Evolve or perish?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
I witnessed last nights match and what really stood out for me is the evolution of the two teams out there last night.

I saw a Penrith side full of youthful exhuberance, powerful, energetic, fast and a solid game plan based on hard running and astute game management from an inform halves pairing.

What I saw in Manly was a predictable game plan, slow to react, one half in DCE doing a great job in trying to get things happening with zero support from his parther in the halves.

I understand that Manly are short handed at the moment, we have key players either injured or playing injured. The stark difference in the backrow efforts of both teams really stood out. Jake tried hard, Sirro did well considering hes not fit and Thommo is not the player he was. Their back row was dynamic, they killed on the fringes.

I applaud that Penrith had the foresight to bring in youth last year and blood them when it was obvious that they were not going to make the finals and the have not been afraid to move on quality players to give their great young players a chance.

I see Manly playing and I know they try hard and you can see that some of the guys really put in. We are carrying too many passengers right now who are not of first grade standard and when the heat is applied we wilt.

We have some great young players and the are currently idle.

A telling stat this season is we are scoring about 15 points a game, that is ten less than the top 4 and our general attack lacks creativity and is sooo predictable.

Every kick that Penrith did last night had a purpose, the bombs that Cleary kicks are really hard to defuse and challenge the best full backs out there, Most of our bombs are straight to the opposition without challenge. The second half last night Penrith got 3 line drop outs and just controlled the game easily. They had game management even when over 20 points ahead and I dont see that consistently with our halves.

Des has been around the traps and with all his experience he knows that its a results based game and the risk is do you blood young players? or stick with the tried and trusted ones?

Penrith played with a freedom last night that reminded me of Manly in 2011. We had a young DCE, Foran and Hoppa blended in with our experienced guys who won in 2008 and it was a great energetic, creative and tough side.

I hope Des remebers that and understands that young guys like Funa, Schuster and co deserve a chance if the more experienced guys are just not doing the business.

I understand that Des is hoping that we scrape into the 8 and that a fit Tommy will make a difference. The truth is that after seeing last nights game, we are miles behind the top 4 consistently.

I want to see the team evolve and I was Des to prove that he can also do that as his last 2 years at the Dogs were not good and his reluctance to change things ultimately cost him there.

Since 2015, Manly have really made some dud decisions in relation to keeping young players, We had a Holden cup team make the grand final in 2015 and win in 2017 and how many players from those teams are in our current 17???

I witnessed last nights match and what really stood out for me is the evolution of the two teams out there last night.

I saw a Penrith side full of youthful exhuberance, powerful, energetic, fast and a solid game plan based on hard running and astute game management from an inform halves pairing.

What I saw in Manly was a predictable game plan, slow to react, one half in DCE doing a great job in trying to get things happening with zero support from his parther in the halves.

I understand that Manly are short handed at the moment, we have key players either injured or playing injured. The stark difference in the backrow efforts of both teams really stood out. Jake tried hard, Sirro did well considering hes not fit and Thommo is not the player he was. Their back row was dynamic, they killed on the fringes.

I applaud that Penrith had the foresight to bring in youth last year and blood them when it was obvious that they were not going to make the finals and the have not been afraid to move on quality players to give their great young players a chance.

I see Manly playing and I know they try hard and you can see that some of the guys really put in. We are carrying too many passengers right now who are not of first grade standard and when the heat is applied we wilt.

We have some great young players and the are currently idle.

A telling stat this season is we are scoring about 15 points a game, that is ten less than the top 4 and our general attack lacks creativity and is sooo predictable.

Every kick that Penrith did last night had a purpose, the bombs that Cleary kicks are really hard to defuse and challenge the best full backs out there, Most of our bombs are straight to the opposition without challenge. The second half last night Penrith got 3 line drop outs and just controlled the game easily. They had game management even when over 20 points ahead and I dont see that consistently with our halves.

Des has been around the traps and with all his experience he knows that its a results based game and the risk is do you blood young players? or stick with the tried and trusted ones?

Penrith played with a freedom last night that reminded me of Manly in 2011. We had a young DCE, Foran and Hoppa blended in with our experienced guys who won in 2008 and it was a great energetic, creative and tough side.

I hope Des remebers that and understands that young guys like Funa, Schuster and co deserve a chance if the more experienced guys are just not doing the business.

I understand that Des is hoping that we scrape into the 8 and that a fit Tommy will make a difference. The truth is that after seeing last nights game, we are miles behind the top 4 consistently.

I want to see the team evolve and I was Des to prove that he can also do that as his last 2 years at the Dogs were not good and his reluctance to change things ultimately cost him there.

Since 2015, Manly have really made some dud decisions in relation to keeping young players, We had a Holden cup team make the grand final in 2015 and win in 2017 and how many players from those teams are in our current 17???

2015 we kept Knight, Bainbridge and Tom. Ramien, Garner, Hynes all went elsewhere. So only Tom left here from that team.

2017 we had Wright (rugby) who left, otherwise we still have Cust, Funa, Fainu, Olokau'atu. Not sure about Blacktown signings.

Worth pointing out that Hopoate debuted in 2010 but didn't nail down a starting spot until Wolfman broke his neck near the end of 2011. It was only after he left Manly that he was first choice for a starting spot.

Great point - its no suprise in the modern game MOST teams are allowing their talented youngsters a shot and are getting great damn rewards in most cases and I truly believe our rookies are more talented then most these others who have done very well

Last edited:
Agree. These conversations remind me of Foran’s debut in ‘09 & DCE’s in ‘11 which, as you’ve pointed out, accomplished their purpose.

2015 we kept Knight, Bainbridge and Tom. Ramien, Garner, Hynes all went elsewhere. So only Tom left here from that team.

2017 we had Wright (rugby) who left, otherwise we still have Cust, Funa, Fainu, Olokau'atu. Not sure about Blacktown signings.

Worth pointing out that Hopoate debuted in 2010 but didn't nail down a starting spot until Wolfman broke his neck near the end of 2011. It was only after he left Manly that he was first choice for a starting spot.
Titmus was in the 2017 team,

Now that we have a good coach everything will be fine .....
Wooooodddddddy mcwood duck with another veiled shot at Des.
Guess what? Your son, Barrett ( has to be, for you to constantly stick up for him) is a total sh!t cun1. Proven by him leaving, then whinging after he left.
On top of that your sh!t cun1 son claimed responsibility when we were winning!!!!
Hahahaha
Woooooooddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy mcwoood duck

Wooooodddddddy mcwood duck with another veiled shot at Des.
Guess what? Your son, Barrett ( has to be, for you to constantly stick up for him) is a total sh!t cun1. Proven by him leaving, then whinging after he left.
On top of that your sh!t cun1 son claimed responsibility when we were winning!!!!
Hahahaha
Woooooooddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyy mcwoood duck

No ... you sweet talking wee Nancy .... it was a shot at all the numbnuts that blame a coach for everything .... or somehow thing that any coach has omnipotent powers ...

I have to admit I said that but in my defense I was in the fetal position and feeling particularly desperate at the time.

In a moment of rare honesty .... I will say that I am glad that we have a good coach in Dessie ....it's just that having been around coaches all my life I just know none of them are Gods .... even the best of them can spend a week drilling a game plan ... only to see it fall apart after 2 mins ...

In a moment of rare honesty .... I will say that I am glad that we have a good coach in Dessie ....it's just that having been around coaches all my life I just know none of them are Gods .... even the best of them can spend a week drilling a game plan ... only to see it fall apart after 2 mins ...
Wooooooooodddddddy mcwood duck.
Quack quack

Who let the child hozza onto silvertails. Jeez you’re making this place look like an eels forum

Mate sick to death of that pea heart pretender constantly pushing the Barrett agenda. Whist we aren’t going particularly well at the moment, Des is 50 times the coach that cu$t was...

And mcwood duck constantly calls posters on here names....... numnuts anyone?

We are all angry and frustrated but turning on each other is not okay. Chill PiIll time and lets be nice. I don't always agree with posters on here but a discussion has differing points of view that's what makes it interesting.

Wooooooooodddddddy mcwood duck.
Quack quack
i-think-hes-lost-the-plot.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4