Empty stadium vs sold out suburban grounds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
All the focus on how stupid it is to play regular season matches at ANZ can only be a good thing for Brookie Oval. Perhaps the people in power will realise that rugby league on suburban grounds creates the right look, feel and tribalism to maintain the sport's popularity and they will stop with the push into large, soulless caverns.

....NRL officials were yesterday attempting to downplay the worst round one crowds in a decade with critics blaming venue scheduling, pricing and poor service after Brookvale Oval ran out of beer not long after kick-off......

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/the-nrl-has-downplayed-poor-crowd-figures-by-claiming-games-will-average-20000-by-2017/story-e6frf3ou-1226850745729

wtf? This seems a bit harsh seeing as brookie looked fine and anz was empty.

Where's the outrage?!

globaleagle said:
....NRL officials were yesterday attempting to downplay the worst round one crowds in a decade with critics blaming venue scheduling, pricing and poor service after Brookvale Oval ran out of beer not long after kick-off......

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/the-nrl-has-downplayed-poor-crowd-figures-by-claiming-games-will-average-20000-by-2017/story-e6frf3ou-1226850745729

Where's the outrage?!

Outrage would be at this inane spin by the NRL.:mad:

For Brookie Fans to know there was a beer shortage - THEY WOULD ALREADY HAVE PAID TO BE IN BROOKIE - so already part of the Crowd figures :exclamation:

I think they are disenfranchising so many long term Fans, that the decay in attendance will increase at a rapid rate.

Case in point with Manly and Supporter Buses - short term savings for reduced Membership take up :cool:

Smith and Greenturd are quickly ruining the game...their strategies are all wrong...They don't have the fans in mind at all.

The Roosters v Souths game moving to ANZ was one of the most idiotic decisions ever!!!

I think some lessons can be learned from other sports and other countries. Who would think that Major League Soccer, in the United States, would be the 10th best attended soccer league in the world, with avereage crowds better than countries like Brazil and Japan where soccer is no. 1, and populations are huge.

About 10 years ago, the MLS had poor crowds and no interest, they brought in marquees like Beckham, etc, but found that it was basically a circus sideshow and didn't make long lasting fans. Their biggest positive is stadiums, their next move...

Most of the MLS clubs are owned by billionaires who built purpose built stadiums, ranging from 18K to 28K, (with the exception of LA Galaxay (Beckham) and maybe 1 or 2 others that play in larger stadiums.

What this does is create a scarcity. If you know you aren't guaranteed a ticket every game unless you become a member, you often won't become a member. If it looks like rain, you'll just say stuff it, i'll watch from home, and not buy a ticket to the game. If you're a ticketed member, you've already paid for your seat, you're more likely to attend. That way, you boost memberships, and you boost average crowds. The clubs benefit. Ratings benefit as it looks better on TV as well.

I think the NRL are very wrong with their "big stadium" push. You know you can get a ticket to a game at Allainz or ANZ whenever you want. Why get it in advance? And don't simply think of the population size of the US is the reason for bigger crowds. The US population spread is so much more diverse than us, we've got about 3/4 of our population in NSW and VIC and 3/4 of our teams in NSW. There's multiple 'derbies' every week in Sydney. MLS in the US has only 1 city with 2 teams (LA), and only this year will New York get a 2nd team.

Food for thought...

Disco said:
The Roosters v Souths game moving to ANZ was one of the most idiotic decisions ever!!!
It was Souths home game and ANZ is their home now.
Thursday night was a killer time slot.

Tigers couldn't play at SFS due to ALeague

Broncos should have been at Suncorp.

Qld need to have a game a week at least.
The delayed broadcast was insane :cool:

Nine programming is running the NRL :s

BiVVf82CMAAze-9.jpg

https://twitter.com/STG_MACCA/status/442854145922310144

globaleagle said:

Where's the outrage?!

Outrage, what a look of croc to say running out of beer is a bad look.
The game goes for 80 mins so how many midstrength beers do you want in that time? It's a pretty good effort really.
Isn't it better that Brookie ran out of beer than a stadium that didn't because it was only at a quarter of capacity or less?

It's not just where the games are it's when. Brookie was a Saturday night game after a beautiful sunny afternoon so I could safely assume that a decent crowd was there for most of the arvo. It's not like everyone rocked up at 6.30 and then they ran out of beer.
Thursday night at ANZ, I suspect most people would've got there from 7.00 onwards and we're rushing to their seats.

eagles2win said:
It was only slightly down from last year.

This is just agenda driven drivel from two gronks (Buzz and Kent)

Just wait to see how many turn up at Gosford this Friday. I'm tipping it will be less than 12,000. Not that I trust the 'official' crowd count these days.
I just can't see how many Manly fans will be able to get to the game.

Sadly, Manly gifted their home ground advantage to the Rabbids :huh:

The weather is meant to be stormy to boot :s

Hope that ball security was a major aspect of training this week.

The Who said:
The NRL can't have it both ways; you either give the TV networks what they want or you give the fans what we want. Because we are told rugby league is a 'business' we fans are no longer important. Getting people to watch from their loungerooms is more lucrative to the NRL than getting us to the games.

If the NRL really cared about us they would stop scheduling virtually all matches in the evening. They would abandon Monday night football, which is a disaster for everyone except those with Foxtell. The weekend is over yet the round is still not completed. That's ludicrous.

The standard of football improves in daylight. People want to watch football in daylight. There should only be one night match - Friday night. The rest should start between 2pm and 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.

So, NRL, don't give us this crap that you care about live crowds. You have sold out to TV. You are to blame! It will only get worse as you hike up admission prices and force fans to watch their local teams from non-local venues.

Be very careful The Who. Sensible, lucid and logical posts like this will get you banned.

In the case of the soccer on the weekend, you can't make a fair comparison. This was the Sydney derby.....Sydney FC v WSW. It will sell out every time. When it's played at Parramatta Stadium, there is no point trying to get a ticket....they all go to members.

At a regular season match, Sydney FC will get between 10 and 15K....maybe 20K when they play Melbourne Victory.

If Nein got their way, every match would be at Allianz or ANZ. Then they would just leave all their gear there, instead of packing and unpacking it after every match.

The Who said:
eagles2win said:
It was only slightly down from last year.

This is just agenda driven drivel from two gronks (Buzz and Kent)

Just wait to see how many turn up at Gosford this Friday. I'm tipping it will be less than 12,000. Not that I trust the 'official' crowd count these days.
I just can't see how many Manly fans will be able to get to the game.

You may be right. I'm leaving the CBD at 4pm to ensure it's not a rushed trip. I guess a crowd of around 16,000 would be a pass mark. I expect plenty of Bunnies fans may now go after their good start to the season.

We got 20,510 to the Manly v Souths game at Brookie last year. Our 2 games at Gosford were 12,090 v the Warriors & 11,758 v the Tigers.

A crowd of a around 13,000 would probably get us the same profit as a crowd of around 19,000 at Brookie

Maybe @MWSEMembership could give us an update on how ticket sales are going?

ManlyArmy said:
A crowd of a around 13,000 would probably get us the same profit as a crowd of around 19,000 at Brookie

Maybe @MWSEMembership could give us an update on how ticket sales are going?

Agreed, the dynamics are different for these away from home games. Everyone coming through the gate (Premium Next Gen members aside) are paying to get in. Plus I assume we aren't playing for ground hire like we do at Brookie.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4