• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just been watching the news on the AFL draft for the best young players and shaking my head at why we don’t have this in the NRL.

Yeah I know the story as to why we don’t have a player draft but this young player draft is a bloody good idea.

Im not exactly sure how it works but I guess the last placed side gets first pick and then goes up to the first placed side getting the last pick.

Then clubs can trade picks ( not sure why but they do ).

So your thoughts on this ???

And would it work in the NRL ???

And if it works in the AFL, and you think it won’t work in the NRL, why ???

Just been watching the news on the AFL draft for the best young players and shaking my head at why we don’t have this in the NRL.

Yeah I know the story as to why we don’t have a player draft but this young player draft is a bloody good idea.

Im not exactly sure how it works but I guess the last placed side gets first pick and then goes up to the first placed side getting the last pick.

In essence a super idea Mark....but - It would probably make things too fair and a lot of the cashed up clubs who buy everyone and have no salary cap would not like that.

Most likely more accepted and just an assumption because of A F L "s broader type state "s coverage . Especially before states like W A and Sth Australia had sides in their comp . Just not the same club attachment even though things are a bit different now and would think that clubs still get i st opportunity or scope to retain their preferred juniors . Even if they do have to put the occasional club junior in the draft . Probably not that much different to the American gridiron arrangement . As has been often mentioned here , tribalism and that restraint of trade aspect in the N R L will most likely leave the status quo for quite some time yet or indefinitely for that matter .

I'd love it.
It would be the beginning of transparency and mean a better distribution of talent.
Pretty sure the likes of the Storm, Roosters, and Panthers would have a problem. Funny they happen to be the top teams.

I've never been happy with the Salary Cap/ TPA issue. Its too open to shonky deals. A draft or player points system would be more likely to balance talent out. The NRL is dominated by a few clubs with money or with huge junior areas. Its inequitable, if you want to hold onto supporters and sponsorship. Each team ideally needs to have a real opportunity of winning the comp. A draft or player point system would negate a lot of the money under the table nonsense and lets not pretend it doesn't happen big time.

Also why shouldn "t guys like Jake , Turbo and Burbo for that matter not have the choice of being able to be one club players at Manly and other club "s situation over time . Hughes and Mortimors being other examples and just imagine losing Beaver and other very talented juniors back in the day . Still a big no from me and not just self interest for Manly 's sake .

A great idea. Son in law is a mad Geelong fan (and backs Manly ) and explained how it works to try to even the competition ...... poor and rich clubs all benefit and the young players compete for their future on an even field.

Also why shouldn "t guys like Jake , Turbo and Burbo for that matter not have the choice of being able to be one club players at Manly and other club "s situation over time . Hughes and Mortimors being other examples and just imagine losing Beaver and other very talented juniors back in the day . Still a big no from me and not just self interest for Manly 's sake .
Remembering they only sign for a couple of years and are free agents after that.

I do get your point , but do look at the current situation.

Panthers , pick from the largest junior competition area and get all the best players.

Storm , no junior competition in their area so just cherry pick from the best available.

Roosters , as with the Storm.

A very good example is JWH, brought up through our system , cherry picked for huge dollars , went on to be arguably the best Prop in the game.

Now , not saying we’d be able to keep him under this system but it would be fairer to the other 16 clubs to get a chance to sign a future superstar.

We live in one of the best liberal democracies on the planet ... stick your communistic plot to reward incompetence and punish success, social engineering claptrap, ... up your arrsse!
Seems it's time you joined the other delusional Roosters supporters Woodsie.
I can see you in Red White and Blue.
Fetching!

A very good example is JWH, brought up through our system , cherry picked for huge dollars , went on to be arguably the best Prop in the game.

yeah, nah ... we poached him all growed up from Northern Suburbs Rugby ... and at great expense

Seems it's time you joined the other delusional Roosters supporters Woodsie.
I can see you in Red White and Blue.
Fetching!

No, I am just a philosophical product of the Sea Eagles of the 70's ... where the good succeeded and the losers can please themselves ...

It is no good introducing measures to bring the front-runners back to the pack ... that is counter product and ultimately damaging to the code .... the onus has to be that it is up to the losers to lift themselves up to the standard of the front runners .. or perish ... see ya Norths !

Case in point .. we finished 11th ... so what did we do ... we sacked everybody who stuck there heads up ... employed a new coaching team of thousands ... cleaned out the office ... all in the desire to improve ...

What we didn't do is sit on our arrses like stunned cane-toads waiting for big brother NRL to give us first pick of 19 year olds ...

PSS ... suggest I'm a roosters supporter again Budgie and you won't be getting a xmas card this year!

I'm a basketball guy and i love the NBA draft and the free agency and the trade talk. But the draft works over there, as there is no junior system attached to the franchises.

In terms of the NRL the clubs do have their own juniors, so having a situation where Tommy Turbo gets drafted by Newcastle or whoever isn't going to please the player or Manly.

As some other posters have pointed out a better way to create a more equitable competition is sort out the TPA stuff as that's where the clubs with the money and the contacts get a massive leg up.

Last edited:
Tom T could have been sent to the Cows and Jake to the Warriors and never played for Manly.

I would hope that the NRL never reaches the stage that it implements a scheme which compulsorily transports 17 year old boys from their homes to live somewhere up to 4,000 kms away that they have no family and support ties in.

The NFL draft you have to at least be 20 years old.

Unlike the AFL, in the NRL a draft could mean forcibly leaving your home country.

I'm a basketball guy and i love the NBA draft and the free agency and the trade talk. But the draft works over there, as there is no junior system attached to the franchises.

In terms of the NRL the clubs do have their own juniors, so having a situation where Tommy Turbo gets drafted by Newcastle or whoever isn't going to please the player or Manly.

As some other posters have pointed out a better way to create a more equitable competition is sort out the TPA stuff as that's where the clubs with the money and the contacts get a massive leg up.
Not sure why anytime another sport has their draft,people lazily suggest League needs to get one.There are a myriad of reasons why a draft wouldn’t work in the NRL in its current set up,not the least being that if teams like Penrith,for example,start not getting first access to the best players in their system,they’ll stop developing players

Tom T could have been sent to the Cows and Jake to the Warriors and never played for Manly.

I would hope that the NRL never reaches the stage that it implements a scheme which compulsorily transports 17 year old boys from their homes to live somewhere up to 4,000 kms away that they have no family and support ties in.

The NFL draft you have to at least be 20 years old.

Unlike the AFL, in the NRL a draft could mean forcibly leaving your home country.
US sports for the most part get their players from incredibly well funded and robust college competitions. Rugby League talent is mostly developed by NRL affiliated clubs.

If a draft was to work the NRL would have to spend Millions on developing a high quality junior competition that was independent of the 1st grade teams. To introduce a draft without doing this would never work because no club is gonna bother developing talent to supply other clubs.

I like the idea in theory but can't see it ever working for the NRL.

Last edited:
US sports for the most part get their players from incredibly well funded and robust college competitions. Rugby League talent is mostly developed by NRL affiliated clubs.

If a draft was to work the NRL would have to spend Millions on a developing a high quality junior competition that was independent of the 1st grade teams. To introduce a draft without doing this would never work because no club is gonna bother developing talent to supply other clubs.

I like the idea in theory but can't see it ever working for the NRL.
Forget US sports for a moment. Do no AFL clubs have juniors teams? I do not know as I do not follow the code.

Remembering they only sign for a couple of years and are free agents after that.

I do get your point , but do look at the current situation.

Panthers , pick from the largest junior competition area and get all the best players.

Storm , no junior competition in their area so just cherry pick from the best available.

Roosters , as with the Storm.

Now , not saying we’d be able to keep him under this system but it would be fairer to the other 16 clubs to get a chance to sign a future superstar.
Most likely could have kept J W H at the time but club in their wisdom and probably correct at the time had Kite , josh Perry , Jason King and maybe one or two others ahead of him and not prepared to match Roosters offer . Cap considerations and guess then and at this stage still one of the requirements putting at least some parity into the comp .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4