Experience in teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shells Eagles

Reserve Grader
I believe we are forgetting how inexperienced our team is this year and anything we achieve this years provides great hope for the future❤️
This weekend total games per player for each team -
Eagles 1069
TIgers 1189
TItans 1199
Panthers 1215
Knights 1275
Rabbits 1295
Eels 1288
Raiders 1306
Warriors 1413
Dogs 1417
Chooks 1561
Dragons 1586
Broncos 1596
Storm 1622
Sharks 2053
Cowboys 2076

I believe we are forgetting how inexperienced our team is this year and anything we achieve this years provides great hope for the future❤️
This weekend total games per player for each team -
Eagles 1069
TIgers 1189
TItans 1199
Panthers 1215
Knights 1275
Rabbits 1295
Eels 1288
Raiders 1306
Warriors 1413
Dogs 1417
Chooks 1561
Dragons 1586
Broncos 1596
Storm 1622
Sharks 2053
Cowboys 2076

Hastings has 49 games NRL experience and Trent selects an unknown who has played one NRL game back in 2016 ahead of him.
In such an inexperienced team like ours one would think a coach would take advantage and make the most use of Hastings talent and experience but not Trent .
Why is this so?
The majority on this forum would like to know
a4d028655f5d27fa51703f8cb19a0bd4.jpg

Hastings has 49 games NRL experience and Trent selects an unknown who has played one NRL game back in 2016 ahead of him.
In such an inexperienced team like ours one would think a coach would take advantage and make the most use of Hastings talent and experience but not Trent .
Why is this so?
View attachment 8027

So on that basis, Jono Wright should be in the team some where!? Yes?

Shells Eagles you make a good point. Manly does have a very inexperienced side. But it also has a lot of reserve grade quality players who are persisted with. I'm all for youth, but lets get the best young players on the park, not a bunch of hand me down players who couldnt make it elsewhere. I'm all for giving players the second chance such as Hastings, Sirro, AFB etc but they are the minority in what seem a pedestrian lot which Barrett seems to persist with. He needs to be far more adventurous wth a young side to see who's got the goods and who hasnt. And then make hard decisions. I bet Cleary wouldn't allow such inertia

Shells Eagles you make a good point. Manly does have a very inexperienced side. But it also has a lot of reserve grade quality players who are persisted with. I'm all for youth, but lets get the best young players on the park, not a bunch of hand me down players who couldnt make it elsewhere. I'm all for giving players the second chance such as Hastings, Sirro, AFB etc but they are the minority in what seem a pedestrian lot which Barrett seems to persist with. He needs to be far more adventurous wth a young side to see who's got the goods and who hasnt. And then make hard decisions. I bet Cleary wouldn't allow such inertia

Take a look at what's happening right now with Melbourne. Croft was talked up big as Cronk's long-term replacement, yet after just 5 games Bellamy has seen that he still needs more time to develop his game so is sending him back to Qld Cup rather than see his NRL side continue to struggle.

That's the difference. The top coaches know when changes need to be made.

Take a look at what's happening right now with Melbourne. Croft was talked up big as Cronk's long-term replacement, yet after just 5 games Bellamy has seen that he still needs more time to develop his game so is sending him back to Qld Cup rather than see his NRL side continue to struggle.

It hasn't yet been established if that sacking and replacement with Jacks has been a successful move ....

Sacking someone is easy .... don't always make it the correct move.

Hopefully this means that Manly is building a strong team that will be very competitive for many years to come.

Bear, from the reports I have read from people who have watched T. Wright in reggies there have been as many saying he is not ready as have given him a wrap .... with those sort of mixed reviews it is hard to believe he is a walk up start ..

I cannot understand why you would expect a coach to select him ahead of Uate, Parker or even M. Wright .....

He has been named in the 21 twice and is obviously on the radar .... and will get his chance .... but I have not yet seen the time when I would have played him ..

PSS I have only seen him play 5/8 .... and other than individual running talent (just like Walker) ... I was unconvinced that the halves are his go.

Edit PSS But I have been wrong before ......

Last edited:
Why is this so?
View attachment 8027

No need for Hastings, we can play Brown and J Wright - over 400 games experience between them

Bellamy did put Croft in as his 3rd season with the club since debut so got it more wrong to start with

With the immensely experienced Myles on our books I can't understand why Baz doesn't select him ahead of a young upstart AFB .... according to Bozo a good coach would ....

Bear, from the reports I have read from people who have watched T. Wright in reggies there have been as many saying he is not ready as have given him a wrap .... with those sort of mixed reviews it is hard to believe he is a walk up start ..

I cannot understand why you would expect a coach to select him ahead of Uate, Parker or even M. Wright .....

He has been named in the 21 twice and is obviously on the radar .... and will get his chance .... but I have not yet seen the time when I would have played him ..

PSS I have only seen him play 5/8 .... and other than individual running talent (just like Walker) ... I was unconvinced that the halves are his go.

Good points Woodsie. But a couple of issues here. I am not sugegsting Tom W should be our 5/8. Like Barrett I'm not convinced that's his best position. I'd have him wider with more room to use his magic. I would at this stage give Hastings the 5/8 position. Might not work either but if its not working then try something else before it too late in the season. I would have T.Wright ahead of Uate, Parker and M. Wright on the wing and maybe a little later in the centre. Reason. He's much faster than any of those guys, has better attacking skills even when he's quiet, has a good kicking game and having played full back often has a good catching game. Do any of those three have that combination...no. I would suspect in the Reggies most coaches say, watch twinkle toes Wright closely, and at 5/8 its easier to mark a player than wider out, especially when you dont have a top half inside. His only area that I would question is, though he's a strong defender, he's a bit grabby. I'd also have Anderson by the way ahead of those three for similar reasons. Uate has had his time, Matt Wright is pedestrian, and Parker is an excellent defender and tough, but I've yet to see him make a break. He'd make an excellent roving backrow forward.

Good points Woodsie. But a couple of issues here. I am not sugegsting Tom W should be our 5/8. Like Barrett I'm not convinced that's his best position. I'd have him wider with more room to use his magic. I would at this stage give Hastings the 5/8 position. Might not work either but if its not working then try something else before it too late in the season. I would have T.Wright ahead of Uate, Parker and M. Wright on the wing and maybe a little later in the centre. Reason. He's much faster than any of those guys, has better attacking skills even when he's quiet, has a good kicking game and having played full back often has a good catching game. Do any of those three have that combination...no. I would suspect in the Reggies most coaches say, watch twinkle toes Wright closely, and at 5/8 its easier to mark a player than wider out, especially when you dont have a top half inside. His only area that I would question is, though he's a strong defender, he's a bit grabby. I'd also have Anderson by the way ahead of those three for similar reasons. Uate has had his time, Matt Wright is pedestrian, and Parker is an excellent defender and tough, but I've yet to see him make a break. He'd make an excellent roving backrow forward.

My gut feeling (and hope) is that you are 100% correct. I suspect that you are ... I just also (gut feel) is that you may be half a season early ...

I have no doubt that Anderson and Tom have big futures ...

It may also have been a consideration that with Walker out, and Croker struggling the last thing Baz may have wanted was another rookie in the backline ....

Why is this so?
View attachment 8027

I hardly think first grade experienced of 49 games is a huge contributor to selection. I certainly wouldn’t argue that Hastings should be selected over Croker based on NRL experience.

In relation the topic I believe we are really lacking premiership winning experience. A hard old forward leader like Myles was supposed to be would help this team a lot.

With the immensely experienced Myles on our books I can't understand why Baz doesn't select him ahead of a young upstart AFB .... according to Bozo a good coach would ....
I was referring to our 5/8 issue
Hastings has 49 NRL games experience and Croker had one NRL game experience over 2 years ago .
Hastings is a young talented upstart
Myles , Brown , Johno Wright are past it .
Once a player is past his used by date the only experience valuable to a club would be from a coaching staff level .
Just to put things in perspective .
Sorry about my grammar .
The moral of my story is that if I spent more time in class at school than in the gymnasium I would be more articulate .

I hardly think first grade experienced of 49 games is a huge contributor to selection. I certainly wouldn’t argue that Hastings should be selected over Croker based on NRL experience.

In relation the topic I believe we are really lacking premiership winning experience. A hard old forward leader like Myles was supposed to be would help this team a lot.
49 NRL games makes up to about 2 seasons experience . I believe that is a HUGE contributor to any young player .
We will agree to disagree feathered friend

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8