Excuses are like losses Every team has them except Champions

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yeah what they have there is a champion side. Playing form team in league without there halfs and top metre maker. Real shot at back to back.
I am happy to can enjoy good footy now and not worry about the complete rabble our great club has become.
Penrith is a example of what should be done near unbeatable nsw cup team, champion nrl team huge junior development.
Guess that having one of the largest junior league nurseries in the country has to pay some dividends on a fairly regular basis . Be interesting if some of the talent in the recently successful Manly Ball and Mathews sides can kick on to good N R L players in Manly "s main squad . Can "t ever recall Manly having a regular or continuous strong line up in their reserve grade sides even in the big spending days . Really have to be relentless or have that relentless style of play to be in the higher ranked category and of course the regular appearance of your better rated players . Panthers , Storm and most times Souths seem able to be fairly consistent in that department . Host of other sides not too far off it . Manly at full strength can come close but that relentless mind set and play has to be there for the majority of the game and something Manly still has to come to terms with in the modern game .

Guess that having one of the largest junior league nurseries in the country has to pay some dividends on a fairly regular basis .
No one plays league in Melbourne apart from the Great Melbourne storm but the Storms Great People live and think outside the square and pay dividends on a fairly regular basis

The moral of the story
For every excuse there is a solution that paves the way towards success

Excuses are a comfort zone for incompetence

If we breed a culture on excuses
We build a premiership winning house with straws
and come finals time every top 8 team blows us away

No one plays league in Melbourne apart from the Great Melbourne storm but the Storms Great People live and think outside the square and pay dividends on a fairly regular basis
u
The moral of the story
For every excuse there is a solution that paves the way towards success
be interesting how they will go in the finals without 2 of their better players out [ Pappy and Welsh ] If last week is any example seem to have no problems stepping up a gear or two and playing damm good and just continuously turning up for each other . Plenty of good ability with Manly at full or near full strength , and to get that machine type play to be able to match the better sides

Guess that having one of the largest junior league nurseries in the country has to pay some dividends on a fairly regular basis . Be interesting if some of the talent in the recently successful Manly Ball and Mathews sides can kick on to good N R L players in Manly "s main squad . Can "t ever recall Manly having a regular or continuous strong line up in their reserve grade sides even in the big spending days . Really have to be relentless or have that relentless style of play to be in the higher ranked category and of course the regular appearance of your better rated players . Panthers , Storm and most times Souths seem able to be fairly consistent in that department . Host of other sides not too far off it . Manly at full strength can come close but that relentless mind set and play has to be there for the majority of the game and something Manly still has to come to terms with in the modern game .
Those players are not just from there junior nursery. There is players from western nsw Martin and Yeo and nz.
While Api a top level recruit and kikau is a cowboys junior.
Look I don't ever see our nsw cup being a title winner but winning a portion of games should be an aim.
Our juniors perform quite well at Matthews, flegg and ball level. We been at that level before I don't think our nrl roster is no where near that level.
Our recruitment been somewhat average at times and the singular singing of Tuilagi and losses of Davey, Foran, Walker and Taupau highlight where we are at

Those players are not just from there junior nursery. There is players from western nsw Martin and Yeo and nz.
While Api a top level recruit and kikau is a cowboys junior.
Look I don't ever see our nsw cup being a title winner but winning a portion of games should be an aim.
Our juniors perform quite well at Matthews, flegg and ball level. We been at that level before I don't think our nrl roster is no where near that level.
Our recruitment been somewhat average at times and the singular singing of Tuilagi and losses of Davey, Foran, Walker and Taupau highlight where we are at
Yeah fair points , think in Manly "s case it is more a matter of getting that stability of having the strongest or close to full strength side available most of the time . Naturally a much better outcome last season , this season just decimated with injuries . Still the nucleus of a good side , got to just have a better run on the injury front

Panthers remind me a lot of the 2007-2014 Manly dynasty

A real tight knit core group with strike power across the park and a healthy amount of arrogance

Manly has a lot to work on to get back to that stage, we lack the temperament to grind out big games until opportunities present themselves and we lack the composure to execute when they do appear.

I think 2023 has disaster written all over it with Schuster and DCE halves unless significant changes are made

Last edited:
Penrith without not one but three of their best players in Cleary , Luai and James fisher Harris

Defied Adversity , Eliminated Excuses and Prevailed against the Rabbits

Excuses are like losses..... Every team has them except Champions
Actually, I don't give a shyte about the panthers or their success. There's excuses and reality. We aren't there yet.

Brave effort ?

Lets talk about the winning Benchmark of all Brave efforts , The Brave effort that wins comps

Lets talk about our Busted Manly players who played 6 games in 24 days to win the Grand final

Excuses are like losses..... Every team has them except Champions
See the source image

Bozo, of all Manly's premiership wins this 1978 grand final team was the true stand out as warriors. What a remarkable effort playing so many finals games in such a short period and then winning rather comfortably against the Sharks. I was there and remember how determined they were, almost playing on figuratively one leg and yet never giving an inch. My Number One Manly side.

We will be champions again.. just not with this squad…

I really hope we get it together so the turbo boys can win a gf together but we need a few key ingredients to come together for that to happen…

We need a decent hooker… one that gets the forwards rolling down the field while also causing problems ball in hand.. kicking game would help too.. croker tackles his guts out but isn’t that player..

A handy ball playing lock… schuster fits the bill for mine , just needs to get his attitude right… I don’t think he will play 6 long term in the nrl.. not with his body shape..

A backrower that can punch holes thru the opposition and has a motor that runs all day ala one Anthony watmough… Ola is great at close range, but does less than half the other stuff that choc did.. esp from within our own half of the field…

And we need potent centres… ones that can actually score tries, but also set them up…
Gonna be hard pressed getting another Jamie Lyon type, he’s the best centre I’ve ever seen play the game… but someone with half his natural talent would be a huge step in the right direction… esp in the playmaking department..
And a matai type on the other side… a try scorer and opposition punisher… someone that they fear… if you think anyone fears Harper,koula or Parker your dreaming….

Ide give koula more time to develop as he hasn’t even played a full season yet, but ide be going after a staggs/olam/ramien type for the other side.. won’t win a raffle with Harper or Parker in the side let alone a title… personally of Saab, Garrick and turbo are fit next year ,my centres are koula and tuipulotu next year..

And some forwards lol.. I like alioai, but happy to see tapau, sipley, tent and Keppie take a hike… if tent realised his size and strength ide keep him but it doesn’t seem like he ever will… our pack doesn’t go forward.. we are CONSTANTLY held to 20-30 meters on our sets and that’s a really pathetic effort..

Just my opinion , but if we fix those issues , we can win.. if we don’t.. like I don’t think we will in the next year or 2, it will be more of them same BS as the majority of the last 5 years

I really hope we get it together so the turbo boys can win a gf together but we need a few key ingredients to come together for that to happen…

We need a decent hooker… one that gets the forwards rolling down the field while also causing problems ball in hand.. kicking game would help too.. croker tackles his guts out but isn’t that player..

A handy ball playing lock… schuster fits the bill for mine , just needs to get his attitude right… I don’t think he will play 6 long term in the nrl.. not with his body shape..

A backrower that can punch holes thru the opposition and has a motor that runs all day ala one Anthony watmough… Ola is great at close range, but does less than half the other stuff that choc did.. esp from within our own half of the field…

And we need potent centres… ones that can actually score tries, but also set them up…
Gonna be hard pressed getting another Jamie Lyon type, he’s the best centre I’ve ever seen play the game… but someone with half his natural talent would be a huge step in the right direction… esp in the playmaking department..
And a matai type on the other side… a try scorer and opposition punisher… someone that they fear… if you think anyone fears Harper,koula or Parker your dreaming….

Ide give koula more time to develop as he hasn’t even played a full season yet, but ide be going after a staggs/olam/ramien type for the other side.. won’t win a raffle with Harper or Parker in the side let alone a title… personally of Saab, Garrick and turbo are fit next year ,my centres are koula and tuipulotu next year..

And some forwards lol.. I like alioai, but happy to see tapau, sipley, tent and Keppie take a hike… if tent realised his size and strength ide keep him but it doesn’t seem like he ever will… our pack doesn’t go forward.. we are CONSTANTLY held to 20-30 meters on our sets and that’s a really pathetic effort..

Just my opinion , but if we fix those issues , we can win.. if we don’t.. like I don’t think we will in the next year or 2, it will be more of them same BS as the majority of the last 5 years
Wouldn 't be quite as pessimistic with the current or future squad but 6 and 13 are certainly areas of concern . Croker is not the most dynamic 9 going around but as one of the best defensively can suffice and can hold his own in other areas . Previously thought Koula [ ist choice ] and Tuipulotu as maybe the best cente pairing going forward but got to acknowledge the good all round ability and reliability with Parker . Tui could still be the pick though . Tent if he can overcome his injury issues is still good value , still quite hopeful with Tuilagi. . Jake and Haumole up with the best of them, a couple of good forwards coming through .. Might not be the most likely scenario at this stage but Weekes at 6 and Shu at 13 not that unrealistic , just that extra work load for Shu but he is a i st grade footy player now . Bullemor should have plenty of upside if he can just get to the next level .

What I've noted about body shapes and sizes in League is that their value changes as years pass. For a long while wingers were all small and fast. Then along came players like Grothe, and gradually, though the small winger hasnt disappeared, many wingers are big and fast. Then there are centres. They also were smaller and fast then along comes Meninga and Cleal. Second rowers who had to be built robust and solid. Along comes Menzies, tall lean, fast, classic around the bootlace tackling style, not the bash and barge sort. Five eighths were smaller and clever side stepping ball players. Along comes Lewis. Hookers small nuggety. Along comes Smith, hardly a hooking body shape ideal yet one of the best. The game changes with the tactics (and the rule changes). It may be that a player like Schuster ends up as lock or second row. Then again he could also become the template of what 5/8s should be built like for the next generation. What fits today will not necessarily fit tomorrow.

Excuses really are like losses for this team, and we've got plenty of both. Said it plenty of times all year, but unless every little thing goes exactly our way, we are no chance for a win.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2