Final twist in Suli’s NRL redemption

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
RUGBY league young gun Moses Suli is on the cusp of completing a remarkable NRL redemption story.
Axed by two clubs since Christmas, Suli has been named to make his debut for Manly and return to the NRL on Sunday at Allianz Stadium.

But there’s one last twist in the tale.

The 19-year-old is currently not allowed to play in the NRL as he’s only contracted to the Sea Eagles’ development list.

Promoting him will also mean his salary is officially included in the club’s salary cap. With Darcy Lussick released last month, they should have enough room to accommodate Suli.

0da596d65437465fc744affb2f0e5cc8

Read more at:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/5356a9b3ba1ce5e3ee26474e81d145cb

Our request has been denied by NRL (what a surprise?) Interesting decision Barrett has to make, desperate to sign players before June 30, but very limited cash to spare. Elevating Suli will count towards our already hamstrung salary cap.

Interesting to see if Manly play Suli and include him as one of their 30 NRL squad players or leave him out in the hope of signing a couple of other players.

We tried to have him allowed to play without upgrading him and the NRL apparently ok'd it before he was named today but his contract requires him to be registered in our 30 before he plays FG. A pay rise obviously is required. We were negotiating with his manager today to agree on a price acceptable to both sides.

Bit of a juggle to allow us enough money to possibly sign another player pre june 30(Carney please) AND also use our vacant top 30 spots as best we can.
5 of those top 30 spots are taken up by 3 season-ending injuries, Mr Plod and Darcy.

I have lost track but I think we only have 2 spots available...or is it 3?

It should be 3 with Darcy gone surely.. isn’t that the point of June 30 ?? To manage and make changes to your current top 30? Otherwise what’s the point

The Sea Eagles asked for, and were granted, an exemption to name Suli for the Roosters encounter due to the club’s injury crisis. Under the new contracting rules players outside the top-30 squad can only be considered in exceptional circumstances, a situation that applies to the 19-year-old. At the moment his contract status is as a development player, but the NRL approved the move because there were no fit top-30 contracted players capable of filling in at centre.

Not much of an endorsement for Tom Wright. Currently in the top 30, fit, AND playing centre in reserves. And isn't Funa a centre too ??

Maybe they meant no one capable of playing right centre ?? :wondering:

Could still be a twist in this tale before Sunday. Maybe we'll see that great international quality centre Lewis Brown promoted to dish out some punishment to the Roosters

Not much of an endorsement for Tom Wright. Currently in the top 30, fit, AND playing centre in reserves. And isn't Funa a centre too ??

Maybe it was because of cleverness on our part claiming T Wright has played 5/8 all season up until last week and Funa has similarly played fullback all season.

Maybe we juggled their positions just for this eventuality? Maybe we had a win with the NRL?

I have no idea what is really going on but i'm certain there are machinations going on that would boggle the mind.

If the NRL allows us to sign Carney then we know they are worried we will fold.

All will be revealed...eventually..

So...now that Suli is definitely 'in'...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...suli-set-for-manly-debut-20180502-p4zcvk.html

What are we getting? I watched his highlights reel...impressive stuff. Just watched him in the Blacktown game on the weekend too, and while he didn't have many opportunities to shine (none really), he looked big and very fast. He was also WILLING - came into the centre to get his hands dirty umpteen times. I'm excited...

Oh - that was the other thing. They said during the broadcast on the weekend that he was down to 112kg. Still seems a lot for a centre or winger, but he was carrying it well. And if he's down from what was it, 130kg? Then he's done very well in a short space of time.

Good luck to the young man. Hope he has a blinder and aims up in defence. Otherwise Mitchell will have a field day.

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2