Post-Game Discussion Eels v Manly [Round 3, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Eels
Vs
Sea Eagles
28 CommBank Stadium
24 Mar 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Nah, our wingers were crap. If I see another winger rushing in to stop a center I will scream, or do something worse. Over the last 3 years how many tries do we give up. WTF!

We lost that game because we didn't shut down offloads, we pushed passes, and our defense made stupid play late in the tackle count.

In the passion of the game some of our forward make STUPID decisions.

In hindsight when we got that penalty at 14-0 up infront of the posts we should of taken the 2 , and go 16-0 up , instead Ben T makes a mistake a few minutes later and all of a sudden its 14-6 and never really revocered, Paulo got found out .... If i was Seibs i would of weileded the Hook straight after Harper scored... Would of put Garrick to Wing , Ben Trbojevic at Centre... Some of the calls didn't help , but we got gassed in the end with all the penalties the no try was an atrocious call

One thing I noticed early in the game today, is that Parramatta had very obviously practiced set-plays based around their halves lobbing a long ball straight out to the winger, after drawing the Manly centre and winger out, to make them rush in

The first couple times Parramatta unsuccessfully tried the cut out ball from the half straight to the winger, when the Manly edges rushed in, it seemed like they were expecting it

When they returned to it, more successfully, it became very obvious that this was something they had likely done video on, practiced and prepared for

Was Manlys edge defense pushing up like this consistently (successfully) in the first 2 games? I watched the games, but I didn't pay attention to plays/structure

How Parra exploited the defense trying to close out the winger could be a big problem for Manly going forward, if they don't adjust their edges quickly

Why shouldn't we expect to? And I don't mean by the moronic bogan slime supporters, just by the officials on the field, that's all that should be expected for any team playing in the the nrl, regardless of the venue.
Human nature I guess… refs are people and people are flawed…
You (we) can expect it all we like but the reality is that (generally) you get more calls on your home ground than you do away (especially at a parochial ground like Bankwest - probs why we have now lost 5 of 6 games there)…
I agree, utopia sounds lovely, but
people scream at the refs for the simple fact that it often influences their interpretation…

One thing I noticed early in the game today, is that Parramatta had very obviously practiced set-plays based around their halves lobbing a long ball straight out to the winger, after drawing the Manly centre and winger out, to make them rush in

The first couple times Parramatta unsuccessfully tried the cut out ball from the half straight to the winger, when the Manly edges rushed in, it seemed like they were expecting it

When they returned to it, more successfully, it became very obvious that this was something they had likely done video on, practiced and prepared for

Was Manlys edge defense pushing up like this consistently (successfully) in the first 2 games? I watched the games, but I didn't pay attention to plays/structure

How Parra exploited the defense trying to close out the winger could be a big problem for Manly going forward, if they don't adjust their edges quickly
Yeah I could not believe we got caught out with that so early in the second half after Parra had tried it twice and failed in the first half (both would have been tries with a good pass)…
That was either a failure by our coaches or p*ss poor listening by Garrick and Paulo…

Human nature I guess… refs are people and people are flawed…
You (we) can expect it all we like but the reality is that (generally) you get more calls on your home ground than you do away (especially at a parochial ground like Bankwest - probs why we have now lost 5 of 6 games there)…
I agree, utopia sounds lovely, but
people scream at the refs for the simple fact that it often influences their interpretation…
I understand what you are saying feathered friend @frank stokes
The fact is as you say , the refs are flawed

Another fact is ....
Our Great Manly Premiership Winning teams beat both the opposition and the refs
All the way to Grand final winning day

No excuses

I understand what you are saying feathered friend @frank stokes
The fact is as you say , the refs are flawed

Another fact is ....
Our Great Manly Premiership Winning teams beat both the opposition and the refs
All the way to Grand final winning day

No excuses
No doubt… you are never going to get all the calls @BOZO…
Unless you have Scam Smith in your team… 🤣

No doubt… you are never going to get all the calls @BOZO…
Unless you have Scam Smith in your team… 🤣
Our Glorious Grand Final Manly Winning teams did not need Scam Smith to beat both the opposition and the refs
We did it the MANLY WAY !

When the 6 agains and penalties started to go against Manly, Phil Gould made the comment that "Referees don't like it when one team starts to dominate the game"

The penalties were given at the wrong end of the field and at a time in the game that had an adverse effect on Manly's energy levels.
Manly spent a lot of time coming out of their end of the field.
Considering the bias refereeing, Manly did very well to only 'lose' by 4 points.

Did somebody mention the disallowed try, for obstruction.
Once again the voice of reason, Phil Gould, was genuinely outraged and disgusted by the decision.

On a separate point, people don't like others that are either smarter or better looking than they are.
On matters of Rugby League, Phil Gould is correct 99.9% of the time.

I've been watching Rugby League since the 60's, and I've noticed that referees start to favour one team when their opposition is winning the game and dominating.
Whether it is a conscious decision or not is a question for a team of psychologists.

Go Manly!!!!!!!!!

Manly fans and keen observers will remember the Refereeing 'blunders' in the 2013 GF.
Even Roosters fans I've spoken to about the 2013 GF admit that their were a lot of errors in their favour.
It makes you wonder where the 'officials' were looking when the incidences occured.
Were they contemplating their navels or thinking about what they were going to have for dinner??

There needs to be an investigation............

Go Manly!!!!!!

Manly fans and keen observers will remember the Refereeing 'blunders' in the 2013 GF.
Even Roosters fans I've spoken to about the 2013 GF admit that their were a lot of errors in their favour.
It makes you wonder where the 'officials' were looking when the incidences occured.
Were they contemplating their navels or thinking about what they were going to have for dinner??

There needs to be an investigation............

Go Manly!!!!!!
100% correct. i was there in 2013 and that game was even more frustrating to watch than todays game.

Well...

It shows Manly still has work to do.

Even a brilliant start can fall in a heap.

And it also shows, the bunker morons have work to do as well. But I just assume they did it 'very well' yesterday according to nrl hq.

Nrl admin seems to be the only admin in professional sport that don't understand that as soon as you bring in a new rule...coaches and players get straight into finding and exploiting loopholes.
And the refs fall for it every time.

That no try 'jake' call was everything that is wrong with the admin/officials/bunker.

Still a 2/3 start isn't all bad.

Let’s hope they are consistent, can of worms this rule for me though..

BUNKER GETS IT RIGHT

Sorry Manly fans, it wasn’t a try.

The rules are clear that if a decoy runner stops in the defensive line then it is an obstruction.

It’s point A in the NRL’s laws and interpretation around obstruction.

Sadly there isn’t any common sense in rugby league when it comes to the bunker.

It’s either black or white and Jake Trbojevic stopped in the line, impeding Parramatta’s Luca Moretti. Moretti was buggered and wouldn’t have gotten near a runaway Tom Trbojevic but that doesn’t matter. Tom cut back through the hole created by Jake.

Jake’s decision simply gave the bunker a chance to intervene and deny the try.

And that’s exactly what they did. Decoy runners are told to either stop short or push through the defensive line. The decision ruined Manly’s comeback but, when you peel back all the motion, it was the correct call.

The obstruction call in the Parramatta-Manly game. Picture: Fox League

The obstruction call in the Parramatta-Manly game.

That line's as crooked as the refs/bunker

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8