Don't believe the hype: Newton tells his Manly opponents to stay cool

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
Don't believe the hype: Newton tells his Manly opponents to stay cool
April 9, 2012

MANLY coach Geoff Toovey and his players have found an unlikely ally on the eve of tonight's bid to end a three-match losing streak when they take on Penrith, after Panthers forward Clint Newton called for critics to lay off the struggling premiers.

After starting this year's campaign where they left off last year, with wins over the Warriors in a round one grand final replay at Eden Park and pre-season premiership favourites Wests Tigers in Gosford, the Sea Eagles have been beaten by the Dragons, Sharks and bottom club Parramatta.

However, Newton said it was too early to write off any team, and took aim at regular claims teams such as Manly, the Tigers and Eels are in ''crisis'' after back-to-back losses.

''Manly are the premiership holders, so I find it unbelievable really,'' said Newton, who has returned this season after four years in Super League. ''Just from the time I went to England until now, I can't believe how much more hype there is about teams winning and losing.

''Obviously, that is what pays the bills and the fans want to see victories every week, but if a team loses two games in a row, panic buttons are being pushed everywhere - not so much by the club and the players but by the media and the fans.''

Having been a member of the 2005 Newcastle team that lost 13 consecutive games, Newton said he had reassured Parramatta players after their 39-6 loss to Penrith, saying things would turn around.

''I said to a couple of the boys that when you have lost 12 or 13 games on the bounce, then you can come and talk to me and some of the Newcastle blokes who were around in that period, but lo and behold, they went and beat Manly last week,'' he said. ''If there is a message there for the players, it is to try not to get caught up in the hype.''

The Panthers have also won just two games but were eighth going into this weekend's round compared with Manly's 13th.

Newton, who was approached by Penrith supremo Phil Gould to provide some much-needed experience in the forwards following the loss of Trent Waterhouse and Petero Civoniceva, said he was ''frustrated'' he hadn't yet hit top form.

''My attitude was that I wanted to be coming back all guns blazing sort of thing, but that probably wasn't realistic,'' the 30-year-old USA Tomahawks representative said. ''You have seen with most guys who come from England, especially with a new team and a new structure, that it takes time.

''I think, mentally, it is a big challenge coming back from England not to believe all the hype that you have to be a superhuman to play in the NRL.

''I would like to be doing better but I think, given time, I should be sweet.''
Newton said the Panthers had improved and were aiming to string some back-to-back wins together.

''Probably the best part about it is that everyone is beating everyone, so if you win two or three in a row, you are probably up the top,'' he said.
''It just seems that every week, other than Melbourne, teams go from favourites to being in dire straits, and then if they win a couple of games in row, everyone says they are title contenders.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dont-believe-the-hype-newton-tells-his-manly-opponents-to-stay-cool-20120408-1wjov.html

fair enough.

that's how you'd want your players to talk about your opposition in the press though.

why give them any ammunition.

anyway it's 4am there so no one is awake in manly - land.

tis 8pm Sunday night in Paris so.......

toodle tesdle toodle teedle toodle dumpie dooooooooo

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6