Explain yourself judiciary??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Sure the Watmough tackle went wrong, and though a SOO game where the judiciary is usually kept out of it barring a broken jaw....4 weeks is extra steep...
What really pi""es me off is the fact Reynolds done a replica of this tackle and it was all swept aside!!
There have been several incidents that have been of equal in the 1st 2 games and imo the cheap shot by Papalli in Gallens back was far more deliberate and dangerous but was laughed off as it was in the SOO arena....
Enjoy the SOO and dont like holding up the victim card but this is inconsistent and an error by a judiciary who has always stuck its head in the sand....till now!!

Agreed Maxta. The inconsistencies are astonishing to say the least.

Do we have grounds for appeal, or was that basically all dealt with last night?

Does anybody know the maximum suspension ever handed down for an incident occurring in an Origin game? I reckon 4 weeks would be in the top 5.

MadMarcus said:
Does anybody know the maximum suspension ever handed down for an incident occurring in an Origin game? I reckon 4 weeks would be in the top 5.

Les Boyd got 12 months for breaking Darryl Brohman's jaw.
Choc shouldn't have fought the charge. He should have done what Reynolds did, and just challenged the grading.

Referee Barry Gomersall did not send Boyd off and only gave Qld a penalty.

Boyd was not cited by the NSWRL over the incident and was actually selected in the Australian team for the New Zealand test but was forced to step down when Charlie Gibson, the Secretary of Brohman's club team Penrith, officially cited him.

Many, including NSW coach Ted Glossop who appeared at the judiciary on Boyd's behalf, believe he was unfairly dealt with by the judiciary headed by lawyer Jim Comans who suspended the Manly forward for 12 months.

MadMarcus said:

Les Boyd got 12 months for his elbow that broke Daryl Brohman's jaw during Game 1 of the 1983 series.

@HappilyManly is 100% correct. It was Penrith's secretary who cited Boyd. The QRL, NSWRL and ARL were prepared to let it go (as evidenced by Boyd's selection for the first test against NZ played 4 days after the Origin game) but Gibson wasn't happy that Penrith basically lost Brohman for the year due to his broken jaw. It was Boyd's Manly team mate Dave Brown who was the beneficiary as he made his test debut at Carlaw Park in the spot that was allegedly Brohman's before the injury.

From what I have read in the book "Winfield State of Origin" by Brett Harris (1991), people like Ted Glossop felt that Comans basically took the opportunity to make Boyd his poster boy for stamping out violence in the game and that Les was unfairly treated.

For Choc to get 4 weeks and Reynolds get none is a little bewildering to me, but to be honest the whole judiciary seems to have that effect on me.

bones said:
Choc shouldn't have fought the charge. He should have done what Reynolds did, and just challenged the grading.

I was under the impression that that was exactly that he was doing. An article in yesterday's online Manly Daily said that:

"Watmough elected to take the early guilty plea, but disputed the severity of the grading, believing it was a grade one offence."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/watmough-fighting-to-play-in-origin-iii/story-fngr8iii-1226960309647

It looks like the Manly loading was kept and the fact that he wasn't one of Greenturd's favorite Bulldog players. :mad:

"That'll teach those effing Silvertails !. How dare they question our beautiful popular rulings and gradings ?. Those pesky glory seeking pretty boy players like Choc Whatmough and Daly Cherry Cake. That'll teach'em - make an example of them. Hate their "says it all" tattoos."

BRING ON OCTOBER 5 ! :idea::D

NSW and Manly back-rower Anthony Watmough is out of the final State of Origin clash on July 9 after failing to have his grade-two dangerous throw charge reduced at the NRL judiciary on Thursday.

The three-man panel of Don McKinnon, Paul Whatuira and Bob Lindner upheld the grading at Rugby League Central and Watmough will miss four matches.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/anthony-watmough-loses-dangerous-throw-appeal-out-of-final-state-of-origin-20140619-zsfg0.html#ixzz359Pgn9gd

Didn't fight the charge, he contested the grading

Why did Watmough challenge it? he would have only copped 2 weeks but cause he wanted to play origin. Players should have more loyalty to their clubs.

The judiciary pick and choose when they act like a judiciary. It almost depends what direction the wind is blowing on that day....or what club you're affiliated with.

I would hate to have my immediate playing career depend on a decision by those three ironstines.

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/geoff-toovey-fumes-at-nswrl-for-leaving-sea-eagles-stranded-at-anthony-watmough-judiciary-hearing/story-e6frf3ru-1226961301640

2v just on Fox Sports News, fuming that the NSWRL did not even contact Manly, let alone offer support at the Judiciary for Choc :mad:

Clubs bear the legal costs and the unavailability of their Stars :dodgy:

I agree the judiciary has always been generally lenient when it comes to origin but also consistently inconsistent.

The leniency is aided by the mid-week post-game media coverage (rightly) being focussed on the result with charges laid immediately after the game before the Sunday Footy Show and weekend papers can set any agendas and often incidents are just forgotten in all the hype.

As for the "Manly loading", I'm pretty sure fans of most teams have similar theories (maybe not the dogs) and can point out numerous unfair examples, due to the chronic inconsistency.

We have just been the most recent to cop it with:
- Reynolds 0 games cleared to play against Manly
- Kasiano No charge after illegally taking out DCE
- Choc 4 games for a tackle very similar to Reynolds'

This may seem to confirm the Manly loading but while I'm certain we don't get any favours we have not been screwed as much as we could have been if the loading really existed.

I remember being certain we would lose Skivvy and Tdog for the 2011 GF. Not because they in any way deserved to be cited, but because I believed in the conspiracy. I think one got no charge and the other no games. If someone wanted to screw us and have the support of the rest of the league world in the process, that was their opportunity.

In saying all that, I have to admit I can't think of too many recent favorable decosions and there is DEFINITELY a Matai loading!

I may be wrong (and I'm sure the NRL would say its not this way) but it seems to me that now the Origin series has been won its not imperative that the best players are available so now the NRL is cracking down on lifting tackles again.

I'd like to know why there have been about 5 players in the last few weeks who have been placed on report for dangerous tackles and all of them have their charges downgraded and none faced suspension. Yet now Origin has been won a player suddenly gets suspended for 4 games for a tackle that was in no way worse than any of those that came before.

Why all of a sudden? Forgetting that it was a Manly player.

I'm not saying Choc did nothing wrong. He did lift Myles with one hand between the legs so technically what he did was illegal. But it smells very fishy that he gets 4 games for that when most would agree that Reynolds tackle on Tate was far worse and he escaped suspension.

Brookie Brawler said:
I agree the judiciary has always been generally lenient when it comes to origin but also consistently inconsistent.

The leniency is aided by the mid-week post-game media coverage (rightly) being focussed on the result with charges laid immediately after the game before the Sunday Footy Show and weekend papers can set any agendas and often incidents are just forgotten in all the hype.

As for the "Manly loading", I'm pretty sure fans of most teams have similar theories (maybe not the dogs) and can point out numerous unfair examples, due to the chronic inconsistency.

We have just been the most recent to cop it with:
- Reynolds 0 games cleared to play against Manly
- Kasiano No charge after illegally taking out DCE
- Choc 4 games for a tackle very similar to Reynolds'

This may seem to confirm the Manly loading but while I'm certain we don't get any favours we have not been screwed as much as we could have been if the loading really existed.

I remember being certain we would lose Skivvy and Tdog for the 2011 GF. Not because they in any way deserved to be cited, but because I believed in the conspiracy. I think one got no charge and the other no games. If someone wanted to screw us and have the support of the rest of the league world in the process, that was their opportunity.

In saying all that, I have to admit I can't think of too many recent favorable decosions and there is DEFINITELY a Matai loading!
dont forget Klemmer and his goose step against the roosters,he got off and was free to play against us too

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7