Dunley and the hooker position

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Robbo

Anyone think he can do it for 80 mins? Or will he share with Monnas?

Anyone else at the club that can play hooker apart from Willo??

He can do it for 80 mins but he will less effective. We really got on a roll at times when he came on after 20 mins or show last year. He has the ability to make plenty of yeards out of dummy half if he plays in short bursts.

Matt Ballin is a good young player, ex Aust schoolboy who can make the jump up in the next year of two.

Hooker is the least our our worries, I feel if Dunley starts it weakens our bench considerably. There is an old saying in sport "You don't weaken 1 position to strengthen another".

Darren Lockyer at 5/8 for the Broncos is a perfect example of that

ballin played with ash alberts in that side.

other players were creagh, simms

apart from willo, dunners, monas and ballin i think jp cherry and nathen hollingsworth are still floating around.

Also burns played hooker off the bench for 1 game in 05 - made 23 tackles and missed 1 from memory

It's hard to see Dunley and Monaghan's role together. You would think Monaghan is an 80 minute player, and if injured, Willow will slot in that position. I still think:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Paul Stephenson
03. Steven Bell
04. Ashley Alberts
05. Chris Hicks
06. Shayne Dunley
07. Matt Orford
08. Brent Kite
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Jason King
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Luke Williamson
15. Mark Bryant
16. Kylie Leuleuai
17. Adam Cuthbertson

might work, but everyone seemed to hate the idea of Dunners at 5/8. You could even drop Cuthbo off the bench, and put Ballin or Burns in as the utility, with Willow becoming the reserve 2nd rower in that case.

Dunley is not a 5/8, he would fail badly if given a shot there.

he should be used for impact from the bench or nothing at all imo.

I think that Dunley provides great impact because of his running game. I don't think he has a great passing game - he's ok from dummy half but he struggles with knowing when to dummy or pass after a little scamper. If he's on for extended periods that issue becomes highlighted.

I agree with Garts, bench or nothing. Hopefully we have more than 17 legitimate first graders (on form) which will leave Des with some flexibility in this area and make those that miss out keen to fight their way in.

Agree. I don't think that dunners has played much at 5/8 in the past couple of years. He doesn't seem to have any impact when he starts a game so dessie should start with Monas for the first 20 minutes and then bring Dunners on for the second part of the first half when the oppostion defence is tiring.

Monnas should also start the second half for about 15 minutes (depending on how he is going) and then bring Dunners back on for the last 25 minutes of the game.

The hooking role will be the most interesting position this season. Would love to know what the coaches have planned. Last season I was frustrated with Chad and couldn't wait to see dunners come off the bench, he really made an impact.

I also noticed how less effective he was once he was on for an extended period. It worked well with Chad doing the tackling and hard work until the game settled and Dunners coming on to find gaps in a tired defence.

Think much the same tactic will be employed this year but I just don't know if the whinger (Monnas) will accept not playing 80 minutes a week.

There was a massive spit at Parramatta when John Morris was made 5/8, as they were buying Riddell. Look how that turned out.
The Telegraph also suggested that when Dunley was coming back to Manly, that the fans were VERY dirty as they thought he & Morris were very similar players, but Dunley was the better of the two.

You just can't have Dunley / Monaghan / Willow all in the same team in my opinion.

Monaghan will be an 80 minute Hooker (possibly captain)
How much time will Dunley get?
Williamson HAS to step up as a second rower reserve now that Harris has gone.

I reckon give it a chance at least for 20 minutes in a trial.

[quote author=Garts]

There was a massive spit at Parramatta when John Morris was made 5/8, as they were buying Riddell. Look how that turned out.
The Telegraph also suggested that when Dunley was coming back to Manly, that the fans were VERY dirty as they thought he & Morris were very similar players, but Dunley was the better of the two.

You just can't have Dunley / Monaghan / Willow all in the same team in my opinion.

Monaghan will be an 80 minute Hooker (possibly captain)
How much time will Dunley get?
Williamson HAS to step up as a second rower reserve now that Harris has gone.

I reckon give it a chance at least for 20 minutes in a trial.
[/quote]

Morris was alway going to be better suited at 5/8 than Dunners!!! He played in the backs at Newcastle and had proven he could handle the role if given a shot.

Dunley is good at making quick ground from dummy half but if there is no hole he will just crab across field doing nothing. He just does not have the skills to be a 5/8!!!!

[quote author=Stevie]
Maybe we could Trial Mitch Creary as Hooker ??? :) :lol:

What - because you disagree with a notion it must be stupid right?
[/quote]

Gee i've heard that a few times...................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[quote author=Garts]
wasnt he at Parra in 04?

I don't think so....I could be wrong...

anyone??
[/quote]

I am probably thinking of 2003, as now I think about it his previous deal was a 2 year one that expired in 05.

he used to be a half back, not a 5/8 and not the best at that.

There are far better suited players for he role as 5/8th - burns springs to mind, can kick goals as well as ATTACK and DEFEND unlike another goal kicker that has been mentioned in that role

[quote author=Stevie]
Maybe we could Trial Mitch Creary as Hooker ??? :) :lol:

What - because you disagree with a notion it must be stupid right?
[/quote]

Ryan Im just Playing Dont take it to Heart

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4