Dubbo: More sophisticated than Mosman

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Gay cowboy cinema snub
Email Print Normal font Large font By Angela Cuming and Christine Sams
February 5, 2006

MILLIONS of Australians have been denied the chance to see the Academy Award-nominated film Brokeback Mountain because of a distributor's decision that some regions are not sophisticated enough to view it.

Despite being one of the most talked-about releases of the year, the movie is not being shown at cinemas in Sydney suburbs including Campbelltown and Blacktown, nor in regions including Newcastle, the Hunter and the Central and South coasts.

A spokesman at the Greater Union complex at Campbelltown said staff had been flooded with calls from people wanting to see the film.

"A few calls? We have had so many it is ridiculous," he said. "We could definitely fill cinema after cinema [if it screened] but the distributor decides where it goes and because it is classified as an art-house film Campbelltown doesn't qualify to see it.

"They must think we are second-rate out here."

But you can see Brokeback Mountain in Wagga Wagga and Dubbo.

Despite the apparent audience divide in Sydney - with western suburbs ignored - cinemas in well-heeled suburbs including Mosman have also received complaints the film is not screening locally.

Locals from western suburbs are particularly miffed about missing out on Brokeback Mountain.

"I find it strange that a movie with an Australian actor with the international recognition of Ledger is not being seen on every screen across the state," Campbelltown Mayor Russell Matheson said.

Mr Matheson said he found it strange and disappointing the film was not screening in the region.

"The Greater Union complex is at Macarthur Square, which is the biggest regional shopping complex in NSW and it looks after the entire region," he said.

Some moviegoers have been forced to travel long distances to see the Oscar favourite.

David Potts, a 31-year-old plumber from Campbelltown, drove for an hour to attend the 9.10pm Friday screening at the Palace Academy Twin in Paddington with his girlfriend, Emily Bell.

He said if the film managed to move him, it had the potential to appeal to suburban audiences.

"I'm a heterosexual male from Campbelltown and it made me feel . . . it was the emotion, the heartache," he said.

"Just the emotion will hit you more than the flesh."

At the same screening was Sean Smith, 22, who drove 30 minutes from Hornsby after discovering his local cinema was not screening the movie.

"It's annoying because it kind of deals with the same themes as other movies," he said.

Joel Pearlman, managing director of film distributor Roadshow, said a "strategic release plan" led to the movie being categorised as "art house" and not suitable for regions including Campbelltown. He said the film's campaign was a "slow build", with an expectation that demand would increase over time.

When questioned about the film's lack of screenings in Sydney's western suburbs, Mr Pearlman said: "It is on at Norton Street, Leichhardt, and the Dendy at Newtown."

The film, which was released on Australia Day, tells the story of two male American ranch hands who fall in love. Apart from Ledger's Academy Award nomination for best actor, the movie is nominated for best film.

Source: The Sun-Herald

You call a movie about two gay guys falling in love (and art house supposedly) more sophisticated???

Are you sure this isn't more propaganda from the gay lobby? (Now I will be branded homophobic) I can't really see a company passing up free dollars - I read the article and phrases such as "locals from the western subuubs" and 'flooded with calls" should be treated with a grain of salt.

Who has actually been to see this movie or wants to???? Market research usually drives these decisions rather than a few unsourced rumoured people!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing the movie as I'm told it is very good. The accent is more on the relationship between the two men rather than any poo jabbing exploits.

If it's anything like Closer it will leave me depressed for a week!

i just cant help but think about the south park episode where they go to see the art house film about 2 gay cowboys

lol....what a lame bait!

Ohh a few complaints from greater union???

The orpheum still exists you know!

Spud's bodyguard and i smuggled a 700ml bottle of Jack Daniels into the orpheum a while ago to see Bad Santa. A large coke each later and it was gone and so were we. Spud ended up throwing popcorn everywhere and jaffas were flying and rolling.

Spud's bodyguard and i smuggled a 700ml bottle of Jack Daniels into the orpheum a while ago to see Bad Santa. A large coke each later and it was gone and so were we. Spud ended up throwing popcorn everywhere and jaffas were flying and rolling.

And you didnt call me to come have a beer?

Man I live just around the corner from there

That movies farking wrong- who would want to go see a movie with two ....cowboys in it, they are soooo not cool!
All that aside I agree that alot is just a marketing exercise and due to this extra attention some groups ( all be it narrow minded ones) have kicked up a stink. It's bemusing some of the full on stuff that has been through cinemas without a second glance but because this one stars Heath Ledger and was up for major awards it has all the moral crusaders jumping on board.
It was funny to hear Qld MP Bob Katters hill billy response (while doning a cowboy hat himself), with an Aussie chuckle he said, "I've can tell you now, I have never see a fcuking gay cowboy and there aren't any."....right Bob - and you've travelled the globe surveying them all about there sexual preference....

[quote author=The Fonz]

And you didnt call me to come have a beer?

Man I live just around the corner from there
[/quote]

Mate it was about 1 year ago now. I was posting on OEE then and i thought you guys were wankers. I have since found this to be false. Anyway, after the movie we ended up at minskys until they kicked us out at 3 o'clock. It was a thursday night. We took turns at sleeping on the floor at work the next day.

John Wayne would be turning in his grave. Gay cowboys.

What next? A week without any stabbings or murders with the suspects described as of middle eastern appearnce?

Perhaps there might be lots of gay cowboys in Dubbo just ready to out themselves at the opening night?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4