Experimental Rules for Allstars 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
The experimental rules are:

Ruck Penalties

- For infringements in the ruck area by the defending team (holding down, leg pull, hand on ball etc.) which does not result in the breakdown of play (i.e. drop ball), the referee will indicate the infringement by blowing his whistle and signaling the infringement. The match referee will then immediately signal the restart of the tackle count which shall occur at the point of the infringement with a zero tackle.

- There will be no kick for touch for these infringements. Play will continue immediately from the point of the infringement via a play the ball.

- Any foul play in the ruck area by the defending team will result in a traditional penalty.

- Any infringement by the attacking team in the ruck area will result in a traditional penalty.

Quick Restarts

- This will see an extension of the quick restart from the 20m, with players allowed quick penalty tap kicks/restarts (apart from ruck penalties) from the point of the offence. Captains questioning decisions will be restricted to when they are in possession and scrums.

Restarts from Kicks

- For any attacking team that kicks the ball from the outside the opponents 30m line (30m from try line) and the ball goes dead in-goal, the opponent will receive the ball via a handover (tap restart) from the point where the kick originated once the match officials are in place.

Source:http://www.nrl.com/all-stars-to-trial-experimental-rules/tabid/10874/newsid/70660/default.aspx

I dont mind the sound of the 'restart from kicks' rule, will mean kicks in play need to be more precise. Could also mean more 40-20s

Your Thoughts???

Ruck penalties. Don't like the rule change and should stick with a penalty and in particular, try to get rid of the wrestle that the scum introduced to the game.

Quick restarts. Terrible idea. It only promotes crap barge over tries when defence is not set. There is no need to speed up the game.

Third suggestion is also a terrible idea. The consequence is way too harsh and no rule change needed.

Now we've finally got rid of the News Ltd dinosaurs there's some worthwhile experimentation. Not sure about the quick restarts, but glad to see it tried as the only way to find out how these things might really work is to try them out.

If the attacking teams kick finds touch on less than the 5th tackle and within in defending teams 10m zone, the scrum is set where the ball went into touch ie: 2meters out or 5meters out.Not the 10m line.
reward for a good kick and allow a team to really aply pressure and most importantly stop wingers watching it just go dead.

The rule change I'd REALLY love to see tested is a max of 2 simultaneous tacklers. Sorts out who can really attack and defend. Men from the boys.

And if successful, can dump other rules then not needed like the stripping rule, some dangerous tackle rules, Storm wrestling tactics, etc.

Quick tap restarts I like, used to be always like that and can't see why it would have been changed. If it stops the incessant whining by captains it's a good thing. The ref's never going to change his decision and it's just a time wasting tactic.

The kick dead one is straight out of the rugby union rule book.

manlyfan76 said:
If the attacking teams kick finds touch on less than the 5th tackle and within in defending teams 10m zone, the scrum is set where the ball went into touch ie: 2meters out or 5meters out.Not the 10m line.
reward for a good kick and allow a team to really aply pressure and most importantly stop wingers watching it just go dead.
Push-over tries from scrums?

Rex said:
manlyfan76 said:
Push-over tries from scrums?

Only with the feed ie: 40-20.
Would make scrums interesting.

Imagine kicking a 40-20 that ends up 1meter out and if your forwards push hard enough your team get a try from a scrum instead of the winger watching it go dead and taking the 10m scrum or play the ball from where it was kicked. There are many options that would promote "having a go" instead of playing the Bennets re: percentages.

I don't think any of the proposed rule changes have merit.
There's nothing wrong with the areas of play they're trying to mess with.
Someone give these nuf-nufs something to do.

simon64 said:
I don't think any of the proposed rule changes have merit.
There's nothing wrong with the areas of play they're trying to mess with.
Someone give these nuf-nufs something to do.

If they have nothing to do it means the game is perfect.

Time wasting by captains is a terrible part of the game, so any attempt to get rid of that is worth a look in.

I wouldnt mind seeing the defencive line pushed back an extra 5m (15m)

Give the halves that little bit more time would be good to watch.

• 👍
Reactions: mbe
Napper said:
I wouldnt mind seeing the defencive line pushed back an extra 5m (15m)

Give the halves that little bit more time would be good to watch.

If that rule was the case big george would need to hit the treadmill pretty hard. :)

Thats alot of extra running a game.

Kiwi international Kieran Foran will make his Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars debut next week after being called into the NRL All Stars side today on the eve of the team coming together at Coogee tomorrow.
The 22-year-old Manly five-eighth was chosen by NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett to replace his Sea Eagles teammate Anthony Watmough in the fourth annual clash at Suncorp Stadium next Saturday (February 9).
Watmough withdrew today because he had not fully recovered from knee surgery in December. Sea Eagles Medical Staff were not confident he could go the distance in the prestigious and intense Harvey Norman All Stars match.
“I was shocked to get the call today but I am thrilled to be part of the game and I can’t wait to get into camp with the team tomorrow,” said Foran, who has played 88 games with the 2011 Telstra Premiership-winning Sea Eagles.

http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Foran-gets-All-Stars-call-up/67824

Choc couldn't recover from the honeymoon in time :p

The quick penalties was tried last year and I thought was a massive improvement on the speed of the game

I think penalising the team for kicking it dead will put more emphasis on judicious kicking and take out some of the negativity.

I dont think there is any need to worry about kicking, i think the tactics used for kicking has been a good part of the game and the quick restart has cleaned this area of the game up enough as it is.

The biggest area of the game that needs resolving is the wrestle and I think should be the focus of trial rules.

I wish they would trial a "clock stops when ball is outta play" rule.

Then keep it.

As it's be great.

globaleagle said:
I wish they would trial a "clock stops when ball is outta play" rule.

Then keep it.

As it's be great.

Yeah. And stop the clock to get rid of timewasting in the ruck too. Of course then TV execs would extend these stops to make the game more TV friendly. Teams could huddle to discuss tactics during the ad-break delays. And to reward attacks and increase point-scoring, each time a team makes a certain distance, the tackle count restarts and the teams can huddle to discuss new tactics. What could we call this restart?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8