Tragic ex-Great Britain rugby league star Terry Newton was found hanged at his home yesterday. The 31-year-old player was suspended from the game for two years in February after taking the banned human growth hormone drug hGH. Police said there were no suspicious circumstances. He had posted an apparent suicide note on his Facebook page in the early hours. It read: "Luv u all but end time xxxx" Dad-of-two Newton, married to Stacey, had suffered depression in the past, sparked by the death of his younger sister Leanne from heroin abuse in 2008. Former England team-mate Sean Long said he had spoken to the hooker, who played for Leeds, Wigan, Bradford and Wakefield, on Saturday and he seemed happy. He added: "He was running a fund-raising event in his pub and he was in good spirits. Then I got the phone call today to say he was dead. It's devastating. "Terry was such a nice bloke I cannot believe this has happened. The highlight of his career was playing for his country. Advertisement - article continues below Ã‚Â» "Terry was a tough bloke on the pitch but a top guy to have a pint with." Newton lost his contract with Wakefield due to the drug scandal. His coach at the club, John Kear, said: "He is a modern day great of the game who will be sorely missed. This is was a so tragic." Rfl chairman Richard Lewis added: "We are deeply shocked and saddened by the news of Terry's untimely death." Two-times Challenge Cup winner Newton's body was found at his home in Orrell near Wigan. After being suspended by the Anti-Doping Agency, the fearsome forward bought a pub with his father-in-law and started a new career as a landlord. But in a TV interview three weeks ago, he admitted he wanted to play again. Newton said: "Every day I wish I was going to training with the lads. I miss the craic." The star, who grew up on one of Wigan's toughest estates, began experimenting with hGH in July 2009 while injured. He was so impressed by how it speeded up recovery that he carried on injecting it. After becoming the first sportsman in the world to test positive for the drug, he said: "I regret my stupid mistake. But I'm positive about the future."