Fainu Bros sign with Tigers.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There’s no way the two Fainu’s are worth $4mill over 4 years, however, it’s likely to be heavily backloaded and the Tigers are hoping in 2 or 3 years they’ll get value.

Both were in our Top 30, so that opens up a space for Lodge and maybe a good backline replacement. I wouldn’t be surprised if Tommy is announced as joining us immediately, or a surprising fullback.

Unfortunately, any surprise purchases I fear are too late, unless RTS suddenly appears.

I’m sure there’s a strategy we are completely unaware of.

Last edited:
Had the club pinned its hopes on all the young players they’ve let go or was it simply manager & media speculation/beat up?

Sione Fainu, Tuitavake & Fifita still haven’t played first grade at the 2 clubs coming 16th & 17th.

Suli was a dud.

Feledy was let go a few years ago now & is still under 19.

Can you imagine how much it would have cost the club to keep those 5 players happily at Manly all these years & the impact it would have had on our salary cap?

Surely as soon as a player receives an upgrade he has to be included in the top 30?

Meanwhile Manly have kept Saab, Olakau’atu, Schuster & GCKT.
Fantastic points mate. As unhappy as I am, you've pointed out that balance is key.

Tigers fans on Twitter see this as a huge win for them and a huge loss for us.

A lot of them want them to atart immediately and they will give us Talau.

The downward spiral bus has well and truly started.
Tigers fans on twitter probably thought they were in for a big season on the back of Api, Bateman and Papalii coming on board …

Manly fans on twitter 3 years ago wanted the club burned the ground with reports Schuster was leaving, now Manly fans on twitter want Schuster burned at the stake …

This is not a criticism or judgement of others, more an observation and something to consider…

How many of us are basing our disappointment on what we’ve actually seen of these two, as opposed to what we’ve read? It’s not like SG Ball and Matts are televised. It’s not like Cup is consistently televised, nor is it consistently played before the games most of watch at the grounds each week?

How many of us have seen these guys plays hours of football at any level, let alone the elite level? Sammy’s played all of about 120 minutes of FG.

But we read the articles about Latu’s richest deal ever and the papers told us how good they are going to be, so it must be true, right?

I’m not suggesting they won’t or can’t be great players and I’m not suggesting Sammy didn’t show promise in his short stay in firsts…I’m just wondering if we really know enough about them to make a fair and informed judgement on the decision to let them walk.

2 sides to a story
The boys wanted to stay at Manly and definitely appreciated support in dark times from the club.
Very unhappy and confused by many things, footy related with requests to hit unrealistic playing weights in unrealistic time and told were not in immediate plans moving forward, which is what is expected with the Brooks signing - instant results.
Then there was Samuela getting dropped back to NSW cup when he was 1 of the only decent forwards in a badly beaten team, which seemed strange...and was.
They felt very unwanted and were offered to other clubs.
They wanted to stay, but this would make any normal person in any job feel forced to look elsewhere.
It was not a money thing....they did not go test the market, they were told to....they were Sold out to help build an overnight winning roster and hopefully we do improve to a contender overnight....also there will be at 1 more "good" signing yet for 2024.
Money is often the catalyst of the problem, but this situation involves far more than that and I wish the Fainu boys all the best for the future....

2 sides to a story
The boys wanted to stay at Manly and definitely appreciated support in dark times from the club.
Very unhappy and confused by many things, footy related with requests to hit unrealistic playing weights in unrealistic time and told were not in immediate plans moving forward, which is what is expected with the Brooks signing - instant results.
Then there was Samuela getting dropped back to NSW cup when he was 1 of the only decent forwards in a badly beaten team, which seemed strange...and was.
They wanted to stay, but this would make any normal person in any job feel forced to look elsewhere.
It was not a money thing....they did not go test the market, they were told to....they were Sold out to help build an overnight winning roster and hopefully we do improve to a contender overnight....also there will be at 1 more "good" signing yet for 2024.
Money is often the catalyst of the problem, but this situation involves far more than that and I wish the Fainu boys all the best for the future....
Appreciate your insights mate.a real shame that some of the logs could not have been sold off though.

2 sides to a story
When mentioning player weights, were they wanting them to put on size quickly ? That is always a slow process

Not in immediate plans is fair enough, for Latu anyway

I feel like Samuela is a pawn in the Latu overall game tbh, if he was at the club on his own, we probably retain him, but they are being done as a package. Looks to me they have been stuck in the middle of 2 different sets of management with different philosophies

When you mention good signing, do you have any other info on it ? Might have to dig out the Moses player list and have a browse

I hope the club learns from this.

They stood by Manase for years. And the first chance his brothers get to grab a bit of extra coin, they're off like a shot.

As others have said though, it's only potential. And as they say, potential and $5 will get you a cup of coffee.
From the outside, it appears that in the past there was an institutional loss of memory within the club.

Example: the club supported John Hopoate, particularly after the Digigate episode at the Tigers in 2001 (possibly with an eye on the footballing future as John and his wife are apparently unaware of birth control) and where did it leave them?

Hoppa’s career ended prematurely and the two ‘good sons’ to date took off elsewhere, whilst another brother is cut from the same ratbag cloth as the father.

So maybe the Strovster is thinking ‘enough already!’ with these extendo-families and their demands.

This is not a criticism or judgement of others, more an observation and something to consider…

How many of us are basing our disappointment on what we’ve actually seen of these two, as opposed to what we’ve read? It’s not like SG Ball and Matts are televised. It’s not like Cup is consistently televised, nor is it consistently played before the games most of watch at the grounds each week?

How many of us have seen these guys plays hours of football at any level, let alone the elite level? Sammy’s played all of about 120 minutes of FG.

But we read the articles about Latu’s richest deal ever and the papers told us how good they are going to be, so it must be true, right?

I’m not suggesting they won’t or can’t be great players and I’m not suggesting Sammy didn’t show promise in his short stay in firsts…I’m just wondering if we really know enough about them to make a fair and informed judgement on the decision to let them walk.
110% nailed it !!

Many on here are saying it’s the end of the world.

**** me dead , two kids with potential , yes sad they’re moved on , but it’s just the game these days , chasing the big $$$

2 sides to a story
That is indeed the narrative that pulls on the heart strings , and is one side of the story BUT, what makes this THE truth.

Equally , the manager could say “ you guys could be , should he , on much bigger dollars , how about we ruffle a few feathers and see what happens”.

The kids are confused , they are only kids, but that’s why you have a manager, they want to stay but want the big $$$.

I really do NOT get the forced out deal ( sorry that’s the narrative they’ve been told to say ).

This is about testing the market , Manly didn’t want to play ball.

Opinion only of course , but another possible ( and more likely ) side to this story.

2 sides to a story
Respectfully, the two sides to the story thing is limited. Even Latu's and Sammy's side will be slightly different. Then there's Tony's side, Seib's side. Tartak's side, Fulton's side.

I'm assuming you're none of those people, are you a sponsor? Tartak's gardener? Seib's wife?

Whoever feeds you the information clearly has their own agenda. Always.

Thanks for your perspective though Maxta!

2 sides to a story

Some interesting points here @maxta Many of them straight out of the Tartak narrative that has been regurgitated on here ad infinitum. The key point that is missing though, is that Tartak asked for the upgrades.....after that was refused he was given permission to negotiate with other clubs. Only the Tigers were prepared to pay the money that Tartak demanded. I understand that no other club had any serious interest in paying anywhere near this amount based on potential alone. Mestrov had the same opinion.

Last edited:
That is indeed the narrative that pulls on the heart strings , and is one side of the story BUT, what makes this THE truth.

Equally , the manager could say “ you guys could be , should he , on much bigger dollars , how about we ruffle a few feathers and see what happens”.

The kids are confused , they are only kids, but that’s why you have a manager, they want to stay but want the big $$$.

I really do NOT get the forced out deal ( sorry that’s the narrative they’ve been told to say ).

This is about testing the market , Manly didn’t want to play ball.

Opinion only of course , but another possible ( and more likely ) side to this story.
I get where your going Mark, but speak in fact what happened in this situation, not to make the manager as an angel and simply tried to post from the player's perspective and I tell you 100%, they wanted to stay....initially

Some interesting points here @maxta Many of them straight out of the Tartak narrative that has been regurgitated on here ad infinitum. The key point that is missing though, is that Tartak asked for the upgrades.....after that was refused he was given permission to negotiate with other clubs. Only the Tigers were prepared to pay the money that Tartak demanded. I understand that no other club had any serious interest in paying anywhere near this amount based on potential alone. Mestrov had the same opinion.
Personally not a Tartak fan 1 way or the other, met him rarely and only have ties with 1 manager who is a mate of 25 years, so not the impression I aimed for, more from the Fainu perspective

Narrative =Spin

And boy there’s been some spin on this story , from all sides.

It’s why , when I make an opinion , I think about what the reality is , or likely to be.

I forget the fluff.

Great example of this follows,

AFB left because he wanted to get out of Sydney 😂😂😂😂😂

Reality , ALL about the big $$$$

I get where your going Mark, but speak in fact what happened in this situation, not to make the manager as an angel and simply tried to post from the player's perspective and I tell you 100%, they wanted to stay....initially
Of course they wanted to stay , don’t doubt that , and I’ve said that BUT ultimately it’s about the $$$$.

They had contracts , they COULD have stayed , they didn’t , and WHY??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree with you @maxta Yes the boys wanted to stay. They wanted to stay for the money that Tartak had requested for both of them in upgrades. That didn't happen as Mestrov wouldn't play Tartak's game. They got their money at the Tigers. They left. End of story.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8