Enjoy beating slimes Eels but ....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Quite true that Manly is far from a finished product, but how many of us tipped that after 8 Rounds we’d only have only 2 losses?

This is more impressive because of which sides we’ve been up against.

Plus - in every game Manly has played so far the opposition has been ‘up’ for the fight.

Souths, Roosters, Panthers Warriors and Eels at Commbank were all huge games. Dragons were coming off 2 floggings and they were totally fired up against Manly, ditto the Titans, pretty much playing for their season, as were the Eels yesterday.

A far better start than I’d dared to expect (and I’m usually very optimistic about Manly winning!)
God help the first team that doesn’t show up against us!

You know , despite all that’s been mentioned we keep winning.

Everyone’s talking about defence , or the lack of it , but the games not stuck in 1994 any more , it’s 2024 and 30 years later we have a bunch of new rules in place.

This 6 again bull**** ( I absolutely hate it ) creates enormous pressure on the defending team , and even the Storm / Panthers can’t defend when the opposition gets 18 straight tackles against them.

So maybe we ( as in Silvertails ) should start to worry less about the defence they are doing and more about celebrating these come from behind wins , and the ability to almost score at will when we get to their red zone.

We’ve won 6/8, I had us 2 from 8, maybe 3 before kickoff.

We are third ( will be back to 5th) on the ladder and every team in front of us has had their 2 points added in for a bye.

Add our bye in and we are firmly in the top 4.

If you can’t celebrate that you’re just a grump.

Don’t know about garrick on the wing guys i can see him constantly coming in to far & exposing the wing.Maybe it just needs communication between dce,garrick,& saab when the play is heading that way.

This 6 again bull**** ( I absolutely hate it ) creates enormous pressure on the defending team , and even the Storm / Panthers can’t defend when the opposition gets 18 straight tackles against them.
100% with you.

This 'six again' was meant to replace the referee giving a penalty. You can't tell me that every 'six again' in 2024 would have been a penalty in past seasons. The referees are over cooking things again, as usual. You ask them to paint your house window frames blue and they paint the whole house yellow. They can't help themselves.

One reason rugby league got so popular was because as a fan you could actually see and know what was going on, what the referee's decisions were for. Same as in soccer or AFL. In RU a lot of the time you have to have faith and just move on as you have no idea what the penalty was for.

Now the NRL has this same problem with 'six agains'. We fans of NRL have no idea why the referee has called a 'six again', especially at the ground as you probably don't even know the set has restarted.

Some observations I’ve made (just opinions):
- the problem on our right edge is DCE and Garrick not communicating. Saab is just collateral damage. Daly has to hold on the lead runner (he absolutely has to). But when peels off, he needs to scream for Garrick to either stay out or hit in. Garrick’s in two minds whether to hold and support Daly with the lead runner or stay out on his man. Get these two communicating/trusting each other, and we solve the problem. Tries will still be scored by great play now and then, but it won’t leak like a sieve.

- The Eels ran harder and tackled harder for the first 40-50 minutes of the game last night. But we had another gear and once we began dominating through contact in defence, they couldn’t go with us. It’s like a switch was flicked and we suddenly began playing with more intent and a better attitude to compete.

- we did very well to manage Haumole’s 10 in the bin, in a way that didn’t drain our energy stores.

- looking at the players at the ground, they are noticeably looking bigger, stronger but leaner than they have in previous years. Turbo actually has calf muscles now. This John Clarke is doing a fine job.

Last edited:
Some observations I’ve made (just opinions):
- the problem on our right edge is DCE and Garrick not communicating. Saab is just collateral damage. Daly has to hold on the lead runner (he absolutely has to). But when peels off, he needs to scream for Garrick to either stay out or hit in. Garrick’s in two minds whether to hold and support Daly with the lead runner or stay out on his man. Get these two communicating/trusting each other, and we solve the problem. Tries will still be scored by great play now and then, but it won’t leak like a sieve.

- The Eels ran harder and tackled harder for the first 40-50 minutes of the game last night. But we had another gear and once we began dominating through contact in defence, they couldn’t go with us. It’s like a switch was flicked and we suddenly began playing with more intent and a better attitude to compete.

- we did very well to manage Haumole’s 10 in the bin, in a way that didn’t drain our energy stores.

- looking at the players at the ground, they are noticeably looking bigger, stronger but leaner than they have in previous years. Turbo actually has calf muscles now. This John Clarke is doing a fine job.
Very well said , they are a completely different team to recent years.

Still some issues to fix , nevertheless, last years team would be 2/8 now not 6/8.

Get what
100% with you.

This 'six again' was meant to replace the referee giving a penalty. You can't tell me that every 'six again' in 2024 would have been a penalty in past seasons. The referees are over cooking things again, as usual. You ask them to paint your house window frames blue and they paint the whole house yellow. They can't help themselves.

One reason rugby league got so popular was because as a fan you could actually see and know what was going on, what the referee's decisions were for. Same as in soccer or AFL. In RU a lot of the time you have to have faith and just move on as you have no idea what the penalty was for.

Now the NRL has this same problem with 'six agains'. We fans of NRL have no idea why the referee has called a 'six again', especially at the ground as you probably don't even know the set has restarted.
Get what you are saying but what hurts more is the timing of the penalties or six agains. seems we get stung on tackle 4 or 5 and that kills.

"Hallelujah"!!!
What a Wonderful Blessing in Disguise this could turn out to be .
We have learned to be able to win Ugly
and this is our opportunity to prove that we can also win Tough
Bring on Adversary
and Bring on the Tough Manly Sea eagles
1714182826448.png

We should contest the grading for both of them, no way was it a grade 2, Haumole already got 10 in the bin and to be honest DCE was more at fault in the tackle. Lane went off but he came back on so it wasn’t that dangerous

100% with you.

"ruck infringement" seems the go to call and feels like 95% of the indescretions. More like a cop out in transperancy.

To be fair, only Melbourne and Penrith have been strong in defence for the majority of their matches. It seems that attack is taking precedence over defence this season, and to win a match you need to score more points than the opposition. The six-agains do play a part in making extra hard for defences and certain refs are whistle-happy.
But, yes, it would be more comforting to we fans if we could stop leaking so many points.
Interesting that you mention about certain refs being whistle happy. I wonder if anyone has ever done stats for points per game per referee to see if this has a bearing or if it's just us fans perception. Do teams play in a certain way depending on the referee?

An issue I see across the park is we have ineffective first contact. Too often we are allowing an offload or quick play the ball. Parramatta in the first game, and at times in the second, tore us apart with offloads. We seem to be standing off in defense looking to wrap up the ball, but the first contact is just getting pushed off. The first contact has to have some sting about it, then the second and third defenders wrap up the ball. Parramatta had a period in the second game where they offloaded at will and got a real roll on. Finally, Croker put a shot on and won the tackle, and the ball was knocked on from the next pass as it disrupted the momentum. From there, we were quiet expansive in attack, even in our own half. When they did finally get some more possession, they looked tired and were just plodding up and were easy pickings.

We need to get more consistent in winning that initial contact IMO. Jake and Croker do it pretty well, but not many others.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8