final election considerations!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dancing zorba

Reserve Grader
Just a message to everyone out there for tomorrow! if you're sick of Labor's wasteful spending that causes massive debt increasing at $100 000 000 per day which is set to go up with the introduction of the national broadband network! YOU will foot the bill for this spending for a decade! A labor government WILL introduce a carbon tax that WILL impact negatively on YOUR standards of living! If you want serious action on stopping the boats then the Labor party has no serious plan to set up off shore processing meaning the boats will keep coming! If you want Australia to continue to compete in the global market the nlabor's resources rent tax will assure a collapse of our markets and may cause a mini recession! If you weren't happy with the treatment of Kevin Rudd you must realise that the NSW Labor machine has come to Canberra and Gillard will suffer the same fate as Iemma, Reece and Rudd! If you're sick of being deprived of the life you deserve by an incompetent Labor government then YOU MUST! get rid of your local Labor member and vote 1 The Coalition Tomorrow!!!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY IF YOU WANT FUNDING FOR BROOKIE OVAL LIBERAL IS THE ONLY PARTY WITH A SERIOUS PLEDGE FOR ITS REDEVELOPMENT!!!!

Wow, talking points. Which talkback radio show did you get these off.

"if you're sick of Labor's wasteful spending that causes massive debt increasing at $100 000 000 per day which is set to go up with the introduction of the national broadband network! YOU will foot the bill for this spending for a decade!"
Go have a look at all the other nations that are only just coming out of recession and their debt % of GDP. Have a look at how high the debt was after WW2 and how high it was after the 90s depression.

Also have a look at things like the snowy mountains scheme or the first laying of copper cables for the telephone network.

Im happy to foot the bill because I still have a job, still have low interest on my credit card. PS. NBN will pay for itself and then start generating income.

Also have a look at economics 101 and tell me what your supposed to do when a recession happens.

"A labor government WILL introduce a carbon tax that WILL impact negatively on YOUR standards of living!"
Show me the policy, otherwise this is a flat out lie.

"If you want serious action on stopping the boats then the Labor party has no serious plan to set up off shore processing meaning the boats will keep coming!"
Yes, the 4000 people arriving here per year is such a huge issue... yeah the liberal government will be able to keep it down to 3 per year, right.

"If you want Australia to continue to compete in the global market the nlabor's resources rent tax will assure a collapse of our markets and may cause a mini recession"
Complete bull****. PS, Henry is independent to either political party.

"If you weren't happy with the treatment of Kevin Rudd you must realise that the NSW Labor machine has come to Canberra and Gillard will suffer the same fate as Iemma, Reece and Rudd! "
Psst, you forgot to include Turnbull and Nelson in that list.

"If you're sick of being deprived of the life you deserve by an incompetent Labor government then YOU MUST! get rid of your local Labor member and vote 1 The Coalition Tomorrow!!!"
How has the government deprived you? please enlighten us.

I wouldnt quite call liberals pledge serious, in 3 years see what he comes up with.

*sigh*

The boat issue is a load of s**t, show some compassion.

And the wastefulness was a fair point, but they punted Rudd because of that.

The only PM that didnt back stab someone was Holts successor McEwen.

That kind of makes all your points mute.

Come up with something original next time.

bob dylan link said:

Plenty of PMs have not stabbed a sitting PM in the back, and none have done so to a first term sitting PM.

Rusty link said:
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=184756.msg286237#msg286237 date=1282357032]

Plenty of PMs have not stabbed a sitting PM in the back, and none have done so to a first term sitting PM.
[/quote]

Argh, hanging your hat on the sitting PM. I think we have explained why that happened above.

Here are other PM that stabbed someone in the back.

Rudd stabbed Beasley in the back.

Howard stabbed Downer and Peacock in the back

Keating stabbed Hawke in the back big time.

Hawke stabbed Hayden in the back something dreadful.

It's the nature of the beast.

bob dylan link said:
[quote author=Rusty link=topic=184756.msg286280#msg286280 date=1282372945]
[quote author=bob dylan link=topic=184756.msg286237#msg286237 date=1282357032]

[/quote]

Argh, hanging your hat on the sitting PM. I think we have explained why that happened above.

Here are other PM that stabbed someone in the back.

Rudd stabbed Beasley in the back.

Howard stabbed Downer and Peacock in the back

Keating stabbed Hawke in the back big time.

Hawke stabbed Hayden in the back something dreadful.

It's the nature of the beast.
[/quote]

And in that list Hawke is the only one who was toppled as PM.

There is clearly a difference, and apparently I am not the only to feel so, look at the QLD results, I think a Kevin effect was clearly evident.

Btw : I don't think this is a good reason to vote Lib, or in fact any of the reasons the Libs gave us. I voted Lib because you just can't trust Labor. They will do whatever they need to do to stay in power, living in NSW has taught me that. And with a Greens controlled senate that means a whole lot of bargained away positions all in the name of staying in power.

Remember this was the PM who had at the top of her notes written "Tonight I am addressing you without notes." No one was upset at her for using notes, what people disliked is the fact that she used notes while telling everyone she was not going to use notes.

The thing that sums it all up for me really is when one of my friends who votes Labor and is quite a tech head what he thought of the internet filter he said "Oh they really arn't serious about that." Yet somehow he believed they were serious about the NBN...

See all Labor sell is hope, great if you can get some one who can deliver, but all it is normally is a lot of money spent and in the end no achievement. Now perhaps Julia is the leader they need to move from simply promising to doing, perhaps she is just another in the line of puppets who say whatever is needed, spend what ever is needed and basically take the approach that staying in power is an end and not the means.

Now to the reason I vote Liberal. In politics there are a lot of decisions to be made, some difficult, some unpopular yet required. I for the life of me couldn't see Labor having the backbone to make the hard calls if they cost votes, thats week leadership. The libs have a record of making those hard calls. Even if you don't agree with them you have to admit the Libs have always been less afraid of looking unpopular, ie. Workchoices and GST. Especially in a hung parliament where wrong headed action is going to be harder anyway this is the kind of leadership that is going to be needed.

The truth is we are in a good position financially, the debt is low and we have no reason to worry, but that is no excuse for making the same mistakes the Europeans made and spending money as if we couldn't spend it tomorrow. Frankly the government should run a balanced budget not because we need to but because if we don't then one day the burden will be on our children. And before you point out that our debt is much lower then Greece, the US or the UK then remember they once had this discussion as well, pointed to others that were worse and said it would be fine.

Did you really say it makes your points "mute"...
Umm ok

Rusty, what will the libs do next week after they have made their bad choices?

When you look at the vote breakdown the libs had their best result in Qld and WA, funnily enough the 2 states which are full of mining, get the most GST and basically are in the pocket of the libs.

They may as well change their slogan to rich get richer, poor get poorer.

Fluffy link said:
Rusty, what will the libs do next week after they have made their bad choices?

When you look at the vote breakdown the libs had their best result in Qld and WA, funnily enough the 2 states which are full of mining, get the most GST and basically are in the pocket of the libs.

They may as well change their slogan to rich get richer, poor get poorer.

Fair point.

Certainly this election has thrown up a huge number of concerns for each party, you would think that Labor has the worst of it however.

Try to put yourself in Gillards shoes, do you try to form a government, thus remaining prime minister or go into opposition and try to work your way back.

Opposition seems to be out because the party will implode and Gillard would lose her job.

But then Government looks not much better, at least half of her promises will be undeliverable, and those that are the greens will take credit for bleeding off even more of the vote. Plus Abbott seems to have an aura now, truth be told he is going to look a lot like the PM even if he is sitting on the cross benches.

The third option? Go to another election. Not good either, some of the losses that Labor endured are irreversible, Longman, Hasluck (If it falls), Bennalong, Gilmore, Melbourne these are seats where another election would only take these seats further from the partys reach. Liberals would have a heap more money now that business leaders see that they can win the purse strings will open up. Keneallys behaviour on election night will hurt here in NSW and you can bet that the Central Coast seats of Robinson and Dobel and the seat of Lindsay will be likely to fall given the backlash that is happening in those regions with voters angry that the greens have put unpopular labor members in. Also Labor would lose the seat of Greynandler in the CBD to the greens as the GetUp! machine moves its focus from melbourne.

The best option for Labor seems to be the same option they have used so far - wait and hope Abbott implodes. So far this has failed, and it is looking increasing unlikely, certainly he is looking surprisingly stable and solid. The last day the GG could possibly use to ask either leaders to test their numbers before the house would be the 27th of Oct, a long time for a caretaker government but perhaps its Labors only option.

Fluffy as to your question, certainly there is a disconnect between the coalition and the average voter, they look like the party of the rich at the moment and if I were leader they certainly would not. I am not a single minded Lib supporter, while I tend to be center right in my outlook I have a set of values on which I am very very clear, the parties compete for my vote. Its just that Labor in the last decade or so has fallen well short of my standards in so many areas.

The libs are far from perfect, one huge issue as you suggest is the appeal to the working class. This I fear is because the party has looked to promise nothing but good government, they have lost the aspirational aspect of their message that was evident in Howards years. Perhaps this is something Abbott will develop as he grows into the leadership. Who knows.

Gillard may not be the leader at the next election which will likely end the Victorian/SA problem which effectively denied an outright majority. The risk then is that these progressive states will then tend even further left and the greens vote will increase which would be a huge problem for labor as they are looking increasingly like they will always need the greens to govern in the future. Labor governments will look a lot more left leaning under such a relationship, ceding the middle ground to the Libs, possibly creating a generation in opposition. If Abbott is or is not the best leader to take advantage of such a situation is a valid consideration, perhaps Turnbull would be more suitable.

Enjoy reading your thoughts Rusty.

It sure is interesting times, one can only wonder what a washed up Rudd vs a rather pompous Turnbull election would of thrown up.

A (applaud) thumbs up for the great effort in your replies.

Any election after next March might not be a bad thing in NSW. The disgraceful state Labor government will be replaced by a disgraceful State Liberal one, though that will take time to become evident.

There won't be as much heat on Federal Labor and the Rudd thing will become a thing of the past.

There are a lot of permutations on this one yet to come.

Most minority state governments who have made it through the full term have been rewarded with a big majority at the following election.  If whoever gets in can hold it together, they will do well at a 2013 election. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2