Edwin Ipape can play

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Going through his original thread, he must be one of the super duper rare players that didn't get bagged on here when signings were mentioned. Most were enthusiastic.

Of course back then it was a train and trial (I think) so who knows what would've gone down if he was signed to the top 30. lol
He was in the Development Squad in 2020 (as opposed to train & trial...not sure of the difference) until released in May and returned to PNG to be with his family. If my memory's correct, he had a knee injury and was missing his family. I think his leaving was a combination of Des not giving him much of a go, injury and homesick.

OK has only played one game for PNG in the World Cup but I wouldn't mind him returning to Manly and given another go, at least as a back-up hooker.

We had him in 2020 but let him go early and had Danny Levi there for the year. Don't know if anyone watched England/Samoa but Levi is even worse than I remembered him.

Ipape would be fantastic if he was willing to come back to us, was great in the game this morning but also scored 23 tries in 27 games for Leigh who were promoted to the Super League. Need to start looking outside the box at hooker because another year of Croker sounds dire
And he wouldn't cost a fortune either

C’mon @Nordburg , @maxta s doing his best to unearth some much needed positivity on here. Can’t you just give us a small nugget of hope…plz.@:D
I’m just doing my best to unearth some much needed intelligence on here(not that I’m implying Ipape is a ridiculous suggestion,probably one of the more sensible proposals ST’s has had in a while)

Going through his original thread, he must be one of the super duper rare players that didn't get bagged on here when signings were mentioned. Most were enthusiastic.

Of course back then it was a train and trial (I think) so who knows what would've gone down if he was signed to the top 30. lol
It’s rare for the silver-tongues of the silver-tails to show a ‘wait and see‘ approach. We‘re not known for our patience, we get bored too easily :tonguewink:

He was in the Development Squad in 2020 (as opposed to train & trial...not sure of the difference) until released in May and returned to PNG to be with his family. If my memory's correct, he had a knee injury and was missing his family. I think his leaving was a combination of Des not giving him much of a go, injury and homesick.
Back then the comp had been suspended after only 2 rounds due to Covid 19, and I think he'd left before it even started up again (31 May).
It would be great if we could get him back somehow. He'd cost more now of course and he may be settled happily in England anyway.

Afaik, this is the reason Manly trialled Ipape in 2020

This spectacular try was against a star studded National English team and he made them all look ordinary

IPape was The one that got away from Des

Back then the comp had been suspended after only 2 rounds due to Covid 19, and I think he'd left before it even started up again (31 May).
It would be great if we could get him back somehow. He'd cost more now of course and he may be settled happily in England anyway.
We could have kept him as part of our squad like we did with the other players especially that we were short of hookers
But Des had his favourites and kept who he wanted

We could have kept him as part of our squad like we did with the other players especially that we were short of hookers
But Des had his favourites and kept who he wanted

Please ... it has been reported that he went home when co-vid struck to save himself being isolated from family ... Des had nothing to do with it ..

Ipape made his international debut for Papua New Guinea in their 24-6 defeat by Samoa in the 2019 Oceania Cup.[3][4] Ipape was on a train and trial contract with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles as part of their 2020 pre season.[5] He played two games for the Manly 9s team during the NRL 9s.[6] On 28 May 2022, Ipape played for Leigh in their 2022 RFL 1895 Cup final victory over Featherstone.[7] On 3 October 2022, Ipape played for Leigh in their Million Pound Game victory over Batley which saw the club promoted back to the Super League.[8]

A competitive Hooker with speed.
Well it's just 1 game.
But Tonga who are rated a force are a decent yardstick, stacked with some of the best NRL players in the game.
Looks a genuine threat from dummy half with speed and strength and can tackle.
Anyways, just 1 option from this World Cup who maybe worth a look.
He was bloody good in 2019 against the Poms too, before we got him on a train and trial and blew it by letting him go to England

Please ... it has been reported that he went home when co-vid struck to save himself being isolated from family ... Des had nothing to do with it ..

Yes Des had nothing to do with chasing the talented Ipape

Super league had some thing to do with him when they signed him after covid

Yes Des had nothing to do with chasing the talented Ipape

Super league had some thing to do with him when they signed him after covid
We could/should have offered him something for post Covid...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8