Extra-time rule gets boot, but McIntyre system likely to linger

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
THE National Rugby League is set to change the extra-time rules for finals games next season, but it is still up in the air whether the McIntyre finals system will be retained or dumped in favour of a return to the system the AFL uses.
The league announced at the end of its annual conference yesterday it had formed a competition committee to review next year's finals series structure, extra time in finals games, player safety issues arising from new playing trends - including the controversial ''cannonball'' tackle - and any other suggestions related to match rules that are put forward by clubs.
The NRL asked the clubs for feedback on these issues two weeks ahead of the conference, and the committee is designed to discuss whatever matters the clubs consider to be priorities and make recommendations to the league. The NRL's independent commission will also have a say when it is finally in place, most likely by mid-December.

The Herald has learnt there is solid backing from the clubs for a change to the extra-time rules for the finals, largely as a result of the finals game between Brisbane and St George Illawarra last season, when Darren Lockyer kicked a field goal in the second minute of golden-point extra time to give the Broncos a thrilling 13-12 win.
It is felt finals games are too important to be decided so simply, and that teams should battle over a longer period before a golden-point extra time period comes into play - if there is not already a result.
The likelihood is that extra time in finals will begin with a guaranteed period, possibly five minutes each way, before the situation reverts to golden-point extra time if the scoring is still deadlocked.
There is almost annual debate over whether the McIntyre system should be replaced by the system that splits the top four teams from the bottom four in the first week of the finals. It has always survived, despite calls for it to be abandoned, but this time the push is likely to be stronger than ever.
The Herald understands that while some clubs would like to see the McIntyre system scrapped, there are others that are not fussed either way. It is known that the independent commission believes it is worth discussing.
The competition committee will comprise State of Origin coaches Ricky Stuart and Mal Meninga, former NRL coaches Daniel Anderson and John Lang, former NRL players Andrew Ryan and Trent Barrett, and the NRL director of football operations, Nathan McGuirk. Two current NRL coaches will also be appointed to the committee, and the NRL referees' coaches Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper will advise on rules.
It is possible decisions on the finals system and extra time could be made this month, but since nothing would be final until the independent commission is in place decisions could be delayed until January.
''The process has begun with the clubs providing direct feedback,'' McGuirk said yesterday. ''The competition committee will be finalised shortly and will get together for the first time in the next seven to 10 days, when the feedback from the clubs will be considered.''
NRL chief executive David Gallop said one of the game's greatest strengths was its capacity to evolve, adding: ''There is little doubt that we are seeing the closest and the most skillful competitions in the game's history and we want to ensure that we are constantly monitoring and evaluating the way the game is played.''

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/extratime-rule-gets-boot-but-mcintyre-system-likely-to-linger-20111130-1o75u.html

I like the idea of extra time in the finals. Not to fussed about the finals system, would be happy which ever one they chose. At least they are finally looking at some good changes.

Like to see golden point replaced with extra time so they play out the extra 10 monsoon both teams have an equal chance

The afl finals system has its negatives as well. The top 2 teams have to play tough matches to advance to the third week instead of playing the easier teams that snuck in. It'd be ok if I spose if Sydney teams got to use their own home ground. Wed get no advantage at all finishing 1st.

Scrap golden point for regular season games I reckon and just have a drawer.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Like to see golden point replaced with extra time so they play out the extra 10 monsoon both teams have an equal chance

I'm guessing that'll only happen if they move all finals matches to Dairy Farmers Stadium.

Berks, why have you stopped submitting these as articles?

Pablo said:
Scrap golden point for regular season games I reckon and just have a drawer.

Agreed, much fairer during the regular season for teams to walk away with 1 point each after being level once 80 minutes is up. Was kinda funny though seeing Parra continually lose games this year during golden point.

If a draw at full time of reg season both teams get one point and the extra time is for a "third" point. Finals- extra time first try wins.
The more finals games the more money for the NRL so they won't be any less finals games. personally i think that having 50% of the teams in the finals is too much.

yeah i like that idea ..The teams have made it this far why not see who has the stamina to be the deserved winners..

Anyway field goal attempts should only be allowed in the final minute either half of golden point in my opinion .. :argue: & don`t even call it golden point..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4