just on way too much coin. It'll be harsh to let him go after probably his best year with us, but 2 mil on 2 middle forwards is insane. One of them has to go and it's not gonna be Jake.
Top of the list for 2022 is Schuster to 5/8 .He is used to been a first receiver of the football so he can do his work on setting up play or for him to run .He did alright at 2nd/row but still looked confused at times on whether he is getting the ball or not . I have mentioned it in one of my earlier posts that the quicker we get him to 5/8 the faster we will win our next flag .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8