Don't Panic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Technical Coach said:
. Could be a case of managing our troops to last the season then lift the intensity back to the normal Manly approach come finals time.

To be honest we really don't have the ball and all aggressive tackling depth of previous seasons and the current players renowned for such aggression are cutting back the amount of this style of play to preserve themselves and also due to age.

It stands to reason that at this stage with a 4 point gap we would go to a more conservative approach. It was really pointless us expending enormous energy and effort to try and outplay,outmuscle and outrun Souffs the other night. You hold back your troops and only committ all when there is no 2nd chance. We wil unleash it all in the finals just like 2008 and 2011 BUT we must take a top 2 position to do it and avoid losing in week 1. We put everything into that first semi last year vs the rorters as did they and the winner of that game won the premiership that night. It'll bode well for us if we hold 1st and Souffs and rorters come 2nd and 3rd. They will have played each other twice within a week and will bash themselves to a standstill. The loser will be gone and the winner will be severley battle fatigued.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I confess that so far I am surprised we've done so well.
If we actually win the comp using forwards like JSL, Lui, Starling and Hasson it will show that the game has changed in some fundamental way (and will also stamp Toovey as a great Manly coach).

Manly have already changed the way the game is played in many areas.

Hasler improved the ball movement options in the forwards, improved strength levels and training techniques on top of using second man plays not just in an attacking zone sense but to gain soft out wide metres using our backrow and backs.

Toovey has increased our speed and straightness around the ruck in our go forward and getting more go forward from our backrow and backs more so than our front row.(improving on Haslers stats in this area)

We are more disciplined more mobile and run better attacking plays, but less aggressive, less line bending in our go forward and no longer a dominant tackling team with more missed tackles more offloads against us and we struggle to slow the play ball at times.

Interesting. I recall a couple of years back (maybe 2010) there were a number of matches in which we were very dominant yet failed to win. Yet this year, as you say with a less physically dominant style and with a number of relatively inexperienced forwards we are topping the ladder.

I enjoyed watching us hammer teams but I'd prefer a win any day.

All sports go through cycles where brains beat brawn then brawn beats brains to a good mix of both before the cycle starts all over again.

South's to me is somewhere in between Manly 07 and 08 in relation to their growth as a team, Roosters and Souths have elevated the strength and explosive side while Roosters developed some nice simple effective plays and have a great mix of all elements.

If the draw works out with Roosters and Souths playing to their potential I feel this will be the GF.

I don't think the Roosters are capable of 'playing to their potential'. They have played like millionaires all year, and I don't think they can just switch it on for the run to the finals.

I'm really hoping that if the rorters and rabbids finish in the top 4 then the finals works out like this.
1st Manly
2nd Souffs
3rd Rorters
4th Penrith

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Interesting. I recall a couple of years back (maybe 2010) there were a number of matches in which we were very dominant yet failed to win. Yet this year, as you say with a less physically dominant style and with a number of relatively inexperienced forwards we are topping the ladder.

Many games we were physically dominant but failed to win from 09-12, due to our bad attacking structures.

Attack can still improve but many times better than this period and is the reason why we are still winning games.

Obviously the growth and maturity in our halves is part of the reason on top of improved straighter structures and go forward directness around the ruck.

Andrew Johns involvement also and was one of the best decisions Toovey made off the mark as coach, was not too proud to admit he did not have all the answers in attack and seeked help.

A coach does not have to know everything but just make the right choices more often than not--- a great attribute Toovey has.

Technical Coach said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Many games we were physically dominant but failed to win from 09-12, due to our bad attacking structures.

Attack can still improve but many times better than this period and is the reason why we are still winning games.

Obviously the growth and maturity in our halves is part of the reason on top of improved straighter structures and go forward directness around the ruck.

Andrew Johns involvement also and was one of the best decisions Toovey made off the mark as coach, was not too proud to admit he did not have all the answers in attack and seeked help.

A coach does not have to know everything but just make the right choices more often than not--- a great attribute Toovey has.

However, he needs to employ a decent pig farmer. Our pigs are scrawny and no match for some of the big packs out there.

Jerry1 said:
However, he needs to employ a decent pig farmer. Our pigs are scrawny and no match for some of the big packs out there.

Geez that's harsh Jerry.

Our scrawny pigs have matched most packs, including getting over the Rabbids, Rorters, Dogs and the biggest team around recently (the Warriors IN NZ).

And had us 4 points clear just last week.

With our roster rich in halves and back line talent, I believe we've done outstandingly for years now, making the best we can forwards-wise and we remain on-top of all teams right now (including all their pigs) mate.

RiverEagle said:
Jerry1 said:

Geez that's harsh Jerry.

Our scrawny pigs have matched most packs, including getting over the Rabbids, Rorters, Dogs and the biggest team around recently (the Warriors IN NZ).

And had us 4 points clear just last week.

With our roster rich in halves and back line talent, I believe we've done outstandingly for years now, making the best we can forwards-wise and we remain on-top of all teams right now (including all their pigs) mate.

G'day all,When you think about it history is littered with stories of victory against the odds,little guys triumphing against far superior opposition and conversely might completely crushing a numerically challenged opponent and this is not just confined to sport.This has given rise to a range of adages to describe these situations,such as 'David v Goliath'or brains beat brawn,a good big guy will beat a good little guy or its the size of the fight in the dog to name a few.
It's probably fair to say that each has been proven to be true at different times and, with regards to footie, there are other factors that come into play,for example playing conditions on the day may suit one side more than the other,so its not just necessarily the size of the combatants.
cheers mike

mickqld said:
I'm really hoping that if the rorters and rabbids finish in the top 4 then the finals works out like this.
1st Manly
2nd Souffs
3rd Rorters
4th Penrith

I see your point mick.

Winning in week 1 is crucial.

Wherever we finish up (1st, 2nd, etc.) the 'Riff would be the lesser test at this stage.
No Wallace, Peachey, probly Kitey and others for the rest of the year now.

They were still OK against a willing Dragons yesterday; but even the Cows may take their top 4 spot by round 26.

Overall it's a slight oddity that it may not pay to finish 1st and minor-premiers (depending on who finishes 4th).

Ultimately though any team worth it's mettle will accept and try to beat all challengers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4