Dunamis says he was heartbroken when Broncos slashed his contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
Manly recruit Dunamis Lui says he was heartbroken when Broncos slashed his contract

CHRIS GARRY THE COURIER-MAIL JANUARY 16, 2014

However, the prop once considered a ten year player at the Broncos now views the blunt assessment as the moment that will make him.

After showcasing his best form for the Broncos late in 2013 Lui received a downgraded offer from his club, cutting his salary and relegating him from top 25 to second tier.

The Broncos wanted him to stay but needed to manage their salary cap carefully to fit him, so their offer ended up around the $75,000 mark.

It was significantly less than the deal he was on.

The Brisbane-born Lui was actually close to accepting the deal and deliberated for eight weeks before rejecting it.

Gutted but understanding that rugby league is a business, Lui signed with the Manly Sea Eagles which are fast building a Melbourne Storm-like reputation for turning unheralded prospects into stars.

"I couldn't be happier. It is kinda hard to describe it, I'm just really happy", Lui told The Courier-Mail.

"It was heartbreaking to have my contract downgraded.

"It is not something that bothers me anymore though.

"They had their reasons and that's okay.

"Obviously they signed guys like Martin Kennedy who is a good prop and I wasn't sure where I would be."

The Sea Eagles chased Lui due to the mass exodus of front-row talent from the northern beaches.

Cult-hero George Rose moved to the Melbourne Storm, veteran Brent Kite headed west to Penrith, David Gower joined Parramatta and Joe Galuvao retired.

While Richie Fa'aoso is unlikely to be fit for the opening rounds due to a neck injury suffered in last year's finals series.

Lui, 23, is a mobile front-rower who is likely to start off the bench for the Sea Eagles.

It is understood he has already impressed Manly coach Geoff Toovey this pre-season.

He said watching how Queensland's Emerging Origin Squad member Brenton Lawrence transformed from battling prop to standout forward convinced him Manly could bring his best out.

"It is so good down here. I feel great. This is the best I have felt (fitness-wise)", Lui said.

"The training here is different and it suits me better

"We have longer days where we are going from around 9am to 3pm whereas at the Broncos it was just the morning.

"This is a great opportunity.

"I want to earn a starting spot and prove myself."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-recruit-dunamis-lui-says-he-was-heartbroken-when-broncos-slashed-his-contract/story-fni3gnk1-1226803506690

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2