Favourite Seaeagles 1980 - NOW

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
A bit random but have been watching some old Classic games on FOX & had so many players I idolised as a kid & then a big kid between 1980 - 2014.
This Manly / Roosters 1997 reminded me of the underrated gun centre Craig Innes who palmed off Matt Sing with a ripper to score THE try to get Manly on top after trailing 18-0....also loved that backrow - Menzies, Gartner & Kosef.
Toovey simply outstanding.
Others include old 1987 favourites Rambo Gibbs & possibly my top rated front rower ever - big Kevin Ward.
So many others like Cliffy & Snoz O'conner.
Keen to hear some players Silvertails on here have had as their favourites in this period....& just for the record, favourites today would include B Stewart , Matai & Watmough.

So many to choose from, but Cliffy, Beaver and Tooves are my fave past players and Foz, Snake and Matai my fave current.

Way too many awesome Manly players to choose from.

Former player - Cliffy
Current - Snake

Honourable mentions would take too long to type.
Go Manly!

Wow, where to start. Was a big fan of Phil Blake and Cliffy. Loved Beaver and Ridge. Killer and Matai my favs in modern times.

Special mention to Wombat and Cement

G'day all,It's a bit like trying to name the best so many to choose from but for what its worth I would say
1-Terry Randall even if he was towards the end of his career loved the way he played the game.
2-Steve Menzies should be an alltime great of the nrl and takes my vote as our clubs greatest.
cheers mike

I would like to hear the the unsung player you loved

For me it started with David the mule Hoskings, john jug head jones and even mal cochrane (although he did win a rothmans I think)

This then lead to players like frank stokes, Anthony emu Rodgers , Dave o'donnell...Owen Cunningham

There can't be one, it can only be a team choice because there's waaaaayyyy too many to pick just one.

And by the way why 1980??

But if there has to be one......the great Igor, the one and only T Randall, our greatest ever forward (sorry Beaver).

Igor and Frog Eyes were the original favourites,

Then Phil Blake.

Of course Cliffy and Beaver are absolute legends, what's not to like there.

Current fave would be Skivvi, dead set warrior that man.

1. Jamie Lyon (he was the missing piece in the puzzle, and he had his doubters, he 'won' the most overrated player gong back in 07....how pathetic that award looks now. A great player, a great captain, and above all a great ambassador for Manly.
2. Ben Kennedy (I heard joey johns on the footy show saying that the raiders need to do what Manly did in 05, buy a player like BK so others will follow. He gave me hope in our team which quite frankly i'd lost for a few years.....his arrival signaled semi finals/finals around the corner. He was truly a colossus for the 05/06 team.)
3. Phil Blake (just brilliant.....not much else can be said, just a joy for a child to watch...I practiced chip kicks for years!)
4. Tooves (the hardest toughest little winner this club has ever seen, and still continues to be so!)
5. Beaver (just has to be in a top 5 or whatever. Even when getting slaughtered in the early 2000s you could say 'yeh but we've got Steve Menzies, so blow that out your &&&&!'

Mark from Brisbane said:
There can't be one, it can only be a team choice because there's waaaaayyyy too many to pick just one.

And by the way why 1980??

But if there has to be one......the great Igor, the one and only T Randall, our greatest ever forward (sorry Beaver).

Yeah, Randall first no one else even close.

Current players I like Lyon, Brett, Glenn, Stevie an Ballin.

My favourites weren't necessarily the best players, eg Cliffy who was a genius but for most of his career had plenty of errors as well, and ... Hoppa snr! (did blot his copybook later in life but I put that down to Terry Lamb's influence)

Chip and Chase said:
Igor and Frog Eyes were the original favourites,

Then Phil Blake.

Of course Cliffy and Beaver are absolute legends, what's not to like there.

Current fave would be Skivvi, dead set warrior that man.

I see what you did there...

Glad to see a lot of love for Phil Blake around these parts.

Burst into 1st grade when I was 7 or 8 and just starting to realise I could pick my own team instead of following whoever Dad followed - and I did and I've never regretted it, and Phil was the bloke that started all of that. Will never be replaced as my favourite player of all time.

(so much so I even bought a Warriors jersey when he played for them - the old DB Bitter one - was only ever because of Phil though, I bleed Maroon and White)

I personally have had a few Manly favourites since I started supporting them in 1982.

Fatty, Rowdy, Cliffy, Marty Bella, Tooves, Des (yeah, I know....but as a player I was a fan), Ridgey, Garts, Nik Kosef, Snake, Killer, Kingy, Skivvy, Choc, Gifty, Robbo, Kitey, Jorge....

But my all time favourite Sea Eagle is and always will be The Beaver, closely followed by Snake and Tooves.

When going through those lean years a few years ago, Ben Kennedy was outstanding. He showed and taught our young blokes quite a bit and carried the team at times.

I don't think J Hoppa got enough credit during those years either. Before his final brain snap, Hop was bloody good for us. From memory, I think he was averaging a couple of hundred meters gained each game. He was really putting in for the team.

Very hard to go past Beaver as my all time favourite though.

Special mention for Steve Matai. Very tough, intimidating and skilful.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8