Draft will drive any talent to our rivals, warns Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL chief executive David Gallop has warned that players could be driven into the arms of rugby union if the push within the code to adopt a draft system continues.

A draft and other alternatives to the player transfer system will be hotly debated at the next chief executives meeting where a sub-committee is likely to be formed to look at every option.

Read the full article

Anyone in favour of a draft?

Not sure i like the idea. Must be a better option out there.

I kind of like the idea if signings being allowed in the off season. From maybe October to the end of January.

TerryRandall said:
Is it just me, or does David Gallop seems to be very good at criticising solutions to everything, without offering up anything himself? If I was a journalist - Question 1 "David, do you think constant speculation about player movements is detrimental to the game?". Question 2 "What do you propose to do about it?"

The lack of decent follow up questions, or even harder than usual questions by sports journos has bewildered me for years to the point I am almost immune to their lack of backbone.

I guess they are frightened they won't be allowed into media conferences or they'll miss out on 'scoops'.

Edit: That said, Gallop is a pussy.

As someone said before about bennett and his signing of beau scott when he said 'oh don't even try to talk to me about this when every club does it"....why didn't the journo bring up the point about hodges?

weak.

Tis probably the price we pay for making them into superstars. This happens in all sports too. Movie stars? You bet, etc , and for good measure...etc.

Edit: That said, Gallop is a pussy.

I'm for a draft. It works beautifully in the AFL.
We lose players to union now anyway, and then they always come back because union SUCKS.
The downside would be players going where that don't want to but in the real world people get sent all over the place and have to travel all over the place for work.
They have a pretty good gig and sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad.
A draft would be better than what is happening at the moment.

Says who?
If a kid wants to play RL he'll play RL. If not then he'll play the other sports.

There's ex footy players that went on and had great careers at other clubs that supported Manly during there childhood didn't stop them from playing.

Everytime Gallop opens his mouth just displays the fact that he is a brain dead numpty

If I was a kid coming up through Manly's grades, I'd only want to play with Manly. Why should I be forced to go play with the Titans? Two signing windows like in EPL, no cap, a ten million donation from the centre to each team, each year to do whatever it wants, and a promotion and relegation, meaning a two tier competition comprising the top 12 teams and another with the remaining four NRL teams (Parra, Easts, Souths and Cronulla) joined by 6 more*.
The top two of the second tier promoted and the bottom two of the top tier relegated.
*Two in Qld,
Perth
Adelaide
South Island NZ
PNG.

I'm anti draft. All a draft does is reward mediocrity in your competition. If you think it works in the AFL, you must think its good for the sport when half the teams are more interested in blooding youngster than winning a game and at various points hoping they lose games so they get a better pick.

I'm for a transfer window with huge punishments for clubs who break the rules. A CEO could actually spend a good portion of the year running the club and looking at growing the business instead going from meeting to meeting with player managers. Player managers themselves could also spend the time looking after their clients well being instead of hunting for an extra dollar.

What the IC needs to rethink is the whole junior system. IMO some clubs junior bases are too big for them to look after. There are way too many good kids who don't get the training/opportunities they deserve because the clubs can't cater for them. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I think the current set up isn't making the most of the talent available.

Post October transfer window/contract re-signing window is the best option, then have a draft for anyone that wants to be drafted. If your senior team doesn't want you then you should be allowed to get drafted to another team to get your career rolling. Anyone drafted though should be exempt from the cap and can only get a max contract of $100,000

Jono said:
Post October transfer window/contract re-signing window is the best option, then have a draft for anyone that wants to be drafted. If your senior team doesn't want you then you should be allowed to get drafted to another team to get your career rolling. Anyone drafted though should be exempt from the cap and can only get a max contract of $100,000

That last part is an excellent idea. Gives players a chance and doesn't hurt clubs for taking a risk on them either.

If player managers could act with integrity and follow a transfer window then we wouldn't have this issue. Unfortunately that will never happen

Clay said:
If player managers could act with integrity and follow a transfer window then we wouldn't have this issue. Unfortunately that will never happen

You just have to make the fines so large its not worth the risk. Much bigger codes than the NRL enforce these sorts of conditions on their participants.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6