EXEMPTION TO GET FOLAU UNDER SALARY CAP

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
Israel Folau has been urged to delay a decision on his future as the NRL considers full or partial exemptions for rugby union players as part of its comprehensive review of the salary cap.

Folau was widely expected to remain with the NSW Waratahs next year because NRL clubs could not afford to match the money on offer from the Australian Rugby Union.

That could be about to change as the NRL considers firing a shot across the bow of its chief rival. The NRL is in the throes of completing the terms of reference for its salary cap review and it is understood clubs in contact with Folau’s management have made it known changes could take place.

One of the primary purposes of that review will be to ensure the salary cap continues to promote an even competition, but not if it means missing out on signing elite players such as Folau and Sonny Bill Williams. Williams is expected to re-sign with the Sydney Roosters for next season but return to rugby union in 2015.

Read more at The Australian

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/exemption-to-get-folau-under-salary-cap-10354/#ixzz2Yo5JjBro

How dumb - Izzy can be an International Sports Star, Olympian and does not have to tackle to collect his millions in RU.:cool:

The NRL bending over backwards for an individual is counter productive to Player harmony and will not get the Fans outside of his chosen Club.

I don't agree with this, why should he be given exception to earn more money just because he walked away from League (and AFL too).

All it will do is encourage good players to leave the game for a year or two, then come back knowing they get exception to earn bigger dollars.

This is biased against the stars who stay in the game.

Great idea as long as we are the ones to get him. Any other club and it sux. Big problem will arise if he goes to an already strong club.

The funny thing is the clubs that will gain from this are SBW = Rooster and Izzy = Bulldogs.

2 team that are doing creative accouting already this season.

It's a slippery slope. Only the rich can then afford the big dollars that would obviously be on the table to attract a marquee Union player. Is it a limit of one per club?

The only concessions to be considered should be based on length of continuous service to a single NRL club. Not attracting players from anywhere else, and not about juniors of which there is wide variation between what each NRL club 'owns', generally due to unavoidable circumstances.

Why should ARU players be exempt from the salary cap more than AFL or long serving NRL players?

This smells of Greenturd's influence and will only assist the rich clubs which is defeating the purpose of the salary cap in spreading talent around.

Once again, it will just enable the wealthy clubs (Roosters, Broncos, Bulldogs, and to a lesser extent Rabbitohs) to offer him a king's ransom without it counting towards the cap. I don't want him back in the NRL if it means these ****ty clubs get a benefit.

Hamster Huey said:
It's a slippery slope. Only the rich can then afford the big dollars that would obviously be on the table to attract a marquee Union player. Is it a limit of one per club?
Correct. A slippery slope unless.... The only way for this to work is that so-called marque players are paid by the NRL and have to go to the lowest finishing clubs. So, Folau would go to the wooden spooners (almost certain to be Parra). If the NRL was worried about another marque player defecting then he would have to go to the club finishing 15th, and so on.
It's another way of evening out the comp.

I'm telling you - Barba to Broncos, Folau to Dogs. I can feel it in me waters. (whatever that means)

The Who said:
Hamster Huey said:
Correct. A slippery slope unless.... The only way for this to work is that so-called marque players are paid by the NRL and have to go to the lowest finishing clubs. So, Folau would go to the wooden spooners (almost certain to be Parra). If the NRL was worried about another marque player defecting then he would have to go to the club finishing 15th, and so on.
It's another way of evening out the comp.

Me thinks it will definitely NOT work this way...

Folau would be playing league if Parra registered a contract for his true value at the time, which would have been around $600,000, instead they tried to register a contract for $400,000, so naturally the NRL knocked it back , and rightly so, why should Parra get the benefit of a player worth a lot more than $400,000, at a discounted rate.
But with all the publicity over this over the past six months, and with his success in union, then he would be looking for a contract around $800,000+, can you imagine the uproar if he goes to the Bulldogs, or Roosters , on a contract subsidized by the NRL

I think that every team should be allowed 1 player off the cap. This player can sign for as much as the parties agree. This will target the top rugby players. The clubs that do not have as much money are to receive a top up from the NRL to entice the top rugby/AFL players. Guys like Folau and SBW will be the main targets. Cooper, Mogg or Giteau a few years back would be or have been targets. Lets put fear into the Rugby guys.

eagleE said:
simon64 said:
This idea will be up there with buying a betamax VCR.

Shows what an old piece of s**t you are. Lol.

My BetaMax VCR is still going strong, tough as bloody nails that thing is. Can you recommend anywhere I can rent the videos, can't seem to find them these days ?

Plays league: plays at ****ty Penrith, Canberra, Parramatta stadiums etc
Plays union: See's the world playing in Paris, London, Italy, South Africa, Argentina etc

The world game offers more, not just in money, but experiences and fame on the world stage. Probably earns similar in each game. I know which one i would choose, no brainer.

Lord Eagleton said:
Plays league: plays at ****ty Penrith, Canberra, Parramatta stadiums etc
Plays union: See's the world playing in Paris, London, Italy, South Africa, Argentina etc

The world game offers more, not just in money, but experiences and fame on the world stage. Probably earns similar in each game. I know which one i would choose, no brainer.

League

Yeah. All those uncomfortable airline seats. Rotten airline food. Jet lag. Airline delays. Chances of a crash...
who'd want to travel to Paris, London etc when you can drive to all the Sydney grounds?

eagleE said:
simon64 said:
This idea will be up there with buying a betamax VCR.

Shows what an old piece of s**t you are. Lol.

I would be totally offended by this eagleE.........were it not 100% true. Now, where are my painkillers for my sore back ?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7