Egan Quits

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Treasure Egan quits politics

January 18, 2005

NSW Treasurer Michael Egan will quit the position later this week and also plans to resign from state parliament.

"Later this week I will be retiring as treasurer of NSW, minister for state development, leader of the government in the Legislative Council and vice-president of the Executive Council," Mr Egan said this afternoon.

Mr Egan said he would also resign from the Legislative Council, the state's upper house, in the near future.

The 56-year-old former union official and political adviser has been treasurer since the Carr Labor government came to power in 1995.

Mr Egan is the longest serving NSW treasurer since parliamentary democracy was introduced in the state in 1856.

Mr Egan said 35 years in political life was long enough.

He said he wanted to give his successor time to settle into the treasury position ahead of the 2007 state election.

"After 35 years of political combat, I think it's time for me to retire," Mr Egan said.

"Thirty five years is a long time, and if I didn't take it now, the next opportunity would be in four years.

"I think it's important that my successor have the opportunity to show his or her wares before the next election and have a couple of budgets under his or her belt."

AAP

What a shame.....maybe the labor gov't will start spending money on critical services....except on teachers! :oops:

They were more than ready to run a country a few months back. I wonder whats happened. :?

I wonder if Egan has quit so he can be Ian Roberts' dancing partner in Dancing with the stars?

Byso, do you reckon I should run on a platform of bringing accountability to areas where poor management is rife?

Perhaps just bring accountability full stop. Somthing that both parties seriously need.

I wonder if Egan has quit so he can be Ian Roberts' dancing partner in Dancing with the stars?

Byso, do you reckon I should run on a platform of bringing accountability to areas where poor management is rife?

Absolutely......just don't include the Manly RLFC :wink:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4