Drug culture

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Just read about Danny Wicks.  Nothing has changed up there.  Just give us our 97 premiership please.

Danny Wicks is not an NRL footballer who has allegedly been caught dealing drugs.

Danny Wicks is an alleged Drug Dealer who plays NRL football.

Seems they have gone from performance enhancing to recreational use to full out dealing.

What's next? An ice lab in the locker rooms?

Yes, give us back our Establishment-competition Premiership trophy of 1997! The year that got away.

I hate Newcastle but taking my Manly coloured glasses off for a second, I do feel a little sorry for the Knights hierarchy and if you guys think we are immune to something like this cropping up you're kidding yourself. While I'm in no way implying any Manly players would be that stupid- it would be foolish to think Newcastle are the only club with players involved in dodgy activities.
a) I very much doubt the Knights top honchos knew about the extent of Wicks activities.
b) While I'm sure there alot of NRL players who are quite intelligent, Wicks clearly is not one of them.
c) I'm sure all players are well advised on their responsibilities as a first grade NRL player.
d) you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink!
Wicks should cop it but the club shouldn't - for all we know he could have started his side business when he was playing with St George...

PJ link said:
I hate Newcastle but taking my Manly coloured glasses off for a second, I do feel a little sorry for the Knights hierarchy and if you guys think we are immune to something like this cropping up you're kidding yourself. While I'm in no way implying any Manly players would be that stupid- it would be foolish to think Newcastle are the only club with players involved in dodgy activities.
a) I very much doubt the Knights top honchos knew about the extent of Wicks activities.
b) While I'm sure there alot of NRL players who are quite intelligent, Wicks clearly is not one of them.
c) I'm sure all players are well advised on their responsibilities as a first grade NRL player.
Wicks should cop it but the club shouldn't - for all we know he could have started his side business when he was playing with St George...
For years certain injuries have been treated with ice, but Knights players are now taking this to a new level by using it well before they get injured.

On a serious note though you make a fair point, however long ago the days of Andrew Walker may seem they are not really that long ago.

The cliche is that drugs are a problem within the wider community not just in league, and of course this is true. However each club does have a particular culture and thankfully our club - under the guidance of Des - has been developing a strong culture once again which is reflected in our on-field results. This in turn means we have been able to be a little more selective about who we bring into the club.

Anyone who thinks our club is immune from issues that affect the whole community has a very short memory indeed. As for laughing at the misfortune of the Knights - or Roosters, Sharks etc etc - well laughter is a good thing but I generally agree with your sentiments above.
On a different topic, I think recent events involving Danny may have finally unravelled a mystery which had vexed me for a very long time, namely the difference between a beer gut and a pot belly.  

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
[quote author=PJ link=topic=182179.msg247805#msg247805 date=1261238360]
For years certain injuries have been treated with ice, but Knights players are now taking this to a new level by using it well before they get injured.

On a serious note though you make a fair point, however long ago the days of Andrew Walker may seem they are not really that long ago.

The cliche is that drugs are a problem within the wider community not just in league, and of course this is true. However each club does have a particular culture and thankfully our club - under the guidance of Des - has been developing a strong culture once again which is reflected in our on-field results. This in turn means we have been able to be a little more selective about who we bring into the club.

Anyone who thinks our club is immune from issues that affect the whole community has a very short memory indeed. As for laughing at the misfortune of the Knights - or Roosters, Sharks etc etc - well laughter is a good thing but I generally agree with your sentiments above.
On a different topic, I think recent events involving Danny may have finally unravelled a mystery which had vexed me for a very long time, namely the difference between a beer gut and a pot belly. 

[/quote]

Dont discount how our club started 2009, we are not one to be laughing at the the plight of Newcastle & Roosters for that matter.  We still have a player required to front court on an extremely serious charge & while I would hope there is not a drug culture within our team we do have a bit of a party/drinking culture and as in the wider community that tends to lead to 'trouble'.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6