Dunley must go.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
why not release dumbley to the nrl scrap heap over in south sydney, we could save a few dollars for jamie lyon in '07

Fair dinkum. You guys ought to go and give yourselves a huge uppercut.

Can any of you guys think for yourself or do you all just jump on whichever bandwagon is passing,

Dunners missed two tackles associated with opposition breaks - but under what circumstances?

The first resulted from a HUGE gap in centre field which the player on the left hand side (Watmough I think) failed to make any effort to fill. Everyone noticed Dunley slip off the tackle because he was the one that made the effort to cover.

The second was open play and again Dunley was left by himself and was pushed off with a good fend by a talented attacking player.

Tackling is a team effort and there wasn't a team commitment in either of these instances.

A bit of perspective here. If it was up to you guys Benji wouldn't even make premier league and neither would Lockyer.

Then there's the whinges about him being sin-binned. Again the opposition had made a clean line-break and Dunley filled the hole making the try-saving tackle. Because the rest of the side was so slow getting reorganised Dunley was forced to hang on until the defence reset. The sin-binning was in the context of Manly pushing the referee's patience to the limit and a try being likely if he didn't hang on.

What is totally discounted is the cheap metres and fast play the balls he got.

He's the second best hooker in the club, and adds options to our attack that no-one else offers. I want Monners to have more game time too, but the comments here are over the top.

Last year similar hysteria forced Des' hand, weakening the cards he could play. Trust him to do his job.

Last year similar hysteria forced Des' hand, weakening the cards he could play. Trust him to do his job.

What hysteria?

You don't seriously mean that people's comments on this site last year made a difference to Des's choices - that's insane. Des's selections take no notice of whats going on here.

Maybe we're all making the same comments because it's true? Yes, Dunley does have some impact in attack. But, look as he goes across the line. The rest of the team have no idea what's doing as it's extremely hard to have some impact into the line when the passer of the ball is going sideways.

Then there is his defence. It's not a coincidence that both of those breaks came when Dunley was there. The team had been defending superbly before he came on. Then the holes were created. Also, the amount of stupid penalties he gives away- whether it's holding down on the tackler, putting in a forearm or spitting at them, he seems to have a variety that he uses each week. He loses many more metres in defence than he makes in attack. Ballin and Cuthbertson are way better choices for bench spots at the moment, until Dunley can remove the niggle in his game, then he could become a useful asset rather than a liability.

Fair dinkum. You guys ought to go and give yourselves a huge uppercut.

Can any of you guys think for yourself or do you all just jump on whichever bandwagon is passing,

Dunners missed two tackles associated with opposition breaks - but under what circumstances?

The first resulted from a HUGE gap in centre field which the player on the left hand side (Watmough I think) failed to make any effort to fill. Everyone noticed Dunley slip off the tackle because he was the one that made the effort to cover.

The second was open play and again Dunley was left by himself and was pushed off with a good fend by a talented attacking player.

Tackling is a team effort and there wasn't a team commitment in either of these instances.

A bit of perspective here. If it was up to you guys Benji wouldn't even make premier league and neither would Lockyer.

Then there's the whinges about him being sin-binned. Again the opposition had made a clean line-break and Dunley filled the hole making the try-saving tackle. Because the rest of the side was so slow getting reorganised Dunley was forced to hang on until the defence reset. The sin-binning was in the context of Manly pushing the referee's patience to the limit and a try being likely if he didn't hang on.

What is totally discounted is the cheap metres and fast play the balls he got.

He's the second best hooker in the club, and adds options to our attack that no-one else offers. I want Monners to have more game time too, but the comments here are over the top.

Are you seriuos? Dunley's sh!t defense was not anyone elses fault.
Although he only missed two tackles as you say, they were VITAL TACKLES - the players went straight through him. I dont know about you, but i would rather a player that can tackle and not get sent off.

Let me guess, you really believed Dunners when he said he has reflux last year? :roll:

"Yes, Dunley does have some impact in attack. "

At last a little bit of balance.

He does have an impact - especially on tiring defences. Have a look at the tackle after his run. Very often its a quick play the ball with the opposition on the back foot because he's elusive and fast. That's how the tigers won the premiership last year - by having a series of fast elusive players run up the centre of the ruck, with quick play the balls because the defence was grasping. That's how the cowboys do it too. Babies, bathwater. You may make the semis, but you won't win this premiership with a bunch of solid, reliable clones with good stats (of the Willow mould) and no variety and spark.

And you're not seriously placing all responsibility for those two breaks on Dunley - or are you? I'd be stunned - no devastated - if Des solely spoke to Dunners about those two breaks. e.g. I saw Travis pushed off several times in dangerous situations, but his supporting defenders covered for him - and rightly so. That's what should have happened to Dunners, too. That's what the best defences do - they cover for each other. Have a look at who didn't cover in those two instances -not just at the misses.

That's what the Tigers and NQ do with their smaller, faster men - they help them out.

Not saying Dunners is at the top of his game now, but the incessant pasting he's got here is ridiculous.

Des is not as dumb as you think. Time for group-think to stop, and an opposing view to be considered. Just maybe there's some truth to what I'm saying. Eh?

\"Yes, Dunley does have some impact in attack. \"

At last a little bit of balance.

He does have an impact - especially on tiring defences. Have a look at the tackle after his run. Very often its a quick play the ball with the opposition on the back foot because he's elusive and fast. That's how the tigers won the premiership last year - by having a series of fast elusive players run up the centre of the ruck, with quick play the balls because the defence was grasping. That's how the cowboys do it too. Babies, bathwater. You may make the semis, but you won't win this premiership with a bunch of solid, reliable clones with good stats (of the Willow mould) and no variety and spark.

And you're not seriously placing all responsibility for those two breaks on Dunley - or are you? I'd be stunned - no devastated - if Des solely spoke to Dunners about those two breaks. e.g. I saw Travis pushed off several times in dangerous situations, but his supporting defenders covered for him - and rightly so. That's what should have happened to Dunners, too. That's what the best defences do - they cover for each other. Have a look at who didn't cover in those two instances -not just at the misses.

That's what the Tigers and NQ do with their smaller, faster men - they help them out.

Not saying Dunners is at the top of his game now, but the incessant pasting he's got here is ridiculous.

Des is not as dumb as you think. Time for group-think to stop, and an opposing view to be considered. Just maybe there's some truth to what I'm saying. Eh?
Some excellent comments here Rexx and great to see someone not jumping on the 'Congaline'. What you say may have some substance. However a few seasons have convinced me that Dunners is an inconsistent defender, that he gives away too many penalties and that he doesn't link enough when running the ball. The Beaver try against the Sharks is a great example of his effectiveness and he is not without his merits. I don't think his form warrants 50 minutes versus 30 for Monas.

Balanced and well argued debate is welcome on this forum! Thanks. :clap:

As much as the argument against Dunley being in the team is strong, I suppose Rexx makes some good points. However I think the most frustrating thing is for one Dunley is 30 now, while one of what seems to be an extremely highly talented youngster sits in PL in Ballin, and in that case Cuthbo. So every penalty Dunley gives away, or tackle he misses, as much as people on this site won't admit it, comes under scrutiny as the likes of Burns, Ballin, Cuthbo have become favourites on here.

That being said, I really don't like Dunley and believe either Monaghan should be playing 80 minutes, or Cuthbo/Ballin/Rose should be getting a shot on the bench. IMO, as much as Dunley may have an impact, while Willow doesn't, guys like Rose and Cuthbo will have a more consistent impact.

Our team isn't like the Tigers, OR Cowboys, that doesn't mean we can't give the comp a shake. Much more of a traditional side, maybe in the mould if you want to make comparisons, of the Roosters in the early 2000's.

add cuthbo to the bench and closer to the bulldogs in my view - starts with big boppers then replace with more big boppers - never let up

fluffy

all the other lads tell me you are the supreme serial pest around the club and no-one can shake you off to enjoy a beverage post game.must you drag that same behaviour into cyberspace.Have some respect for yourself and others and confine yourself to the scout den you call home.

that army jerk rubbish you let fly with the other day suggests you may be the owner of a weapon.do us all a favour and slide a bullet into the chamber.........

I had been most impressed with Cuthbo too and find it difficult to believe that he's not on the bench.

As for Ballin, I can't comment. After the disgraceful, sickening treatment of loyal Manly supporters last year on the MSE forum, I've resolved to not do anything which directly provides even a dollar of revenue to Manly until I've got evidence that they've started treating supporters appropriately. So after more than 40 years of support, I haven't been to a single game since, nor have my family. Don't think my mates have gone since I told them I wouldn't be going. Anyway, my Foxtel's paying for itself now.

I hope Ballin is as good as you say.

As much as the argument against Dunley being in the team is strong, I suppose Rexx makes some good points. However I think the most frustrating thing is for one Dunley is 30 now, while one of what seems to be an extremely highly talented youngster sits in PL in Ballin, and in that case Cuthbo. So every penalty Dunley gives away, or tackle he misses, as much as people on this site won't admit it, comes under scrutiny as the likes of Burns, Ballin, Cuthbo have become favourites on here.

That being said, I really don't like Dunley and believe either Monaghan should be playing 80 minutes, or Cuthbo/Ballin/Rose should be getting a shot on the bench. IMO, as much as Dunley may have an impact, while Willow doesn't, guys like Rose and Cuthbo will have a more consistent impact.

Our team isn't like the Tigers, OR Cowboys, that doesn't mean we can't give the comp a shake. Much more of a traditional side, maybe in the mould if you want to make comparisons, of the Roosters in the early 2000's.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7