Favourite Memories

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
56-0 seemed to be a good time to make a thread about the moments that really stick in your mind from your time supporting Manly.

Are a few for me

1 of my earliest is Manly beating Wests 66-8 in around 1994, Cliffy had a blinder and it is one game I would love to see again

Was a game in 95, top of the table clash v Canberra at Brookvale. Hopoate scored 3 tries, and could hear 1 of the neighbours who supported the Raiders yelling at Hoppa

1995, Qualifying final v Newcastle, Toovey drifts sideways and turns an inside ball to Lyons who scored and was sliding through the ingoal with a massive smile waving his finger at the crowd. We made the Grand Final and i was on my way to it

Around 2002-3 i think it was, v the Dragons at Brookvale, 2 points in it and in the final seconds Dragons make a break and Cooper was flying into the corner, game was gone, then Menzies came out of nowhere and put him out in the corner to save the game.
also the other game v Dragons when Menzies scored from a Ferris kick on the siren to win the match

Have this really vague memory of Frank Stokes finishing off an amazing try v the Raiders, was 1 of my early favourite players.

Semi Final v Sharks i think maybe in 95 or 96? Behind with not long left and cliffy scores to win the match.

05 and 06 v Panthers at Brooky. 2 massive come from behind games.

98 v Broncos at Brooky. Hill in the corner to make it 24-26.......Reeves converts from the sideline to top off a remarkable come back from 4-26

Rd 24, 1999. Not my favourite, but a very exciting memory.
After the Broncos were leading something like 26-6 with half an hour to go, Manly got back to 26-20 with a few minutes left.
Out of nowhere Terry Hill makes a huge line break, pushing off Gorden Tallis and out-running Michael Devere? 50 metres to the try line to only just make it in the corner.
26-24 with a minute to go, Brendon Reeves kicks it from the touch line and we draw.

Remember guys who I used to support when reading this:-

I remember one Saturday or Sunday afternoon many many years ago (mid 90's sometime), it was Manly versus Illawarra Steelers @ Brookvale Oval.

Manly were winning the whole game, and wearing my Bears jersey as I would, I was copping HELL from those on the Hill.

The game was what most people thought gone, with another Manly victory in her sites.

Illawarra though scored with 2 minutes to go, but none of the Manly faithfull cared, because Manly was up by 8. No-one can come back in that time.......

That was until Rod Wishart grabbed the ball at full pace on the wing, fumbling it, but just holding onto the ball. He put a fend on Jack Elsegood I think it was back then, to brush away from him an score after the siren.

As one would do at this stage, I jumped up, and let out an almighty howl of enjoyment, to turn around, and see probably 6000 people staring at me, gutted.

1st came an empty paper cup. Then a magazine of some sort. Next thing I knew I was mobbed by about 6-10 Manly fans, who all jumped on me, punching away (softly). The crowd all had a good laugh, and it was all in fun.

LoL.

Now I sit on the OTHER side of the fence !!!

But kuados to the Manly fans who kept it fun when all and sundry should have been gutted. Manly were probably 10+ points in front of the rest of the teams on the ladder anyway...

Hehehehehe.

Kiwi - the 95 game where we beat Canberra was in Canberra. Hoppa scored three tries, two of them length of the field jobs and the ohter from an OJ break. We had two players sinbinned at the same time but beat them 16 - 8.

Matt - 95 semi against Sharks had Cliffy intercept and then give it to Hancock to score to win the game, though Nevin had to withstand a bomb on the line in the last seconds to get that one up. Solo had earlier run through about 5 defenders to get us close.

To my memories: 87 v Tigers at Brookie - we killed them and Ron Gibbs scored a fabulous try. That year OConnor and Shearer tore the Sharks apart at Brookie. Gibbs scored a Gearin-type try against Souths,

Too many memories to mention them all but the 2005 comeback against Penrith at Brookie was one of the best ever.

The 1994 rout of St George 61 - 0 was also very special!!!

Cheers CW, thanx for the correction

I remember sitting up late and watching that game Ryan, He ran the ball round round to under the pins

Still awaiting Matas arrival with the date Monaghan confirmed his move to Warrington ;)

Remember guys who I used to support when reading this:-

I remember one Saturday or Sunday afternoon many many years ago (mid 90's sometime), it was Manly versus Illawarra Steelers @ Brookvale Oval.

Manly were winning the whole game, and wearing my Bears jersey as I would, I was copping HELL from those on the Hill.

The game was what most people thought gone, with another Manly victory in her sites.

Illawarra though scored with 2 minutes to go, but none of the Manly faithfull cared, because Manly was up by 8. No-one can come back in that time.......

That was until Rod Wishart grabbed the ball at full pace on the wing, fumbling it, but just holding onto the ball. He put a fend on Jack Elsegood I think it was back then, to brush away from him an score after the siren.

As one would do at this stage, I jumped up, and let out an almighty howl of enjoyment, to turn around, and see probably 6000 people staring at me, gutted.

1st came an empty paper cup. Then a magazine of some sort. Next thing I knew I was mobbed by about 6-10 Manly fans, who all jumped on me, punching away (softly). The crowd all had a good laugh, and it was all in fun.

LoL.

Now I sit on the OTHER side of the fence !!!

But kuados to the Manly fans who kept it fun when all and sundry should have been gutted. Manly were probably 10+ points in front of the rest of the teams on the ladder anyway...

Hehehehehe.
So People have been giving you heaps for years Ryan. we didn't start it. ;)

I was as proud a Bears supporter those years ago as I am a Manly supporter today.

The only difference between supporting Manly and The Bears is that Manly has, and CAN win a premiership !!

Also - the fans are much more fanatical.....but that's probably because we are more now in the Internet age, and it wasn't such a big thing when The Bears were around.

I also think there is a much, MUCH more diverse group of people supporting Manly.

Manly v Parra 1988 we won 64-12 I think after being down 0-12 early -great game- loved smashing Parra

I also remember 1978 when Manly had to play three games in a week due to a mid-week playoff against Parra. Players who could hardly walk had to front up against a Fresh Wests team in the Final and with some brilliance from Alan Thompson we managed to snare the win. Somehow we backed up in the Grand Final - it was a draw against the Sharks and then three days later on a Wednesday (due to Kangaroo tour) we came out and put them out of their misery with Eadie and Frog Eyes Gartner cutting them to pieces. We earnt that premiership

I had been a Manly supporter for nearly 20 years before I finally got to view them live at Brookvale in 2003.

It was the NRL's first ever golden point game where we beat the slime with a Ben Walker penalty kick. It was the highlight of an otherwise very grim season.

Manly v Parra 1988 we won 64-12 I think after being down 0-12 early -great game- loved smashing Parra
We threw away the 1988 Premiership when we took Wests lightly in the mud at Orana Park.

I had been a Manly supporter for nearly 20 years before I finally got to view them live at Brookvale in 2003.

It was the NRL's first ever golden point game where we beat the slime with a Ben Walker penalty kick. It was the highlight of an otherwise very grim season.

I was sitting comfortable in the corporate box that day. :D

My earliest memory was the first game the old man took me to when I was 7 years old, in 1977!
We played the Jets at Brookvale and beat them 50 - 2.
I just looked up the stats then but I clearly remember the game.
Late in the game one of the Jet's forwards busted through the Manly pack and made a huge run down the field only to be caught just short by one of our backs.
It was the closest Newtown went to scoring a try that day and I felt sorry for them.

Now 30 years later....last game I went to was in Canberra this year, we scored heaps of tries, including Jamie Lyon's flick back over the dead ball line, the Raiders fans were really cool, had a great time... :blah:

87 Gf still my favourite memory. My first live NSWRL GF and the last one at the SCG and a Manly win.

Phil Blake scoring 27 tries in one season was a highlight. Always loved his chip and regathers.

Having Beaver with us now probably takes some of the gloss off 'memories' but he is without doubt one of the club's all-time greats. Enjoy the time we have left.

Wombat is another special memory but once again we seem to have another great one in Snake. At least many generations will enjoy some top fullback play.

I was at the 87 GF. I think all the games that season were fantastic, particularly against the Tiges at Brookie and the tough semi against the chooks.

Best thing I saw live was the 61-0 win, with my brother (a saints Fan) and his mate. To top off a fantastic as my brother tried to make a quick get away his car broke down outside the front of Brookie…..meaning 15,000 fans could give him stick over the result!

Best thing I saw live was the 61-0 win, with my brother (a saints Fan) and his mate. To top off a fantastic as my brother tried to make a quick get away his car broke down outside the front of Brookie…..meaning 15,000 fans could give him stick over the result!
And that afternoon the Spit Bridge was up for an extended time as well, meaning that the St G fans had to sit at Seaforth for half an hour copping stick and beinig made to wait. A perfect end to the afternoon for them!!!! :lol: :lol:

All of those moments spring to mind. Good stuff.

The most enjoyable game I watched live was a Manly v South’s game 3 years ago at NSO. It was great because it wasn't long after this site started. Many of the AE guys attended and it was an absolute one line fest, carving up the South’s supporters. It was also the un veiling of the Jye Mullane stand.....

Happy Dayz. :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4