ensure its not a waste

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
So G Stewart is gone and its heartbreaking, but we need to ensure its not for nothing by securing Buhrer, JSL, T Trjbovic and Gutherson

Now on Jake Trjbovic, can anyone confirm if he is locked up or not because I remember someone mentioning he had a 3 year deal but then I still often see him being referred to as off contract?

If the money wasn't there for Gifty what makes everyone assume it's there to sign up others ??

If the money was there for Woods.....

I'm assuming it wasn't a case of one or the other my thoughts are we were trying to work on fitting everyone in and now thats not a worry

If you believe what's on Zero tackle

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/teams/manly-sea-eagles/

It's a sad state of affairs for sport when almost all the angst is caused by discussing player salaries/movements mid season, and refereeing blunders.
Very little attention is paid to the actual sport.
Professionalism? It's been a curse.

Disco said:

I'm assuming it wasn't a case of one or the other my thoughts are we were trying to work on fitting everyone in and now thats not a worry

Woods' offer was last year if I'm not mistaken. That money has since been used elsewhere.

I assume that Gifty's departure will free up some cash, no doubt about that. But whether it is a significant amount remains to be seen, if we splash around $6-$700 K now on others then you'd have to wonder why that wasn't used to retain Glenn.

susan said:
Yes Who- 5 or 6 thrillers on the weekend and all we hear about is video refs.

The focus is always on things other than the game because the game as a sport has become boring. Every team does the same sweeping moves, every team wrestles, every team plays conservative risk-free footy, every team is boring. If manly weren't involved I'd have zero interest in it. The game in the 80s and early 90s was exciting. It was rugby league. Sure there were some close games this weekend just gone, but it was only the closeness of the scores that made them exciting to watch, not the brand of football played. I started following league when I was young because I loved it as a sport. If I was younger and only introduced to it now, I doubt it would interest me much. The totally incompetent referees, the TV schedule which favours certain teams, the disregard for player loyalty shown by the NRL, the wrestle, the rule changes that weren't needed when nothing needed to be fixed. As I said, I love Manly. I can't say love modern day rugby league. It wouldn't bother me if the whole game died, manly included. But I would hate for the game to continue without the sea eagles. If it wasn't for Manly, I'd have no interest.

I can fully see your point there @bones.
Results are an absolute lucky dip in at least 50% of games now; all based on refereeing and their moods and interpretations on the day.

As for zero tackle @Frogz....all the question marks on their page are the biggest clue...lol.

I'm sure Hasson and Jake T announced extensions not long ago.

Hope so, of course.

bones said:
susan said:
Yes Who- 5 or 6 thrillers on the weekend and all we hear about is video refs.

The focus is always on things other than the game because the game as a sport has become boring. Every team does the same sweeping moves, every team wrestles, every team plays conservative risk-free footy, every team is boring. If manly weren't involved I'd have zero interest in it. The game in the 80s and early 90s was exciting. It was rugby league. Sure there were some close games this weekend just gone, but it was only the closeness of the scores that made them exciting to watch, not the brand of football played. I started following league when I was young because I loved it as a sport. If I was younger and only introduced to it now, I doubt it would interest me much. The totally incompetent referees, the TV schedule which favours certain teams, the disregard for player loyalty shown by the NRL, the wrestle, the rule changes that weren't needed when nothing needed to be fixed. As I said, I love Manly. I can't say love modern day rugby league. It wouldn't bother me if the whole game died, manly included. But I would hate for the game to continue without the sea eagles. If it wasn't for Manly, I'd have no interest.

Hear hear!

The game is a shadow if it's former self as an entertainment.
I am the same, I pretty much only like to watch Manly now. The rest of the teams just play the same football back and forth. With the exception of Parra and Bulldogs, they are all the same.

Because it was the long weekend I chose to watch some of the Penrith-Gold Coast game wow what a bore that was. I feel sorry for the supporters watching that rubbish.

Explains why crowds are down. People are simply too busy to watch an ordinarily structure game paying 50 dollars plus and hacking all around our public transport system.

The drama and creativity is gone. It's just ball security and playing the percentages. The lack of shoulder charge and 10 metre rule has done a lot of harm.

NYEagle

Imagine me, following the game and the Sea Eagles since 1963.

Oh sure the modern game is faster, and at time more exciting BUT as it stands in 2014 if it wasn't for the Eagles I too could walk away.

20 years ago I probably watched every game shown on TV (no Pay-TV then so 3 games a week), a decade ago I probably watched Friday, couple on Saturday and probably two on Sunday.

Now (and especially living in Brisbane), my wife and I go out with friends on Friday night, and even if Manly play I'll just record it and watch it if we win (cutting out all the advertisments by recording it on Fox when shown after midnight), and I wouldn't bother watching another game all weekend.

Having only one TV in the house the Monday night rule is " If Manly is playing it's mine, if not its yours darling".

The refereeing, the scheduling, the TV broadcast (don't start me on Chan 9) are just some of the reasons why I am disillusioned with the game at present.

If for any reason Manly were to fold that would be it for me, I'd probably watch SOO and little else.

Disco said:
Now on Jake Trjbovic, can anyone confirm if he is locked up or not because I remember someone mentioning he had a 3 year deal but then I still often see him being referred to as off contract?

I hate to say this but on the Panthers forum (and I only know this as my son in law is a supporter) they say the exit of Grant has allowed the signing of exciting Manly junior Jake T.

I sincerely hope that's incorrect, and please take this as no more than a posting on another clubs supporters forum.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I hate to say this but on the Panthers forum (and I only know this as my son in law is a supporter) they say the exit of Grant has allowed the signing of exciting Manly junior Jake T.
If it's on a fan forum that just about clinches it!

Chip and Chase said:
Disco said:

Woods' offer was last year if I'm not mistaken. That money has since been used elsewhere.

I assume that Gifty's departure will free up some cash, no doubt about that. But whether it is a significant amount remains to be seen, if we splash around $6-$700 K now on others then you'd have to wonder why that wasn't used to retain Glenn.

Woods offer was for next season, ill chase up an article a bit later.

I have not doubt we still have 700k+ to spend and 5-7 places to fill in next years roster.

But the equation was likely Stewart on 400k and then 4 or 5 minimum wagers or buhrer on 250k jake on 200k etc etc

Disco said:

Woods said that he was never coming to Manly and that the reports of him owning a house in Narrabeen were completely false.

Firstly I dont live in the west so its the Herald for me but what a silly argument.

It was widely reported across all media from commentators, panel shows, papers etc etc.

Now numbers etc may not be correct but we can certainly believe that Manly had an interest.

Unless you are implying that media at all levels and footy personalities across the game have gotten together to create a baseless rumour......and to what effect? And why no denials from any party involved?

Anyhow the Woods discussion in a tangent, the point is that Manly were at least attempting to put something together for Glenn so clearly there is a least a little money to contribute to tying up other players

Who knows what is true.

With a quick look at facebook you can see idiots abroad posting "fact" that we offered 100K and he signed for 350K through to we had 400K and he signed for 800K for each year.

but everybody knows someone who knows someone whose neighbor used to deliver the paper to the cousin of Penn's executive assistant etc etc.

I even read that Manly are going to pay 50K to help souffs out.

Disco said:
Firstly I dont live in the west so its the Herald for me but what a silly argument.

It was widely reported across all media from commentators, panel shows, papers etc etc.

Now numbers etc may not be correct but we can certainly believe that Manly had an interest.

Unless you are implying that media at all levels and footy personalities across the game have gotten together to create a baseless rumour......and to what effect? And why no denials from any party involved?

Anyhow the Woods discussion in a tangent, the point is that Manly were at least attempting to put something together for Glenn so clearly there is a least a little money to contribute to tying up other players

Absolutely. That's why both Stewart brothers are playing for Canberra next year.

And he did deny it.

Chip and Chase said:
If the money wasn't there for Gifty what makes everyone assume it's there to sign up others ??

The money was there for Gift. Manly couldn't offer him a contract that the NRL would register as they valued him at an exorbitant amount. From what I understand he was willing to accept less than this to stay but the NRL wouldn't register the contract so our hands were tied.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6