EPL Transfer System

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Was just sitting here watching Arsenal v Chelsea and thought how differently the transfer of players works in the EPL.

A club will decide if they want to sell a player after another club shows interest.

Under this system we would simply need to put "Not for Sale" signs on Foran, T-Rex, Ballin and Matai.

I know they don't have a salary cap etc, and I might not be comparing apples with apples, but can you imagine Manchester United selling Wayne Rooney ? Not bleedin' likely.

Be nice if the club had a bit more of a say.

I've thought about this too. I don't think it would work because of the cap though (as you mentioned). I'd be all in favour of this - that way clubs that grow players from youth, like Arsenal, can make decent profits on them as they mature and as a result have the opportunity to strengthen a different part of the team. Trouble is, the clubs here are so poor that they couldn't bid on players and be able to afford transfer fees and then pay wages too.

BTW, shame there were no goals tonight.

Thats not how it works at all. Players move all the time without their club selling them. Perhaps not so much at the top level but certainly below that.

They simply wait till their contracts are up, then move on. A few players at Ipswich, the club I follow are in this position now only a few games from the end of the season. In that regard it works the same way as RL.

Foran is currently a free agent, and as such he can negotiate with whomever he likes, as he could if he played in the EPL.

Also in the EPL a lot of players have clauses in their contracts allowing them to move if another club offers an amount that exceeds a pre-set figure. That means that in a lot of cases the club is powerless to stop someone buying their players if the buyer is willing to put up big money to get them.

Rusty said:
Thats not how it works at all.

^^^

You're also comparing the EPL (the transfer system is the same for all FIFA leagues btw, not just the EPL) which is a non-capped league to a salary capped league.

The way contract negotiations work in the NRL is rubbish & it does have to change, but copying & pasting the rules from another system isn't the answer.

Personally I think the way to go is to just have a free agency period (say, the month of January) where all players whose contracts have expired may then be signed by other teams (though the team with which the player held their prior contract may negotiate an extension whenever they wish).

Alternatively, have a ruling enforcing no contract negotiations with an opposition team's player until they are in the final six months of their contract. Those of you that like to have a cry at teams poaching from other teams junior squads may be interest in the FIFA Bosman Ruling also.

Its not just the EPL, its a FIFA thing. And is very equitable. If a player is wanted to go somewhere else, during contract, they can sign, the other club plays a transfer fee and the then they start paying the player. Its great compensation for the club that developed the player over the last few years. If the player is out of contract, he can freely sign wherever he wants.

On the flip side, there is also the training compensation as well as trailing fees. Training compensation is paid to the players junior clubs for the first 2 contracts they sign, which helps the junior clubs iimprove facilities and develop more players. Then, of the transfer fee, 10% is then split up on a similar basis, 10% goes to the governing body of where the contract was signed, in this case, the nrl, and then 80% goes to the club selling the player.

Under this system, an A-league club got more than 1,000,000 for transferring a player to a South Korean club this year. If they'd sold him at year end, they would have gotten nothing, and lost one of their best players.

This is way more equitable than the current nrl system of a player leaving at year end, or mid season, and the club that developed him getting nothing.

I know the system doesn't render the player powerless. When Ronaldo wanted to leave Man U for La Liga, there was little they could do.

At the moment though, players are signing with new clubs with over 12 months to go on their current contract. Was it Maloney that the Rooters signed ?

Just seems like we are at the mercy of what a player decides to do (and I don't like it).

Transfer windows really need to be brought in. Twice a year, once mid season, during origin and all that stuff, and once after the grand final. As per the soccer, agents and clubs can approach eachother for moves or new deals, but no players can make moves or sign contracts to move to new clubs outside that window, if they are under contract. Resigning can happen whenever players and clubs like. Have a 4 week window mid season, so clubs can move on significant injuries, and a six week window at the end of season.

It just makes sense. And all though most deals will probably be sorted or hand shake deals outside of the windows, nothing will be official outside of that window, and the club realistically has the best chance andlargest windows to retain their players.

The point I was trying to make is that the player is more in control then the club in the EPL, have a look at some of the big transfers that have happened in recent times.

Would the Gunners really have wanted to lose Fabregas?

With all the contract clauses and the like it just adds another layer of complexity to the situations while still allowing all the transfers that happen in the NRL to happen, since all the NRL transfers occur at the end of contracts or when the club and player come to an agreement to waive the last years of a contract. If you introduced the EPL system you would see more transfers not less, as players would seek to have clauses introduced that allowed them to automatically have bids accepted if they were over a certain pay rate. The result would be an inability of clubs to lock young players into long term contracts. The situation where we had to renegotiate with DCE would become the norm, and newly minted stars would be making their name at a club and them leaving to take the pay on offer at clubs like Parra, or the Dogs who are willing to throw the house at them.

I agree something should be done. The part of the EPL system that could work would be a transfer window, and a rule that prevents players from negotiating with other parties until they are into their last 6 months in their current contract.

Players signing elsewhere with a year and a half to go is a huge issue.

The players are always going to be in more control of the situation than the clubs though, it's up to them whether they want to pen the contracts or not & thats the way it should be.

The only system I can think of that restricts the players somewhat is the NFL system where a player must spend so many years in the league (I think it's 4 years under the new CBA) before they can hit the market as an unrestricted free agent - the year before that teams need to give up a draft pick to the owning team in order to sign the player & the owning team has the chance to match whatever offer is given.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8