EURO 2012 Poland/Ukraine

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Aetna

Reserve Grader
The Euro 2012 Tournament co-hosted by Poland & the Ukraine begins on 8 June 2012 opening match Poland v Greece & finishes with the final on 1 July 2012.

Who will be Champions?
Who will be the surprise teams? (over achieving & under achieving)
Player of the Tournament?
Tournament Top Goalscorer?

I might as well kick off.

Champions: Germany
Surprise over achievers: Russia
Surprise under achievers: Spain
Best player & Top Goalscorer: Mario Gomez

Champions - I want to say Spain and I see no reason not to - so Spain
Surprise over achieving - Russia
Under achieving - Dutch
Best player - Iniesta or Fabregas
Goal Scorer - Gomez

Overachievers: France
Underachievers: England (If you can even call them under-achieving a suprise anymore)
Best Player: Mesut Ozil
Goal Scorer: Robin Van Persie

Was tempted to put Spain as the suprise under-achievers, if Barca & Madrid are anything to go by, they're going to be out of steam by the time the EUROs roll around.

Definately don't think that the Netherlands will go far either.

Honestly think that France have a good chance to take it out, good young team that are probably in the best form of any international squad.

Wolfpack said:
Overachievers: France
Underachievers: England (If you can even call them under-achieving a suprise anymore)
Best Player: Mesut Ozil
Goal Scorer: Robin Van Persie

Was tempted to put Spain as the suprise under-achievers, if Barca & Madrid are anything to go by, they're going to be out of steam by the time the EUROs roll around.

Definately don't think that the Netherlands will go far either.

Honestly think that France have a good chance to take it out, good young team that are probably in the best form of any international squad.
I was very close in putting the exact some as your predictions & we seem to agree on Spain running out of steam.

I also have a slight feeling about Italy & Mario Balotelli doing very well if not all the way.

Yeah, it doesn't help that Italy's forward stocks are really depleted at the moment as well. Rumours that Ballotelli may not even get picked due to his issues with Prandelli.

The Italians do always seem to go really well or just bomb out completely, though.

Wolfpack said:
Yeah, it doesn't help that Italy's forward stocks are really depleted at the moment as well. Rumours that Ballotelli may not even get picked due to his issues with Prandelli.

The Italians do always seem to go really well or just bomb out completely, though.
Italy failed at EURO 2008 & at the 2010 FIFA World Cup & are due for a final. Not a fan, only a feeling.

lsz said:
What about the poms and Woy Woy?
I don't know what to expect from England. With just over a month before the start of the tournament & England still have no Manager/Coach. The team will have the usual faces exept for injury. Joe Hart, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Steven Gerard, Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard, Theo Walcott, Wayne Rooney, Andy Carroll.

Majority were at Euro 2004 & many even at 2002 FIFA World Cup.

TBH I wouldn't be suprised if the Poms bomb out in the group stage, Sweden will be no push overs & Ukraine could suprise if they fire up with the (co-) home advantage.

Don't forget that Rooney will miss the first three games of the tournament either.

Wolfpack said:
TBH I wouldn't be suprised if the Poms bomb out in the group stage, Sweden will be no push overs & Ukraine could suprise if they fire up with the (co-) home advantage.

Don't forget that Rooney will miss the first three games of the tournament either.
I forgot about Rooney's suspension. England are gone.

The Euro 2012 Tournament begins at 2am Saturday morning. SBS will telecast only 8 matches on free to air television.

If you have Foxtel you can subscribe to Setanta Sports on their website & watch every match plus other sports like English-Welsh Rugby League, Union & lots more football. You can subscribe for only two months if you wish.

Poland 1 Greece 1
Poland did not take their chances to be up by more than 1-0 at half time. The host Poland had the crowd advantage & the Spanish referee incorrectly having sent off the Greek defender. Greece came out fired up in 2nd half, with 10 men, not only equalizing but should of won
against the hosts after the Greek captain missed a penalty.

Russia 4 Czech Republic 1
Russia looked in control the whole time. Even when the Czech Republic pulled a goal back, Russia seemed to turn it up a gear.

Aetna said:
I also have a slight feeling about Italy & Mario Balotelli doing very well if not all the way.
Italy looked good in their opening 1-1 draw with Spain. I'm not a betting man, but I'm going to put some money on them to win Euro 2012. They are starting to remind me of the Germany 2006 FIFA World Cup after the match fixing in Serie A.

I saw the highlights of the Italy - Spain game, very interesting line-up from the Spaniards though, starting the game with no strikers (Shades of Pim Verbeek). Ballotelli looked very average though Di Natale was great when he came on & was well rewarded with the goal. I won't be suprised if they go far into the tournament, but then on the same page I won't be suprised if they bomb out in the group, Italy are always hard to pick.

Disappointed that the French couldn't kill of the Poms, they had much of the running for the second half & it just seemed like a matter of time before they got the winner. Good parking of the bus by England though. Had to love Nasri giving it to the English bench after his goal.

Shock of the round has to be Denmark getting over the Netherlands. The Dutch could be in some serious trouble given the group they're in.

They're a good team, but not in the same league as the Dutch as far as talent goes.

Form often trumps talent though, as we have seen so far.

Greece have shocked the Group A favorites Russia with a deserved 1-0 victory to progress to the Quarter Finals stage against most probably Germany. Russia can go home & watch from TV together with co-hosts Poland whom lost 1-0 to the Czech Republic, to play most probably Portugal or Denmark in the Quarter Finals.

Russia had so much possession but never tested the Greek goalkeeper. Greece should of had a definite penalty given early in the 2nd half & had the better chances including hitting the post from a free kick. Russia were very disappointing. They were forced to shoot from long distance. I had them as my surprise team for Euro 2012.

A typical clinical performance by Germany in their 2-1 victory over Denmark to set up a Quarter Final match against the surprise team Greece & send Denmark out of the tournament.

Portugal with Cristiano Ronaldo staring defeated the Netherlands 2-1 to set up Quarter Final match against the Czech Republic & send the Netherlands home with 0 points.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4